Why does the Universe need a cause?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2017, 09:51 AM
If space & time are joined & you remove space from the equation then you automatically remove time from the equation as well.

What is a cause without time?

How can we explain the meaning of a cause without the use of time in the definition.

To claim the universe had a cause is to claim that you have evidence that time existed before time existed.

More to come...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Agnostic Shane's post
08-02-2017, 06:09 PM
RE: Why does the Universe need a cause?
More accurately, space-time is required for causation. It isn't space and time, it's space-time. You can't separate them. Causation is impossible without space-time because there's no time in which the cause may precede the effect and nowhere for either of them to actually occur.

We know that the universe is expanding space-time and if space time had existed before the universe then we'd be expanding into it with catastrophic results. So not only does the universe not need a cause, it's logically incapable of having a cause.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
08-02-2017, 06:22 PM
It doesn't.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
08-02-2017, 06:24 PM
According to Cosmology from quantum potential it doesn't. It's always been here so no need for god.

There are other possibilities too.

(08-02-2017 06:09 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  More accurately, space-time is required for causation. It isn't space and time, it's space-time. You can't separate them. Causation is impossible without space-time because there's no time in which the cause may precede the effect and nowhere for either of them to actually occur.

We know that the universe is expanding space-time and if space time had existed before the universe then we'd be expanding into it with catastrophic results. So not only does the universe not need a cause, it's logically incapable of having a cause.

Not necessarily true if anything resembling M Theory is correct. If it is, our space-time began with the Big Bang, but other things were going on that caused it.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
08-02-2017, 06:31 PM
It does. How else is WL Criag supposed to make money ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
08-02-2017, 06:47 PM
I don't know.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 3 users Like Loom's post
08-02-2017, 07:39 PM
(08-02-2017 06:47 PM)Loom Wrote:  I don't know.

[Image: 6bdf56bd13a3e1fe1a04b54876a1c4e9_trophy-...-1920.jpeg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
09-02-2017, 01:21 PM
(08-02-2017 06:24 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  According to Cosmology from quantum potential it doesn't. It's always been here so no need for god.

There are other possibilities too.

(08-02-2017 06:09 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  More accurately, space-time is required for causation. It isn't space and time, it's space-time. You can't separate them. Causation is impossible without space-time because there's no time in which the cause may precede the effect and nowhere for either of them to actually occur.

Not necessarily true if anything resembling M Theory is correct. If it is, our space-time began with the Big Bang, but other things were going on that caused it.
What's M Theory? I'll research it later.
09-02-2017, 04:07 PM
(09-02-2017 01:21 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  What's M Theory? I'll research it later.

Here's a good place to start:

What is M Theory?
09-02-2017, 04:11 PM
I thought M theory was that if you have a passenger in your car you dislike, you should be able to eject them out of it???

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post