Why don't Christians read their bibles?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2015, 08:58 PM
Why don't Christians read their bibles?
I have a friend that recently jumped in head first into Christianity, it seems as though she talks about it incessantly. She doesn't know I don't believe but she knows I grew up Catholic so she feels ok telling me about all of the great christian books she's reading, even some apologetics stuff as well. So when I asked her what she thought of the bible and discovered she's only read Matthew I was stunned. Periodically I check in and see if she's read more but the answer is always no, but she will talk about the three other books about faith, Grace, etc that she read instead. It's almost like she's afraid of what's in the bible.
Obviously I don't and never really thought the bible was divinely inspired but if I did I'd be devouring that book. What gives? Why don't most Christians read this thing?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2015, 09:10 PM
RE: Why don't Christians read their bibles?
I don't know! This has been a mystery to me, too. I also wonder why they read it backwards. Why do they start with the new testament and then work their way backwards to the old testament?
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
30-09-2015, 09:23 PM
Because we have our guns.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
30-09-2015, 09:36 PM
As books go the damned thing sucks. I don't blame anyone for not reading it.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
30-09-2015, 09:36 PM
See, you don't NEED to read the Bible to have faith that it's all true. In fact, reading it tends to be counterproductive to faith.

... depending how much time you're willing to invest in it, you might offer to make a weekly Bible-study session with her, one-on-one, reading from cover to cover. Be sure to slow down and talk about what's really happening rather than just read the passage. "Okay, so here God's drowning pretty much everyone and every thing that isn't on the Ark. If there's pregnant women, God's drowning them. Two-month-old-babies? Drowned. Tiny little adorable puppies and kittens? Die choking desperately for air."

(30-09-2015 09:23 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because we have our guns.

Silly Christian, you can't read a gun, any more than you can shoot a Bible.

.... oh, wait, if there's an inscription on the gun, you can do both.
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
30-09-2015, 11:37 PM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2015 11:46 PM by jennybee.)
When I was a Christian, my church stressed the NT. The OT didn't apply to us anymore because of Jesus--at least that was the thinking. As such, my church only read passages from the NT and those passages were cherry picked and spoon fed. If you were someone who actually ventured into the odd passages of the NT or even OT, the church had ready made answers for you. However, they did not like when you pushed with questions. This was my experience anyway. I think Christians tend to trust what the church tells them, including what is found in the Bible and due to this, some don't feel the need to read it. I also think the Bible intimidates some people.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
01-10-2015, 12:19 AM
If you don't read or don't believe what is in Genesis is true, than the rest of the bible is effectively invalidated?
[+] 1 user Likes cmr211's post
01-10-2015, 12:38 AM
Bible sucks as a book. Also maybe she heard something about it and now she is afraid of Bible destroying her vision of benevolent god? Or maybe it's simply a thing with so called holy books - they must look good on the shelf and that's all.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
01-10-2015, 03:55 AM
(01-10-2015 12:19 AM)cmr211 Wrote:  If you don't read or don't believe what is in Genesis is true, than the rest of the bible is effectively invalidated?

Well, if you don't take the whole 'fallen nature of humanity because a talking snake tricked a rib-woman-clone into eating a fruit from a magical tree' thing as literal, then there is absolutely no need for a 'savior' to fix everyone if they're not already broken. Without sin, the whole theology falls apart.

Fuck, that should be our slogan. Dodgy

Atheism: It's Okay, You're Not Broken.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 7 users Like EvolutionKills's post
01-10-2015, 04:23 AM
First, one has to know how to read.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post