Why does human nature not evolve?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Why does human nature not evolve?
Every time a man does something masculine or caveman-like or hunter/gatherer-esque, the action is usually described as "human nature." Likewise with a nurturing, protective mother. "I can't help but be overprotective of my daughter. It's just human nature." But human nature seems rather primitive in the modern world. It's as flinchingly primal and barbaric as early racist America was. Or we'll attribute obesity to our natural instinct to eat everything in sight from mankind's "staying alive" (not the Bee Gees) stage.

Why is it that our nature doesn't adapt to the new conditions? Why are we forever stuck in early panic survival mode? What is this original code? Why can't we download Version 2.0?

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2013, 08:58 PM
RE: Why does human nature not evolve?
I think it does evolve.....just slowly.

A download -- that would be useful.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

28-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Possibly because tendencies that don't aid survival, or are actually detrimental to survival, die along with the species that tried them out, before they can be reinforced, over & over again, into instincts. Some of the instincts that have been reinforced, since they aid our survival as a species, pre-date our capacity for sentient thought. So they weigh heavier on our actions than our conscious thinking can compensate for.

It still "feels" good to cook steaks over a fire when I get the chance. The internet, with all it's wonderful information to feed your thoughts, can't take care of that pain in your gut when you get hungry! Eating more than you should to make sure that doesn't happen again can be something you do that your not even aware of until after the fact. Don't people loose their "minds" when starvation hits? Which would indicate your body doesn't feel your thought processes are as important as whatever else needs to be fed!

Or, I don't know Tongue

28-07-2013, 09:09 PM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2013 09:33 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(28-07-2013 08:39 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Every time a man does something masculine or caveman-like or hunter/gatherer-esque, the action is usually described as "human nature." Likewise with a nurturing, protective mother. "I can't help but be overprotective of my daughter. It's just human nature." But human nature seems rather primitive in the modern world. It's as flinchingly primal and barbaric as early racist America was. Or we'll attribute obesity to our natural instinct to eat everything in sight from mankind's "staying alive" (not the Bee Gees) stage.

Why is it that our nature doesn't adapt to the new conditions? Why are we forever stuck in early panic survival mode? What is this original code? Why can't we download Version 2.0?

What msbb said.
It does very slowly. Look at things 3000 years ago, and now. There have been humans on Earth in the 24 hour timescale for a few minutes. And if you read Ray Kurzweil, ("The Singularity is Near"), who I believe to be somewhat correct, in about 50 -75 years (40 ??), humans will have self-evolving implants to download "version 2.0" (or actually the every 24 h knowledge update). Human knowledge doubles every 10 years. That's "parabolic"/geometric, and the curve has turned up to nearly vertical, IMO. 10 years ago there were no iPods. Now everyone has one almost "attached". We're gettin' there. There are labs in this country, (prolly elsewhere too), that have the technology to interface between nanotechnology and nerves. Our memories have increased by factors of ten just by having Wiki at our fingertips.
Buck up, Buddy.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-07-2013, 09:29 PM
(28-07-2013 09:09 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 08:39 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Every time a man does something masculine or caveman-like or hunter/gatherer-esque, the action is usually described as "human nature." Likewise with a nurturing, protective mother. "I can't help but be overprotective of my daughter. It's just human nature." But human nature seems rather primitive in the modern world. It's as flinchingly primal and barbaric as early racist America was. Or we'll attribute obesity to our natural instinct to eat everything in sight from mankind's "staying alive" (not the Bee Gees) stage.

What msbb said.
It does very slowly. Look at things 3000 years ago, and now. There have been humans on Earth in the 24 hour timescale for a few minutes. And if you read Ray Kurzweil, ("The Singularity is Near"), who I believe to be somewhat correct, in about 50 -75 years (40 ??), humans will have self-evolving implants to download "version 2.0" (or actually the every 24 h knowledge update). Human knowledge doubles every 10 years. That's "parabolic", and the curve has turned up to nearly vertical, IMO. 10 years ago there were no iPods. Now everyone has one almost "attached". We're gettin' there.

