Why doesn't Obama help his family?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2012, 11:19 PM
RE: Why doesn't Obama help his family?
Personally I dislike what both parties have turned into. The new republicans and democrats exist only to do the opposite of the other.

New republicans want to restrict freedoms on religious grounds, shrink or eliminate entitlements and expand the military.

New democrats simply want the opposite.

The way they operate is absurd to me. What we really need is a moderate party.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2012, 03:02 AM
(07-09-2012 11:19 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Personally I dislike what both parties have turned into. The new republicans and democrats exist only to do the opposite of the other.

New republicans want to restrict freedoms on religious grounds, shrink or eliminate entitlements and expand the military.

New democrats simply want the opposite.

The way they operate is absurd to me. What we really need is a moderate party.

I disagree. The new republicans want the companies to continue their reign over the government, and for the rich to maintain their power. They simply use religion is attract people.

The democrats want a controlled capitalist economy and pay more mind to social issues. They rarely use religion as a tool, because they understand it divides people.

The problem I have with creating a moderate party is that it would most likely devolve into what the two current parties are. Simply doing things to counter the left and right. I don't want a party system and no electoral college. I simply want people voting for a president based on his/her ideas, and not a collective that is funded by corporations.

I find myself to agree far more the the liberal left than the conservative right. Romney is a classic sociopath, Ryan is an uneducated idiot, and Obama and Biden both are far more competent than them.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
08-09-2012, 04:21 AM
(07-09-2012 10:51 PM)BryanS Wrote:  I'm a fiscal conservative and will never vote for Obama.

I'm a conservative and I did vote for Obama.

(07-09-2012 10:51 PM)BryanS Wrote:  However there is a very good reason not to ask this question--it is tawdry and a personal attack.

I reject the idea that this is an unaskable question. It is neither tawdry nor personal (see why below)

(07-09-2012 10:51 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Come on--you were just 'asking questions'?

I'm asking the question, yes. Obama makes a theme of the biblical (Genesis) idea of the "brother's keeper," as in this quote:

“I hear politicians talking about values in an election year. I hear a lot about that. Let me tell you about values,” Obama said. “Hard work, personal responsibility — those are values. But looking out for one another. That’s a value. The idea that we’re all in this together. I am my brother’s keeper. I am my sister’s keeper. That’s a value.”

So he's put this value on the table, looking out for one another, and using the Genesis reference of the brother's keeper. I think it's reasonable to evaluate how well he does or does not live this value. And I think he does quite poorly in that evaluation, but that's not the question that's interests me most.

The more interesting question is why he or his handlers would create this stark contrast, between using the language of a "brother's keeper", and having a third-world-dirt-poor brother that he apparently doesn't "keep." Why voluntarily put yourself in that position? Especially when this is an area that is extremely strong for Romney. Was it an oversight on the part of his campaign team? Is he just counting on the fact the mainstream news outlets will ignore the brother stories? I don't get the political strategy on this one.

(07-09-2012 10:51 PM)BryanS Wrote:  I'd rather focus attacks on his policies.

As far as I know the forum server's not running out of capacity so we can actually discuss both topics.
08-09-2012, 04:45 AM
(07-09-2012 10:37 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I tend to think of people in terms that they do things that you can measure on terms of extreme good to extreme bad with shades of grey.

Agree, and you don't even need the word "extreme." Just measure the good and the bad.

(07-09-2012 10:37 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Creating the idea that a person is all bad or all good is something we should try to avoid as much as possible.

Agree. Demonization is douchebaggery. Unfortunately, there's a lot it in this forum.
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
08-09-2012, 01:34 PM
I agree for the call for a real moderate party. That's where I'd probably end up in the voting booth.

As for the topic, there are a million and one reasons Obama isn't giving money to his relatives and I don't see where we are at a place we need to know this. On the other hand, there is only one reason Mitt Romney wears magic underwear.

Give to every human being every right that you claim for yourself. - Robert Ingersoll
[Image: jVZNc.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like TheDoctorPhil's post
08-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Why should he? Mr Obama's Mom and Dad divorced when he was less than two years old. He wasn't raised with that family and probably doesn't even know them.

I don't need anyone to explain their family dynamic to me; it's nothing for me to be meddling in. I don't financially help members of my family. Why should I? Why would you even wonder such personal things about someone you don't know personally?

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
08-09-2012, 06:12 PM
(08-09-2012 02:09 PM)kim Wrote:  Why should he? Mr Obama's Mom and Dad divorced when he was less than two years old. He wasn't raised with that family and probably doesn't even know them.

I don't need anyone to explain their family dynamic to me; it's nothing for me to be meddling in. I don't financially help members of my family. Why should I? Why would you even wonder such personal things about someone you don't know personally?

Aaaaameeeeeeeeeeennnnnnn.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
08-09-2012, 07:23 PM
(08-09-2012 06:12 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(08-09-2012 02:09 PM)kim Wrote:  Why should he? Mr Obama's Mom and Dad divorced when he was less than two years old. He wasn't raised with that family and probably doesn't even know them.

Aaaaameeeeeeeeeeennnnnnn.

For the record, if my brother had asked me for money, I wouldn't have given it to him. Why? None of your business.

Secondly, if Obama started sending money to Kenya or wherever, it would be fodder for all kinds of theories.

Thirdly, it doesn't look like he even knows the man personally.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-09-2012, 07:25 PM
(08-09-2012 02:09 PM)kim Wrote:  He wasn't raised with that family and probably doesn't even know them.

If you'd read the article you'd know that he has met his brother on at least two occasions.

(08-09-2012 02:09 PM)kim Wrote:  Why would you even wonder such personal things about someone you don't know personally?

Apparently you didn't read my prior post on why the issue is the political optics. Why would you even respond to a post when you haven't bothered to read the pertinent information?
08-09-2012, 07:28 PM
(08-09-2012 07:25 PM)Jeff Wrote:  
(08-09-2012 02:09 PM)kim Wrote:  He wasn't raised with that family and probably doesn't even know them.

If you'd read the article you'd know that he has met his brother on at least two occasions.

(08-09-2012 02:09 PM)kim Wrote:  Why would you even wonder such personal things about someone you don't know personally?

Apparently you didn't read my prior post on why the issue is the political optics. Why would you even respond to a post when you haven't bothered to read the pertinent information?

Excuse me, but meeting someone twice in your life does not a brotherly bond make.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post