Why does turning atheist have to be an 'event'? A 'coming out'? Why the drama?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2012, 03:04 AM
RE: Why does turning atheist have to be an 'event'? A 'coming out'? Why the drama?
(16-11-2012 08:23 PM)Janus Wrote:  I'd move away.
Ain't possible for peeps under the age of 18.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
17-11-2012, 03:12 AM
RE: Why does turning atheist have to be an 'event'? A 'coming out'? Why the drama?
(16-11-2012 08:39 PM)Janus Wrote:  
(16-11-2012 08:24 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I would say because atheism is a minority, and minorities can be suppressed. Coming out is a way of shaking the shackles so to speak. In many family units, the dynamics are governed by the religion and when one announces publicly that they are free of the doctrine than they can, in some respect, be free to live outside the doctrine rules. Some examples for today are things like the way women are treated, sexual orientation, submissiveness, slavery, oppression, etc. Real issues that deserve a stand. People are sick of the influence and coming out is a way to set a boundary for these things.

Achieving what exactly besides setting yourself up as a target for nastiness?

I wonder what kind of world we would live in if the slaves and women of the past thought this way.
[+] 5 users Like kpax's post
17-11-2012, 03:19 AM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2012 03:23 AM by kpax.)
(16-11-2012 08:47 PM)Janus Wrote:  That's how much good your coming out did you. Did you enjoy it? Knowing that would you do it again?

LOL. Janus, in other words it sounds like you favor people living fake lives in order to avoid a little conflict. Unrealistic expectations.

So why all the drama about not creating drama?
[+] 3 users Like kpax's post
17-11-2012, 03:25 AM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2012 03:28 AM by Logisch.)
(16-11-2012 08:23 PM)Janus Wrote:  
(16-11-2012 08:20 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Empathy is always difficult if you have not seen it / felt it yourself.

Try to imagine what life for you would have been like if "they" did make it a point, repeatedly, often and in yer face.

So how does that situation improve from making a coming out drama?

I'd move away.
I would ostracize them long before they could ostracize me.
But I would not make a spectacle!
Especially as it's counterproductive.
I have no time for bullshit.
Here's the thing.

I live where I live. I am a human being, just as everyone else is. I should not have to move away, nor should I have to be the one that bends to people looking down on me over this primitive bullshit.

I should not have to worry about such things. I should be able to be treated just as equally as anyone else.

Why is it a big fucking deal? Because until it's at the status of people thinking that we're just as normal as anyone else, we don't be treated otherwise. Want something to be socially accepted? You make a big fucking deal out of it until people realize we're just as human as they are. Look at gay people, they've struggled with being socially accepted over something that previously people thought was a DISEASE despite the empirical evidence that it's far from it. It's the SAME bullshit, primitive doctrine telling people what to think and feel about people even though humanity is trying to overcome this bullshit. Until we as a society overcome the bigotry and bullshit that comes with that dogma, nothing will change.

Why should we struggle with being treated as normal members of society just because we don't have imaginary fucking friends? Fuck that. Want to be socially ACCEPTED? Then you don't tuck your tail between your legs and go move away, hide in a corner or run from the issue. You make a big fucking deal out of it.

When it finally becomes an issue when someone can make a huge stink out of it and people shrug and go, "so what? there's atheists everywhere, i didn't know it was an issue." then that's the day it will not longer be a big deal.

Feel free to run from your issues like a dog with its tail tucked between its legs. You can move to a thousand cities, the social issues may be "better" in some places, but no matter where you go it will exist just at a different intensity. Therefore I choose to be happy where I am, being who I am. I should not have to worry about such things. So if I can be loud and obnoxious and make it easier for other people to be themselves, I'm all for it.
[+] 5 users Like Logisch's post
17-11-2012, 03:27 AM
(16-11-2012 08:39 PM)Janus Wrote:  
(16-11-2012 08:24 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I would say because atheism is a minority, and minorities can be suppressed. Coming out is a way of shaking the shackles so to speak. In many family units, the dynamics are governed by the religion and when one announces publicly that they are free of the doctrine than they can, in some respect, be free to live outside the doctrine rules. Some examples for today are things like the way women are treated, sexual orientation, submissiveness, slavery, oppression, etc. Real issues that deserve a stand. People are sick of the influence and coming out is a way to set a boundary for these things.

Achieving what exactly besides setting yourself up as a target for nastiness?

Oh, well that's quite simple.

It shows what and who we are, and that we aren't going to be cowed easily. It is a stand of defiance and honesty, after all lying to everybody is hardly good for social cohesion, or the individual.

Granted there are some barbaric throw-back cultures where the proclamation of disbelief will get you killed or worse, putting those examples of cultural de-evolution for a moment, it's the persons choice, and not a black and white decision.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
17-11-2012, 06:09 AM
(16-11-2012 08:39 PM)Janus Wrote:  Achieving what exactly besides setting yourself up as a target for nastiness?

How about making the point that, because of our beliefs, we're targets for nastiness?
[+] 1 user Likes pianodwarf's post
17-11-2012, 06:11 AM
FWIW ^^^ Edward Scissor Hands is a fantastic movie.
[+] 3 users Like Logisch's post
17-11-2012, 06:37 AM
You can't understand what such a big deal it is coming out until you are in a situation where coming out is a big deal.

Until you are in such a situation then saying something like "you should be free to be yourself" or whatever other fairy shit people say, is completely meaningless.
It's easy to say such cliche's when it's not your life that's effected.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
17-11-2012, 06:48 AM
I suggest looking through threads by the members that have announced that they have came out.
Even look through the intros. You will see the level of insanity these people have had to put up with. Some lose friends and family, just from saying "I don't believe in gods". When you read how some of these people have lost everything because the people they knew are too closed minded to accept them with even only one belief different. Or the risks they take. We've had members that could face jail or worse for their lack of belief. When you read that you'll understand why it's such a big deal to so many.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 4 users Like FSM_scot's post
17-11-2012, 07:01 AM
(17-11-2012 06:48 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  When you read that you'll understand why it's such a big deal to so many.

Doubt it. He might understand that asking 'Why you such a pansy making a big deal out of nothing?' isn't gonna get a sweet-as-butter response.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post