Why does everyone seem to miss this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2013, 04:13 PM
RE: Why does everyone seem to miss this?
my brother was an atheist in a foxhole...

a better retort might be, "then why do they all wear bullet proof vests instead of relying on divine protection?"

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes multidaytim's post
26-07-2013, 04:34 PM
So my own father is not evidence enough that there are atheists in foxholes. Fuck that shit. Drinking Beverage

I didn't get lugged around the world, torn from all that was familiar for me, and watch my father get deployed three times for nothing.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
26-07-2013, 05:05 PM
(26-07-2013 12:35 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I still haven't seen anyone counter with the criticism that first springs to my mind; how fucking retarded is it to try and assert the existence of God by pointing out that people are generally more receptive to the idea when they are at their most illogical. That's the thing with the whole "atheists in foxholes" argument, it really does seem to be an argument against the existence of a deity. By pointing out that people are more likely to believe when they are desperate and irrational they are showing how invalid that belief is.

Nice point.

This same argument could be made against theists that claim that they (or some unknown 'friend) 'found god' when they were down and out, drug addicted, alcoholic, suicidal or some other low point that life hands us.

"Yeah sure, I 'found god' when my rational thought processes were at their worst, brought on by the stress of (pick one or more): loss of a job, spouse leaving or dying, alcohol induced fog, diagnosed with major chronic disease. What's wrong with that?".
26-07-2013, 05:27 PM
(26-07-2013 05:05 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  This same argument could be made against theists that claim that they (or some unknown 'friend) 'found god' when they were down and out, drug addicted, alcoholic, suicidal or some other low point that life hands us.

Calling KingsChosen ... KingsChosen you there? ... Nah, dude already gets this. Don't bother him none. When you're wearing rhino skin why would you undress?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
26-07-2013, 07:37 PM
(26-07-2013 02:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why yes, yes he could. ... Still can for that matter.

Whatchutalkinbout, Willis?
Dude was killed by friendly fire, which doesn't sound too fuckin friendly to me.

I'm pretty sure you could take him now.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
26-07-2013, 07:53 PM
(26-07-2013 07:37 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 02:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why yes, yes he could. ... Still can for that matter.

Whatchutalkinbout, Willis?
Dude was killed by friendly fire, which doesn't sound too fuckin friendly to me.

Didn't watch the viddie did you old man. Dude's dead and he can still kick your ass just by looking at you. Tongue

26-07-2013, 08:38 PM
Why does everyone seem to miss this?
(26-07-2013 07:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 07:37 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Whatchutalkinbout, Willis?

Didn't watch the viddie did you old man. Dude's dead and he can still kick your ass just by looking at you. Tongue

Why would I watch a video of a dead man when I can be watching Rolling Stones videos? Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
26-07-2013, 08:39 PM
(26-07-2013 08:38 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 07:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Didn't watch the viddie did you old man. Dude's dead and he can still kick your ass just by looking at you. Tongue

Why would I watch a video of a dead man when I can be watching Rolling Stones videos? Tongue

hehehehehe ... same thing. Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-07-2013, 06:38 PM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2013 06:43 PM by PeterKA.)
We called them DFP's, every army has their own terminology and its only civvies call them foxholes because they usually aren't holes at all. Holes are too permanent and if you cant move around in a firefight you are pretty fucked...been there....still an atheist

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
[+] 1 user Likes PeterKA's post
28-07-2013, 03:29 AM
(27-07-2013 06:38 PM)PeterKA Wrote:  We called them DFP's, every army has their own terminology and its only civvies call them foxholes because they usually aren't holes at all. Holes are too permanent and if you cant move around in a firefight you are pretty fucked...been there....still an atheist

Couldn't correct us if you didn't know what we meant. Wink

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]