Why does shit always rise to the top?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2011, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2011 07:02 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Why does shit always rise to the top?
(26-08-2011 08:22 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(26-08-2011 04:44 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Sorry for being wordy but you seemed to ask for it, my basic statement is that entropy within social circles happens as an idea becomes less a communal activity and more a directive.

An ingenious interpretation and application of the concept and law of entropy.

She's kinda brilliant that way. She also groks Godel's Incompleteness Theorems intuitively.

And, more to the point of this thread, apparently shit floats because it's gassy.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Glad if it helped, and peterkin it's not completely inevitable because those who never attain sizeable advantages never begin the downward slope. The huddled masses are the force of society fighting to prevent entropy and continue to be rather empathetic as it is their plight. So the answer to how not to be an asshole is to be a loser =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
27-08-2011, 12:58 AM

(26-08-2011 10:56 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  So the answer to how not to be an asshole is to be a loser.

With your permission, Lilith, I will have it engraved on my shield!
Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Any time, I always give permission to use my ideas. What kind of shield is it?

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
27-08-2011, 07:18 AM

(27-08-2011 07:03 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Any time, I always give permission to use my ideas. What kind of shield is it?

It is my imaginary shield I carry with me every time I go into battle for sanity.

You will see it at the bottom of every post I make from now on, as my signature -- with full credit to you, of course.
27-08-2011, 07:29 AM
(26-08-2011 10:56 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Glad if it helped, and peterkin it's not completely inevitable because those who never attain sizeable advantages never begin the downward slope. The huddled masses are the force of society fighting to prevent entropy and continue to be rather empathetic as it is their plight. So the answer to how not to be an asshole is to be a loser =p

Well, then i'm safe from entropy.

Still, they're burying a man today whom i would have liked to see as prime minister, so i'll hold on just a bit longer to the tiny, faint hope that there are other non-asshole non-losers concealed in the huddle.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
27-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Actually the trick is that there are those who are aloof. I kind of fall into this category. When put in a leadership role I tend to do the needs of the job without really paying attention to my own views and at the same time barely noticing others. In this way while I promote the basic job instead of my own opinion of how it should work I also never mold or really alter the benefits. The best leaders are those with the ability to lead and the dislike of leading. They will most often appeal to others for answers and seek an end result which lets them sleep =p I'm not saying I'm beyond desire for personal gain or anything, but there are plenty of people who are able to lead and highly empathetic. It is these people who never shut up who tend to make the most competent leaders and help sustain something for a longer period of time. Entropy is inevitable but that doesn't mean it can't be stalled.

Think of free falling, while it is inevitable that while in the air you will continue to fall until you reach the surface or alter your trajectory with a strong force (hard for humans). There is a point in falling where you really stop falling, during this time (which is generally quite short) the inevitability of everything becomes meaningless. This is always obtainable within anything society can offer. There will always be periods of comfort in which the inevitable is circumvented. This is our job in a democratic society. To seek the best way to reach this moment of non-inevitability and hold onto it. We tend to elect those who are most likely to reinvent an idea and raise it higher in the air, but the ones who truly seem best in our eyes are the ones who take hold of the idea and never let it move.

27-08-2011, 08:35 AM
Yes, thanks. Democracy was a pretty good idea, and we did hold in that still point for a little while. They can't take that away from us old ones.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
27-08-2011, 09:18 AM

(27-08-2011 08:21 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  The best leaders are those with the ability to lead and the dislike of leading. They will most often appeal to others for answers and seek an end result which lets them sleep

Someone like Colonel Henry Blake in M*A*S*H? One of my favourite characters.

Quote:This is our job in a democratic society. To seek the best way to reach this moment of non-inevitability and hold onto it.

I like the free-falling analogy. It is very poetic and also very true. After all, what are our options? Holding onto hope or suicide. Us old folks are a different category because we have had our lives (most of it) and what's under the belt stays there. But we still can worry about our children and grandchildren and holding onto hope for them is the kindest thing we can do.