Why does salt sweeten / sharpen the tastes of certain fruits?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2012, 02:07 PM
RE: Why does salt sweeten / sharpen the tastes of certain fruits?
That column of the periodic table can all be used as flavour-enhancers. Hence e.g. MSG.

Best to use Potassium Chloride rather than Sodium Chloride though.

Apparently, we evolved to retain Na but not K (cos K was more readily available in the diet) so cooking with NaCl (i.e. using more than god intended) will make you fat and unhealthy but KCl will not.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2012, 03:55 PM
(22-11-2012 12:29 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Has anyone other than girly tried miracle berries? I was gonna start a thread, but if no ones even tried them, I won't bother.

Girly, do you get the tablets you linked to often? Ever tried fresh berries? Difference? You got me real curious now. I heard of these a few years ago but forgot about them entirely. I ordered some tabs to try, and also ordered seeds to try growing some. Tell me everything!

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
22-11-2012, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2012 04:56 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-11-2012 12:29 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Girly, do you get the tablets you linked to often? Ever tried fresh berries? Difference? You got me real curious now. I heard of these a few years ago but forgot about them entirely. I ordered some tabs to try, and also ordered seeds to try growing some. Tell me everything!

Only tried the tablets once when my coworker gave me one and a slice of lemon. First thought was, I think I should dose this shit with some window pane. ... Just found my window pane cache. ...

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
24-11-2012, 03:49 AM
Is it... psychological? Consider

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
24-11-2012, 09:07 AM
(24-11-2012 03:49 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Is it... psychological? Consider
Far as I can tell, it's a harmless protein that binds to certain chemicals, causing the taste buds to perceive tart, sour and bitter as sweet. So it alters the state of food allowing you to eat things and taste them completely differently.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
24-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Salt on lemons or limes I can eat all day, that shit is good.

Tomatoes with salt on them are good also, according to people that don't get laid a tomato is now a fruit.

Speaking of salty and sweet, has anyone here put butter popcorn in chocolate ice cream? Trust me, it is very good.
[+] 1 user Likes I and I's post
24-11-2012, 11:22 AM
We buy that half cheese popcorn, half caramel popcorn mix sometimes. Fucking addictive that stuff. I'll have to try popcorn in icecream.

24-11-2012, 01:20 PM
(24-11-2012 11:00 AM)I and I Wrote:  Salt on lemons or limes I can eat all day, that shit is good.

Tomatoes with salt on them are good also, according to people that don't get laid a tomato is now a fruit.

Speaking of salty and sweet, has anyone here put butter popcorn in chocolate ice cream? Trust me, it is very good.
Botanically it always has and always will be a fruit; however, it's a culinary vegetable (doesn't change the fact that it's a fruit, though).

Same with pumpkins, cucumbers, squash, any and all grains, all beans, any and all seeds, any "vegetable" with seeds... basically, if the part of the plant that you eat doesn't kill the plant (barring leaves) then it's a fruit.

Most plants that you eat are fruits not vegetables - leaves, roots, and stalks are botanical vegetables.

[Image: RHcn6pd.gif]
24-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Yer getting too complicated. Here's the easy way....

If it's a reproductive part of the plant, it's fruit.

Anything else is vegetable.

24-11-2012, 04:01 PM

Enjoy! Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]