Why does religion try to restrict people's fun in life and label fun stuff as sin?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2013, 10:15 AM
RE: Ask Egor
(19-03-2013 07:22 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Why would they do this? Why do they want to limit others and their own enjoyment in life? Whether it is labelling Harry Potter a sin, rock and roll, certain sex positions etc. I don't understand, it doesn't help them gain followers by not allowing a lot of fun things in life. Is it to make us feel guilty and trapped by sin so we repent and go to religion for the cure etc.
I don't know. You should ask Egor. He's Christ, so he must know.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2013, 11:27 AM
RE: Why does religion try to restrict people and label fun stuff as sin?
(20-03-2013 10:07 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(19-03-2013 07:22 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Why would they do this? Why do they want to limit others and their own enjoyment in life? Whether it is labelling Harry Potter a sin, rock and roll, certain sex positions etc. I don't understand, it doesn't help them gain followers by not allowing a lot of fun things in life. Is it to make us feel guilty and trapped by sin so we repent and go to religion for the cure etc.
Most religions ideally want their followers to be dedicated to their deities. They will find fault with pretty much anything that significantly distracts people from that.
It's a way for them to get the most followers. They use the fear of divine retribution for committing sin to control people, why not name as sin things that everyone has done at least a little.

Time travel means never having to say you will have been going to be sorry.
Find all posts by this user
20-03-2013, 12:34 PM
You should probably make the title shorter
To answer the original question, it's because they think they know the correct way to live. Not just for themselves, but for everyone else. It's like people who want to eliminate or severely tax fast food--okay, great, the health nuts earning enough to afford their expensive health foods will be overjoyed, but what about the busy family of four that relies on being able to have a filling supper from KFC for $20 because both parents aren't earning the big bucks? There's a Penn & Teller: Bullshit episode on YouTube called "Fast Food" and they discuss this. It's the same with religion--"I'm not gay and that sort of thing makes me uncomfortable, so gay people are now, by decree, sinners. No marriage for them, they chose to be gay," "I'm not a woman, let me tell them how to handle their reproductive choices because unless they are having unprotected sex and keeping all of the resulting babies, they're sinners. If she chooses to abort her rape baby, she will rot in hell with similar murderers like, oh, Bin Laden and whatnot. Same thing," etc. It's arrogance to tell other people how to live simply because it goes against your personal religious views. If I went around demanding that people take down all crucifixes in their homes because it's wrong, or demand that Xmas no longer be a holiday, they'd be a little upset too--because it doesn't go both ways, they are right and you are wrong, they can infringe on your life but you leave them the hell alone.

Keep your rosaries out of my ovaries, and your theology out of my biology.
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people." --Dr. House
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes darthbreezy's post
20-03-2013, 09:56 PM
RE: No pain, no gain.
Many reasons, I'm sure.
(19-03-2013 11:36 PM)f stop Wrote:  I think it's part of the "no pain, no gain" philosophy. Even early societies realized that performance, military performance in particular, could be improved with training. Strenuous training involves some sort of pain or other discomfort. Ergo, pain is good. If pain is good then fun must be bad. With sex this idea is reinforced because the ancients observed that sex outside a stable monogamous relationship leads to sexually transmitted diseases. Being clueless they attribute this to the wrath of God. The Catholic church in particular opposes birth control and condoms because they threaten the church's control over its members.
I think it's also that they give rules knowing full well that most people can't follow ALL of them. I mean, 7 deadly sins, if someone stays chaste (=resisting lust), maybe they're jealous or prone to overeating (=gluttony). If you set people up to fail, they will be force to admit they're weak and they're sinners and in need of religion.

Also, I think this applies to a feeling of moral superiority. If a person resists sexual desires (+ etc.), then they feel they can look down on others and call them weak or animalistic. So I think there can be an enjoyment in deprivation, if only because it lets people pat themselves on the back for being "strong" or whatever.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user