Why does religion try to restrict people's fun in life and label fun stuff as sin?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2013, 07:22 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2013 09:21 PM by Chas.)
Why does religion try to restrict people's fun in life and label fun stuff as sin?
Why would they do this? Why do they want to limit others and their own enjoyment in life? Whether it is labelling Harry Potter a sin, rock and roll, certain sex positions etc. I don't understand, it doesn't help them gain followers by not allowing a lot of fun things in life. Is it to make us feel guilty and trapped by sin so we repent and go to religion for the cure etc.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoroeau

Please check out my YouTube channel! Thumbsup http://www.youtube.com/user/1ScottUK
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheLogicalAthiest's post
19-03-2013, 07:45 PM
RE: Why does religion try and restrict ... ?
Consider

Jealousy.

Nuff said.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
19-03-2013, 09:17 PM
RE: Why does religion try...
Sup, LA.

Every human system has norms. Without exception. So the fact that religions have norms is unremarkable.

That being said, there is a prevalent belief among humans, particularly those that have organised their human system hierarchically, that humans are broken. These people put together a list of "broken person" behaviours and then outlaw them. If someone commits one of these acts, it's because they're broken. The solution is to punish them for being broken.

Salvationism and retributive justice are both based off of this notion.

For salvationism, humans are broken because they're sinners. For retributitive justice, humans are broken because they're criminals.

The reason that this sort of system is so prevalent among large hierarchical human systems is because decision making is centralised rather than communal. The leaders do not have the ability to consult with everyone. So they have to make universal rules. This is an expedient way for them to manage the populace. It has been the method of choice for hierarchical human systems for over 5 000 years. The oldest example of this, The Code of Hammurabi, actually predates the Bible.

If you actually sit back and make a freedom/restriction list for BOTH, say, Christian Americans and secular Americans, you'll find that both groups are pretty much equally restricted (it's a spectrum, but they aren't that far off). The only thing that is different is the what is restricted and what is allowed (there is no such thing as a society with zero restrictions). The only reason that it all seems significant is because many of the things that secular Americans can do without restriction, Christian Americans are restricted from doing. But the reverse is true too. It's also vice versa for things secular Americans think they SHOULD restrict and things they they think secular Americans should restrict.

"Harry Potter is a warlock, don't go see him," is no different, in principle, than, "Hey, jackass, don't jerk off in the public fountain."

In terms of enjoyment, positive psychology is the study of what makes humans happy and they happiness dynamic is more complex than you're suggesting. That is to say that while fucking like a maniac is certainly something that could contribute to happiness, religion is very much something that can make people happy; restrictions and all. That's not my opinion, that's one of the conclusions of positive psychology.

PS: Change the thread title if you can. It's length makes it difficult for people to respond.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
19-03-2013, 09:28 PM
religion tries to restrict people's fun in life
I guess its another way of controlling their followers

(19-03-2013 07:22 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Why do they want to limit others and their own enjoyment in life? Whether it is labelling Harry Potter a sin, rock and roll, certain sex positions etc.
I haven't heard that one before. Where did that come from? Huh
[+] 1 user Likes NoSuicide4Me's post
19-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Willful subjugation to authority.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-03-2013, 10:03 PM
RE: religion tries to restrict
(19-03-2013 09:28 PM)NoSuicide4Me Wrote:  I guess its another way of controlling their followers

(19-03-2013 07:22 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Why do they want to limit others and their own enjoyment in life? Whether it is labelling Harry Potter a sin, rock and roll, certain sex positions etc.
I haven't heard that one before. Where did that come from? Huh

I can't resist!

It came from the missionaries Laughat

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
19-03-2013, 11:36 PM
No pain, no gain.
I think it's part of the "no pain, no gain" philosophy. Even early societies realized that performance, military performance in particular, could be improved with training. Strenuous training involves some sort of pain or other discomfort. Ergo, pain is good. If pain is good then fun must be bad. With sex this idea is reinforced because the ancients observed that sex outside a stable monogamous relationship leads to sexually transmitted diseases. Being clueless they attribute this to the wrath of God. The Catholic church in particular opposes birth control and condoms because they threaten the church's control over its members.

Even if God and Jesus existed and I could live forever just by believing in them, I'm not so sure that eternal hellfire would be worse than having the omnipotent psychopath and his bastard kid looking over me for all eternity.
20-03-2013, 01:03 AM
This is why

It's all about the group mentality.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
20-03-2013, 01:03 AM
RE: Why does religion try to restrict people's fun in life?
I'll stick to the non-liberal Abrahamic religions. Here's some reasons I see.

1) Rules that actually have a positive effect in general (even if the given reasons for them are crap or they can have nasty specific implications). Things like "don't steal" or "don't have sex with your neighbor's spouse because that'll tear the community apart", or "don't eat shellfish when your only source is the uberpolluted Mediterrean". These are generally ruling out fun stuff, because if people don't want to do it then you wouldn't need to make a rule.

2) Rules that don't have a positive effect in general, but serve to preserve the tradition of worship. Observing the Sabbath, don't worship any other gods, tithing. These rule out fun stuff because the fun stuff is competition. Many Christian sex rules tie into this.

3) Rules that are holdovers from nasty, domineering societies, things like "no gays" or "women are inferior". These rule out fun stuff for the oppressed group because, hey, oppression.

4) Rules that were basically stupid theories with little or no support, but which were lucky enough (as selfish memes) to latch onto a big steamy load of "stuff we don't question". Don't masturbate or you'll be struck dead, for example.

Warning Labels: Long-winded. Twisted sense of humor (including puns, literalisms, absurdisms, all complicated by sarcasm and deadpan delivery). Contrarian. Do not combine with high quantities of sugar, acid (corrosive or hallucinogenic), or people who take themselves too seriously.
20-03-2013, 10:07 AM
(19-03-2013 07:22 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Why would they do this? Why do they want to limit others and their own enjoyment in life? Whether it is labelling Harry Potter a sin, rock and roll, certain sex positions etc. I don't understand, it doesn't help them gain followers by not allowing a lot of fun things in life. Is it to make us feel guilty and trapped by sin so we repent and go to religion for the cure etc.
Most religions ideally want their followers to be dedicated to their deities. They will find fault with pretty much anything that significantly distracts people from that.

Silence is only golden when it's not synonymous with a failure to speak out against injustice.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes." --Gene Roddenberry