Why doesn't god settle the debate?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2015, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2015 03:42 PM by thecontemplator.)
Why doesn't god settle the debate?
I've always found it somewhat amusing to have a theist show up claiming they have proof for god. What often follows is a lengthy debate that leads nowhere with no side apparently convinced. So if a god exists and cares so much about what we do - like he gets offended by me masturbating why doesn't he simply settle the matter? People continue to argue over the matter and will even fight religious wars but the god in question can't even do a small miracle. Surely even a voice in the sky saying "I'm here." would be start.

*Post edited slightly for bad grammar.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes thecontemplator's post
21-01-2015, 02:05 PM
RE: Why doesn't god settle the debate?
Apparently, he doesn't work that way. (Or so I've heard)
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
21-01-2015, 02:09 PM
If god was real he could turn an orangutan into a dancing purple hippo and back again...pfft

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
21-01-2015, 02:26 PM
(21-01-2015 02:09 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  If god was real he could turn an orangutan into a dancing purple hippo and back again...pfft

Isn't that what is done at those nasty titty bars where you can bring your own beer? In the low light, they are an orangutang and then they get on stage, they become a hippo, then back again when the song's over? At least I heard that is what happens at places like that. *cough* Confused

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
21-01-2015, 02:49 PM
God apparently came to the conclusion that if he proved the existence of himself that'd take away people's free will. Somehow.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
21-01-2015, 02:49 PM
I don't think avatarism is allowed here.
Just because my avatars are a different species or color, that doesn't make them any less avatar than yours.
You should be ashamed of your intolerance.

Tongue
21-01-2015, 03:03 PM
(21-01-2015 02:05 PM)pablo Wrote:  Apparently, he doesn't work that way. (Or so I've heard)

Ah, the joy of ad hoc assertions.

Observations:
  • People believe in God.
  • People cannot see God.
Conclusion: God is invisible, obviously. Rolleyes
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
21-01-2015, 03:08 PM
I've heard: "Because God revealed himself/ whatever in the Bible and people went right back to worshiping false idols." (Noah's offspring and the Exodian Jews with the Golden Cow.)

Which is:
A) Bullshit given the overwhelming number of other stories where god reveals himself/ does a miracle to help convert poeople/ something and it sticks.

B) Bullshit given that doesn't cover miracles/ god revealing itself to his followers in a tangible way.

C) Bullshit given that the god they're describing would know exactly what miracles it could do to provide evidence for it's existence without violating free will. (Whatever that means.)

D) Bullshit given that the whole "you must be sustained by faith" thing means that they shouldn't be trying to convert with evidence in the first place. Nor should their god have ever provided any to anybody ever.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 2 users Like Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
21-01-2015, 03:47 PM
(21-01-2015 03:08 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  I've heard: "Because God revealed himself/ whatever in the Bible and people went right back to worshiping false idols." (Noah's offspring and the Exodian Jews with the Golden Cow.)

Which is:
A) Bullshit given the overwhelming number of other stories where god reveals himself/ does a miracle to help convert poeople/ something and it sticks.

B) Bullshit given that doesn't cover miracles/ god revealing itself to his followers in a tangible way.

C) Bullshit given that the god they're describing would know exactly what miracles it could do to provide evidence for it's existence without violating free will. (Whatever that means.)

D) Bullshit given that the whole "you must be sustained by faith" thing means that they shouldn't be trying to convert with evidence in the first place. Nor should their god have ever provided any to anybody ever.

Stop Analyzing Miracles Sam, you make too much sense. Smile

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
21-01-2015, 03:55 PM
(21-01-2015 02:49 PM)pablo Wrote:  I don't think avatarism is allowed here.
Just because my avatars are a different species or color, that doesn't make them any less avatar than yours.
You should be ashamed of your intolerance.

Tongue

Avatarism - the belief that avatars are holy, intrinsically moral and all full of hidden meanings.

Your accusation is baseless using my just made up definition, just “look at my avatar”, you’ll see it is one with consciousness. The absence of evidence to the contrary makes any future point you might make moot.

I win. Big Grin