Why does human nature not evolve?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2013, 08:53 AM
RE: Why does human nature not evolve?
(28-07-2013 09:09 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 08:39 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Every time a man does something masculine or caveman-like or hunter/gatherer-esque, the action is usually described as "human nature." Likewise with a nurturing, protective mother. "I can't help but be overprotective of my daughter. It's just human nature." But human nature seems rather primitive in the modern world. It's as flinchingly primal and barbaric as early racist America was. Or we'll attribute obesity to our natural instinct to eat everything in sight from mankind's "staying alive" (not the Bee Gees) stage.

Why is it that our nature doesn't adapt to the new conditions? Why are we forever stuck in early panic survival mode? What is this original code? Why can't we download Version 2.0?

What msbb said.
It does very slowly. Look at things 3000 years ago, and now. There have been humans on Earth in the 24 hour timescale for a few minutes. And if you read Ray Kurzweil, ("The Singularity is Near"), who I believe to be somewhat correct, in about 50 -75 years (40 ??), humans will have self-evolving implants to download "version 2.0" (or actually the every 24 h knowledge update). Human knowledge doubles every 10 years. That's "parabolic"/geometric, and the curve has turned up to nearly vertical, IMO. 10 years ago there were no iPods. Now everyone has one almost "attached". We're gettin' there. There are labs in this country, (prolly elsewhere too), that have the technology to interface between nanotechnology and nerves. Our memories have increased by factors of ten just by having Wiki at our fingertips.
Buck up, Buddy.

Not only that, but there are several scientific studies suggesting that, with each generation, humanity's multi-tasking ability improves as a result of continuous streaming information.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2013, 08:59 AM
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of evolution in this case. We don't evolve just because there is something more favorable to evolve into. Evolution is blind to good vs bad. Evolution only cares about survivability.

Keep that in mind as you think about our life expectancy. We have ever evolving medicine that prolongs our lives. We are able to live with diseases that would have killed us off not too long ago. We can survive with with injuries that were once lethal. There is simply no need for evolution in humans right now. Regardless of our instincts, we survive. Look at all the mentally ill people. Even they are living long lives.

So yea, maybe this innate sense of overprotecting your child is unnecessary in this day and age, but the fact remains... you have a high probability of passing that instinctive trait on and so do your children and their children and so-on.

Unless people with these types of people die off, there is little chance of evolution kicking in. I personally believe humans have stopped evolving. Evolution is in our hands now. We have the will power to overcome some of these instincts like over-eating. We have the capability to step outside of ourselves and go, "Hmm... maybe I need to relax a little bit when it comes to my children." And for those who can't control their emotions, well... they will probably live on and reproduce.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
29-07-2013, 09:47 AM
(29-07-2013 08:53 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 09:09 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What msbb said.
It does very slowly. Look at things 3000 years ago, and now. There have been humans on Earth in the 24 hour timescale for a few minutes. And if you read Ray Kurzweil, ("The Singularity is Near"), who I believe to be somewhat correct, in about 50 -75 years (40 ??), humans will have self-evolving implants to download "version 2.0" (or actually the every 24 h knowledge update). Human knowledge doubles every 10 years. That's "parabolic"/geometric, and the curve has turned up to nearly vertical, IMO. 10 years ago there were no iPods. Now everyone has one almost "attached". We're gettin' there. There are labs in this country, (prolly elsewhere too), that have the technology to interface between nanotechnology and nerves. Our memories have increased by factors of ten just by having Wiki at our fingertips.
Buck up, Buddy.

Not only that, but there are several scientific studies suggesting that, with each generation, humanity's multi-tasking ability improves as a result of continuous streaming information.

The studies I've seen say that multitasking is a myth.
No one can actually do it, their performance in all tasks is poor.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-07-2013, 10:29 AM
(29-07-2013 09:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 08:53 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Not only that, but there are several scientific studies suggesting that, with each generation, humanity's multi-tasking ability improves as a result of continuous streaming information.

Those aren't really contradictory points.

Multitasking affects performance, yes. Ability suffers when attention is divided. This is known.

It is simultaneously true that the degree to which ability suffers has decreased in the last few decades, according to what studies there've been. The data are too short-term and uncertain to make that a firm conclusion, but let's just say you're both right.

Thumbsup

... this is my signature!
29-07-2013, 10:33 AM
(29-07-2013 10:29 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 09:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  The studies I've seen say that multitasking is a myth.

Those aren't really contradictory points.

Multitasking affects performance, yes. Ability suffers when attention is divided. This is known.

It is simultaneously true that the degree to which ability suffers has decreased in the last few decades, according to what studies there've been. The data are too short-term and uncertain to make that a firm conclusion, but let's just say you're both right.

Thumbsup

Hmmm no they can't both be right but we don't have the data yet to determine who is. That really just leaves us one option

THUNDERDOME

2 MEN ENTER, 1 MAN LEAVES!

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
29-07-2013, 10:40 AM
(29-07-2013 10:33 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 10:29 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Those aren't really contradictory points.

Thumbsup

Hmmm no they can't both be right but we don't have the data yet to determine who is. That really just leaves us one option

THUNDERDOME

2 MEN ENTER, 1 MAN LEAVES!

Naked, with olive oil, while typing on smartphones, watching the evening news, and holding an egg in one hand.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-07-2013, 11:16 AM
(29-07-2013 10:40 AM)Chas Wrote:  Naked, with olive oil, while typing on smartphones, watching the evening news, and holding an egg in one hand.

While making love to a smokin' hot chick, eating a big steak, and researching a cure to AIDS, of course. Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
29-07-2013, 11:37 AM
(29-07-2013 09:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 08:53 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Not only that, but there are several scientific studies suggesting that, with each generation, humanity's multi-tasking ability improves as a result of continuous streaming information.

Interpreters multitask. I should know, I worked as a court interpreter for awhile. Most exhausting thing I ever did.

You are listening to something in one language while translating it in your head as you hear it while memorizing a paragraph's worth at a time, and then you say it out loud.

It takes all of your concentration all of the time, you can't miss a beat. And you are thinking/dealing with three things in your head at the same time.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
29-07-2013, 11:44 AM
I'm sure it is evolving but it is a long slow arch, besides which at this point human behavior is diversifying in all directions...One would not expect to see a true turn in any one direction until some strong selection pressure exerted itself (killer virus, famine, nuclear war, climate change, w/e).

29-07-2013, 12:09 PM
(29-07-2013 11:37 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 09:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  The studies I've seen say that multitasking is a myth.

Interpreters multitask. I should know, I worked as a court interpreter for awhile. Most exhausting thing I ever did.

You are listening to something in one language while translating it in your head as you hear it while memorizing a paragraph's worth at a time, and then you say it out loud.

It takes all of your concentration all of the time, you can't miss a beat. And you are thinking/dealing with three things in your head at the same time.

Or what about these bitches with their crazy-ass APM?