Eh. So land-line phone sex becomes mobile 'sexting'. That instinct isn't going anywhere no matter how hard you try to think it away Undecided
...Thank evolution Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
28-07-2013, 09:52 PM
I think we say things are "human nature" when many times it's actually human culture. Men being cavemen or women being protective could be just a cultural thing. Yeah, probably there is some level of biological predisposition for some things, but we naturalize too many things when they're actually just social convention.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
28-07-2013, 11:34 PM

I would like to correct you first off, "early racist America" was not the only racist nation back then. It was quite common. That is for the history section though.

It comes down to how culture changes. In medieval times, parents wed their children as young as ten years old. Now that is illegal and marriage age is regarded as much older. It is now human nature to wait until you our financially and emotionally ready for marriage(most of the time) . It is basic human nature to need caring for when a toddler and younger, that does not change. Atleast, I can not see it evolutionary speaking. Culture determines how you react to certain stimuli and what you consider human nature, like whether or not you let your kids go off at 16.

" My friends. You bow to no one. " - Aragorn

"A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. " — Samuel Clemens

Simple....buy low, sell high.

Life in Rivendell is nice .
29-07-2013, 12:16 AM
Issue of gender stereotypes aside, "humans" have lived longer as "hunter gatherers" than they have lived "civilized".

There is no way these biological instincts would or should have been diminished.

Something I mused over, whether correctly or incorrectly, that relates to this thread: humans have evolved to "lust" over sugars, salts, and fats. These foods are very rare in nature, and EXTREMELY beneficial for the body. So we evolved to "lust" after them - if you had a chance to consume it, you sure as hell will.
But since now we can mass produce these, to the point where these are some of the cheapest foodstuffs on the planet (one reason why western poor are obese), this biological instinct to crave sugars, salts, and fats is detrimental. One thought is to alter our biology artificially to prevent these cravings. I'd prefer to change our society and economies to stop being so predatory and peddling these "drugs". I'm not saying issue quotas on consumption, but if you do consume it, it won't be because every foodstuff contains it or it being advertised constantly.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
29-07-2013, 03:00 AM
bc any is only absolutely living, and nature reference for life is the floor

while the floor by definition is the most inferior thing

it is always the same problem, noone when he got the chance would involve itself in pointing else existence, everyone when they got the chance prefer to b in powers over everything or out of it absolutely

then of course, existence absolute reference is always the most inferior thing life

especially that there is so much powers involved

evolution cant b but from up, bc what is superior is relatively free and what is free is always an absolute

so only what is relatively free can realize objective superiority by considering it positively so its freedom would b more present while nothing objectively then it could realize smthg for itself alone

but the individual character of existence would b certain exclusive form

it would necessarily involve superior free dimensions, which of course noone wants

humans nature is based on nature selishness and god figure of possessor so powers over anything

so the idea of true freedom and consideration to objective superiority at least as a way to advance absolutely, is totally rejected, no way even to mention

look at my score
29-07-2013, 08:18 AM
(29-07-2013 03:00 AM)absols Wrote:  bc any is only absolutely living, and nature reference for life is the floor

while the floor by definition is the most inferior thing

it is always the same problem, noone when he got the chance would involve itself in pointing else existence, everyone when they got the chance prefer to b in powers over everything or out of it absolutely

then of course, existence absolute reference is always the most inferior thing life

especially that there is so much powers involved

evolution cant b but from up, bc what is superior is relatively free and what is free is always an absolute

so only what is relatively free can realize objective superiority by considering it positively so its freedom would b more present while nothing objectively then it could realize smthg for itself alone

but the individual character of existence would b certain exclusive form

it would necessarily involve superior free dimensions, which of course noone wants

humans nature is based on nature selishness and god figure of possessor so powers over anything

so the idea of true freedom and consideration to objective superiority at least as a way to advance absolutely, is totally rejected, no way even to mention

look at my score

Oh, you.

Never change.
Thumbsup

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post