Why doesn't Obama help his family?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2012, 07:32 PM
RE: Why doesn't Obama help his family?
(08-09-2012 07:28 PM)Dom Wrote:  Excuse me, but meeting someone twice in your life does not a brotherly bond make.

It's not "someone", it's his half-brother, and for many people one meeting would create a connection.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2012, 07:38 PM
(08-09-2012 07:32 PM)Jeff Wrote:  
(08-09-2012 07:28 PM)Dom Wrote:  Excuse me, but meeting someone twice in your life does not a brotherly bond make.

It's not "someone", it's his half-brother, and for many people one meeting would create a connection.

And for many more people, it would not.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
08-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Look, you don't know either guy personally, you don't know how they would relate. Just because someone is partially related doesn't mean one has anything in common.

Yeah, we all love the stories about long lost relatives united and crying with pleasure.

But real life isn't that. In real life you either find yourselves kindred spirits, or you don't like each other, or you just couldn't care less.

You certainly don't know any of the dynamics there. There could even be a feud and you wouldn't know.

Personally, I am the kind of person who sees a person begging outside of a supermarket and goes in and buys them food and drink for the day. But I wouldn't give a penny to my own brother, and we did grow up together.

So don't go around drawing conclusions about relationships you know nothing about.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
08-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Granted it's $1,000 but it automatically comes to the assumption in the fourth paragraph that Obama refused to give him the money and then makes the same assumption a few more times in the article. It never once states that George ever asked Barack. You know what happens when one assumes, right?

I am no fan of Fox but I still try to see everything in an equal light. Something comes off fishy about this article. He spent a day with George so George thinks that they are best friends forever after a day of knowing each other and then calls up Dinesh to ask for a grand to pay for medical bills? Maybe Obama didn't give him the money cause George is a clingy step-brother the way he clung to Dinesh... No one likes clingy relatives.

Give to every human being every right that you claim for yourself. - Robert Ingersoll
[Image: jVZNc.jpg]
08-09-2012, 08:08 PM
(08-09-2012 04:45 AM)Jeff Wrote:  
(07-09-2012 10:37 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I tend to think of people in terms that they do things that you can measure on terms of extreme good to extreme bad with shades of grey.

Agree, and you don't even need the word "extreme." Just measure the good and the bad.

I think by going to each extreme and pointing out that there is middle ground, or situations that lean towards bad or good is important.

The reason for the extremes is to lay down posts from we can measure actions, not to say that those are the only two things, but to say all the places in-between should be considered. Basically pointing out that political actions are not merely evil/best.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
09-09-2012, 08:42 AM
(08-09-2012 07:48 PM)TheDoctorPhil Wrote:  Granted it's $1,000 but it automatically comes to the assumption in the fourth paragraph that Obama refused to give him the money and then makes the same assumption a few more times in the article. It never once states that George ever asked Barack. You know what happens when one assumes, right?

I see how the sentence implies that, but I haven't seen any of these articles say that any of these family members have asked for help from Barack, so "refusal" is a confusing word to use.

(08-09-2012 07:48 PM)TheDoctorPhil Wrote:  Something comes off fishy about this article. He spent a day with George so George thinks that they are best friends forever after a day of knowing each other and then calls up Dinesh to ask for a grand to pay for medical bills?

I don't know how much time George and Dinesh have spent together, but the reason given for asking Dinesh for the $1000 is "I have no one else to ask."

(08-09-2012 07:48 PM)TheDoctorPhil Wrote:  Maybe Obama didn't give him the money cause George is a clingy step-brother the way he clung to Dinesh... No one likes clingy relatives.

He doesn't sound clingy to me. If he were he'd be reaching out to his half-brother Barack. Since the $1000 is for George's son (President Obama's half-nephew) I can understand a father reaching out to anyone he can to help raise the money for the bill. Since George lives in a shanty slum in Nairobi, and lives on a few dollars a month, the $1000 is an impossible sum to raise by himself.
09-09-2012, 08:48 AM
(08-09-2012 08:08 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(08-09-2012 04:45 AM)Jeff Wrote:  Agree, and you don't even need the word "extreme." Just measure the good and the bad.

