Why doesn't god settle the debate?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2015, 04:28 AM
RE: Why doesn't god settle the debate?
(28-01-2015 11:42 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All,

Like, whoa! That's what I get for asking questions...? Smile Here are some proofs of God you can do for yourself:

*Tithe--God says He can prove and reveal Himself by showering financial blessings on givers

*Give other than tithing and see it is more blessed than receiving

*The Bible says "the righteous will have the fill of himself" and the same for the wicked--do well or badly and you will eventually "be feeling it"

*Follow the Bible and test it--Jesus said ANYONE into the Word and following His Word will know the truth--that's His preface to "the truth will set you free"

*Break Bible laws like murder and adultery if you're unsure what good and bad and consequences are--the average person in the world who has never read the Bible will affirm, and has affirmed, the truth of the whole canon of Bible law

*And pray like this, "God, I don't believe in you. But if you exist, I need exceptional, verifiable proof as a rationalist and atheist. If you can REALLY prove to my satisfaction you exist as an invisible entity like most people say you do, I'll trust you and follow you. If not--it doesn't matter."

In what sense are you using the word 'proof'? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2015, 04:50 AM
(30-01-2015 04:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-01-2015 11:42 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All,

Like, whoa! That's what I get for asking questions...? Smile Here are some proofs of God you can do for yourself:

*Tithe--God says He can prove and reveal Himself by showering financial blessings on givers

*Give other than tithing and see it is more blessed than receiving

*The Bible says "the righteous will have the fill of himself" and the same for the wicked--do well or badly and you will eventually "be feeling it"

*Follow the Bible and test it--Jesus said ANYONE into the Word and following His Word will know the truth--that's His preface to "the truth will set you free"

*Break Bible laws like murder and adultery if you're unsure what good and bad and consequences are--the average person in the world who has never read the Bible will affirm, and has affirmed, the truth of the whole canon of Bible law

*And pray like this, "God, I don't believe in you. But if you exist, I need exceptional, verifiable proof as a rationalist and atheist. If you can REALLY prove to my satisfaction you exist as an invisible entity like most people say you do, I'll trust you and follow you. If not--it doesn't matter."

In what sense are you using the word 'proof'? Consider

You know; that sense of proof where proof doesn't mean proof.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
30-01-2015, 05:04 AM
(21-01-2015 02:00 PM)thecontemplator Wrote:  ... Surely even a voice in the sky saying "I'm here." would be start ...

It'd be a poor start. Not everyone (me included) would assume such a voice was a god. It could be a megaphone in a drone. It could be some acoustical illusion cooked up by a prankster. It could be Vogons come to clear earth out of the way for a hyperspace bypass. It could be any of a million possibilities BEFORE considering it a god.

Here's the problem: There is NO miracle so fantastic that someone couldn't find reason to doubt it was a natural phenomenon. Just the sheer fact that it happened makes it a natural phenomenon by definition.

Any god trying to make itself recognized "as a god" will always fail - if by "god" we're considering an apparition apart from nature, a supernatural agent. While clear definitions of "god" are as ephemeral as the "gods" being described, most do specify that whatever "god" is, being something beyond nature is part of the package.

Now if "god" IS within nature, it's accessible to scientific examination. But having worked out through experiment and observation how such a "god" ticks, it probably wouldn't be regarded as a "god".

Hence, not only is "god" not findable, no "god" could ever prove its own existence.

That's a hell of a jam for a god, but that's what you get if you keep trying to pass yourself off as lord of the universe.
30-01-2015, 05:28 AM
(30-01-2015 05:04 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(21-01-2015 02:00 PM)thecontemplator Wrote:  ... Surely even a voice in the sky saying "I'm here." would be start ...

It'd be a poor start. Not everyone (me included) would assume such a voice was a god. It could be a megaphone in a drone. It could be some acoustical illusion cooked up by a prankster. It could be Vogons come to clear earth out of the way for a hyperspace bypass. It could be any of a million possibilities BEFORE considering it a god.

Here's the problem: There is NO miracle so fantastic that someone couldn't find reason to doubt it was a natural phenomenon. Just the sheer fact that it happened makes it a natural phenomenon by definition.

When you get down to it, "I'm hallucinating" will always be a more reasonable answer to mysterious circumstance than god.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
30-01-2015, 08:03 AM
(21-01-2015 02:49 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  God apparently came to the conclusion that if he proved the existence of himself that'd take away people's free will. Somehow.

Never could wrap my head around that one. I know the laws are there and that OSHA exists. I can still choose not to obey it.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
30-01-2015, 09:41 AM
God doesn't settle the debate because god doesn't exist. Q.E.D.

Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]