Why does turning atheist have to be an 'event'? A 'coming out'? Why the drama?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2012, 11:24 PM
RE: Why does turning atheist have to be an 'event'? A 'coming out'? Why the drama?
(17-11-2012 04:55 PM)Percepticon Wrote:  Nice analogy, BC.

I embraced atheism last year and treated it rather nonchalantly. I don't believe in closets, and I figure if I don't make an issue of it, most others won't either. But for many people, coming out is huge and I respect that.

How did you tell your family?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Why does turning atheist have to be an 'event'? A 'coming out'? Why the drama?
(18-11-2012 11:24 PM)kpax Wrote:  

I embraced atheism last year and treated it rather nonchalantly. I don't believe in closets, and I figure if I don't make an issue of it, most others won't either. But for many people, coming out is huge and I respect that.

Val's not good at explaining things so she decided to have 666 tattooed on her forehead. It makes the point without having to say much.
Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
20-11-2012, 12:24 PM
RE: Why does turning atheist have to be an 'event'? A 'coming out'? Why the drama?
(18-11-2012 11:24 PM)kpax Wrote:  

I live far from them, anyway, and am not close with many of them. The ones who are on FaceBook have seen my "likes" and posts on various FB pages changing over time, and my "religion" change. Two of my brothers I'm just getting to know as we didn't grow up together, so that was kinda' in some of those discussions. My grandma in Indiana I'm not close with, and she always tried to get me to convert to her special brand of Christianity; so I just explained to her recently that I don't believe in her book. I don't care who she tells ot doesn't tell. I just let it come up if the conversation warrants it, or in some cases if I've not talked to someone in a long time, I include it in the "what's new" spiel.

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-11-2012, 04:01 PM
^Changing your religion on FB can be useful at times. I have some distant relatives that friended me because we're related, though we've never even spoken, and they just assume I'm Catholic and start talking to me like I am and posts full of prayer and woo and Jesus. I'm sometimes tempted to either start saying "praise Odin!" or maybe "allah" just to see what they'd do, but I'm not really comfortable even jokingly pretending to actually worship any deities, so I don't. In any case, after changing my religion on FB, many just defriended me. Can't be FB friends with an athiest, you know!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-11-2012, 04:04 PM
(20-11-2012 04:01 PM)amyb Wrote:  ^Changing your religion on FB can be useful at times. I have some distant relatives that friended me because we're related, though we've never even spoken, and they just assume I'm Catholic and start talking to me like I am and posts full of prayer and woo and Jesus. I'm sometimes tempted to either start saying "praise Odin!" or maybe "allah" just to see what they'd do, but I'm not really comfortable even jokingly pretending to actually worship any deities, so I don't. In any case, after changing my religion on FB, many just defriended me. Can't be FB friends with an athiest, you know!

And v.v.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What kind of atheist converts to a theist? RedJamaX 97 2,628 Today 09:06 AM
Last Post: Fodder_From_The_Truth
  How Atheist forums changed my views on Abortion Wicked Clown 28 519 12-08-2014 08:01 AM
Last Post: Wicked Clown
  Emotional Reasons For Being an Atheist Seikilos 12 183 09-08-2014 09:25 AM
Last Post: Dom
  What do you make of these "Atheist converts to Christianity" claims donlee600 32 549 08-08-2014 08:09 PM
Last Post: Escape Artist
  Atheist / Agnostic Informational Resource Library Near 166 15,916 03-08-2014 11:36 AM
Last Post: Loki
  Jesus was a progressive atheist brett1974 4 136 02-08-2014 11:17 PM
Last Post: brett1974
  I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist catgoblin 606 7,401 02-08-2014 10:50 PM
Last Post: Wicked Clown