The reason for the extremes is to lay down posts from we can measure actions...

I think we agree philosophically but I can't think of an example where the "extremes" are useful measuring posts. Perhaps the extremes I'm thinking of are more extreme than your extremes. Can you give me an example?
09-09-2012, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2012 11:16 AM by Diablo666.)
(09-09-2012 08:48 AM)Jeff Wrote:  
(08-09-2012 08:08 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  The reason for the extremes is to lay down posts from we can measure actions...

I think we agree philosophically but I can't think of an example where the "extremes" are useful measuring posts. Perhaps the extremes I'm thinking of are more extreme than your extremes. Can you give me an example?

He is right, you need common poles to make any meaningful judgement that can be agreed upon. This is common sense.

Well lets look at intelligence for example.
On one side of the spectrum you have Einstein.
On the other side there is an ant.

And slightly above that ant is you and most Americans, as you would have to be a drooling moron to be swayed in any way by this ridiculous story.
09-09-2012, 10:27 AM
(09-09-2012 09:44 AM)Diablo666 Wrote:  He is right, you need common poles to make any meaningful judgement that can be agreed upon. This is common sense.

Well lets look at intelligence for example.
On on side of the spectrum you have Einstein.
On the other side there is an ant.

And slightly above that ant is you and most Americans. Because you would have to be a drooling moron to be swayed in any way by this ridiculous story.

Well done sir, a liberal rant in the finest tradition - self-contradictory, intolerant, name-calling, anti-american, emotional and lacking of substance.
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
09-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Why doesn't Obama help his family?
(09-09-2012 08:42 AM)Jeff Wrote:  
(08-09-2012 07:48 PM)TheDoctorPhil Wrote:  Granted it's $1,000 but it automatically comes to the assumption in the fourth paragraph that Obama refused to give him the money and then makes the same assumption a few more times in the article. It never once states that George ever asked Barack. You know what happens when one assumes, right?

I see how the sentence implies that, but I haven't seen any of these articles say that any of these family members have asked for help from Barack, so "refusal" is a confusing word to use.

(08-09-2012 07:48 PM)TheDoctorPhil Wrote:  Something comes off fishy about this article. He spent a day with George so George thinks that they are best friends forever after a day of knowing each other and then calls up Dinesh to ask for a grand to pay for medical bills?

I don't know how much time George and Dinesh have spent together, but the reason given for asking Dinesh for the $1000 is "I have no one else to ask."

(08-09-2012 07:48 PM)TheDoctorPhil Wrote:  Maybe Obama didn't give him the money cause George is a clingy step-brother the way he clung to Dinesh... No one likes clingy relatives.

He doesn't sound clingy to me. If he were he'd be reaching out to his half-brother Barack. Since the $1000 is for George's son (President Obama's half-nephew) I can understand a father reaching out to anyone he can to help raise the money for the bill. Since George lives in a shanty slum in Nairobi, and lives on a few dollars a month, the $1000 is an impossible sum to raise by himself.

Why don't you help him since you sound so concerned. Seems a bit hypocritical to me to say someone else should help when you're not willing to send the cash.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Evidence that having a degree doesn't make you less of a dumbass... EvolutionKills 48 527 31-05-2014 04:14 PM
Last Post: djkamilo
Thumbs Up Obama Wins "Lie of the Year" Award Can_of_Beans 24 662 19-12-2013 03:58 PM
Last Post: Chas
  British Royal Family Keep or Replace? PursuingTruth 52 1,658 29-11-2013 07:47 PM
Last Post: Elesjei
  Obama being flamed for Egypt. Why? PatThePoltergeist 26 776 18-08-2013 04:27 AM
Last Post: Juv
  Why did Jews have race fueled hatred for Obama I and I 5 272 28-07-2013 06:06 PM
Last Post: earmuffs
  They're applauding Obama at the memorial ceremony for the Boston tragedy TrainWreck 26 986 24-04-2013 05:02 PM
Last Post: bbeljefe
  What to do if the losing side of the election doesn't want to play ball. I and I 1 320 17-04-2013 02:04 PM
Last Post: earmuffs