Why don't Christians read their bibles?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2015, 06:02 PM
RE: Why don't Christians read their bibles?
(05-10-2015 05:49 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  "Because it's hard. It's really hard. It makes me wanna go poopy."

Lewis Black

Then keep it in the bathroom for time passing reading. It's not like they have any rules about it not being in a dirty area or being "below waist level" like I've seen people do with the Quran.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2015, 06:12 PM
(05-10-2015 04:38 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 04:14 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Not sure what you mean. Emotion drives significant thought and visa versa. One can think and think and think some more and often still not conclude any real or useful thing. Emotion denotes what is significant for the individual. To lack all emotion is to lack care and leads to indifference.

And its still irrelevant to the universe...because the universe lacks emotion which makes it indifferent (your words).

The universe doesn't emote. It doesn't feel or care or cry or get mad. It is guided by physical laws. Until you can prove otherwise, stop talking about the universe like it's your sister on her period.
The physical laws are not the guides. They are observable only. They are guided by what set them in motion.

Just because you may think that not even humans have souls, doesn't prove that all living things don't have souls.
05-10-2015, 06:14 PM
(05-10-2015 06:02 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 05:49 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  "Because it's hard. It's really hard. It makes me wanna go poopy."

Lewis Black

Then keep it in the bathroom for time passing reading. It's not like they have any rules about it not being in a dirty area or being "below waist level" like I've seen people do with the Quran.
Observe other people doing stupid shit most of my day. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.
05-10-2015, 06:27 PM
(05-10-2015 06:12 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Just because you may think that not even humans have souls, doesn't prove that all living things don't have souls.

And seeing as there's no evidence for any kind of soul (other than you feel like there is one), forgive me if I say that the concept of a soul is bullshit. Life is a conglomeration of matter that is explainable and understandable. What do you think a soul is? Spirity...stuff? How does it interact with its environment? Nobody has a good answer, because it's a made up notion driven by feeling, not facts.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
05-10-2015, 06:48 PM
(05-10-2015 06:27 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 06:12 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Just because you may think that not even humans have souls, doesn't prove that all living things don't have souls.

And seeing as there's no evidence for any kind of soul (other than you feel like there is one), forgive me if I say that the concept of a soul is bullshit. Life is a conglomeration of matter that is explainable and understandable. What do you think a soul is? Spirity...stuff? How does it interact with its environment? Nobody has a good answer, because it's a made up notion driven by feeling, not facts.
Again, just because science can observe something doesn't mean that it is explained in full by any means. Just because something doesn't physically seem to be needed or beneficial, due to the lack of a means to observe such things comprehensively, doesn't mean those inobservable things aren't intricately and wholly involved in existence. Hatred is observable through its reactions, yet by definition, a reaction cannot be a self causing action. Hatred isn't observable except through the physical. Does hatred not exist? Some peoples thought processes are so manipulated by the observation of the material that they would insist that hatred is physical in that it is caused by a chemical imbalance. I submit that the chemical imbalance is the effect and not solely the cause.

According to most evolutionists, and henceforth atheists, things that aren't needed are indeed still present. Something about survival of the fittest, and natural selection I think.

Wake up. Together there can be positive change i.e. evolution. Apart there can only be suffering and eventual extinction.
05-10-2015, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2015 07:10 PM by ClydeLee.)
(05-10-2015 06:48 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 06:27 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  And seeing as there's no evidence for any kind of soul (other than you feel like there is one), forgive me if I say that the concept of a soul is bullshit. Life is a conglomeration of matter that is explainable and understandable. What do you think a soul is? Spirity...stuff? How does it interact with its environment? Nobody has a good answer, because it's a made up notion driven by feeling, not facts.
Again, just because science can observe something doesn't mean that it is explained in full by any means. Just because something doesn't physically seem to be needed or beneficial, due to the lack of a means to observe such things comprehensively, doesn't mean those inobservable things aren't intricately and wholly involved in existence. Hatred is observable through its reactions, yet by definition, a reaction cannot be a self causing action. Hatred isn't observable except through the physical. Does hatred not exist? Some peoples thought processes are so manipulated by the observation of the material that they would insist that hatred is physical in that it is caused by a chemical imbalance. I submit that the chemical imbalance is the effect and not solely the cause.

According to most evolutionists, and henceforth atheists, things that aren't needed are indeed still present. Something about survival of the fittest, and natural selection I think.

Wake up. Together there can be positive change i.e. evolution. Apart there can only be suffering and eventual extinction.

And your judgement to proclaim something else exist is? What don't you get that you don't realize your view is entirely assumption based. Do you not deny that at least?

And hatred is visible in various manners. You could actually cause "positive" change if you actually found a way to think and respond to other humans in communication that is coherent. You "sumbit" and assert things.. and you have no justification other than you think it. Why do you actually think it, and why do you think the reason you give for why you think it is what you think it. You need to self examine and question everything you think, everyone ought to if they seek to say the things you proclaim.

05-10-2015, 07:13 PM
Hate exists, it is a neurological process in reaction to the environment or a person. Don't tell us to wake up to your personal unfounded beliefs. Theists should wake up and realize that they can't wish a higher power into existence, and that they have no evidence other than personal emotions and desires.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 1 user Likes Imathinker's post
05-10-2015, 07:16 PM
bible is an awfully thick and boring tome. someone (i.e. pastor) has to cherry pick the verses for the masses to gobble up.
05-10-2015, 07:18 PM
(05-10-2015 07:07 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 06:48 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Again, just because science can observe something doesn't mean that it is explained in full by any means. Just because something doesn't physically seem to be needed or beneficial, due to the lack of a means to observe such things comprehensively, doesn't mean those inobservable things aren't intricately and wholly involved in existence. Hatred is observable through its reactions, yet by definition, a reaction cannot be a self causing action. Hatred isn't observable except through the physical. Does hatred not exist? Some peoples thought processes are so manipulated by the observation of the material that they would insist that hatred is physical in that it is caused by a chemical imbalance. I submit that the chemical imbalance is the effect and not solely the cause.

And your judgement to proclaim something else exist is? What don't you get that you don't realize your view is entirely assumption based. Do you not deny that at least?

And hatred is visible in various manners. You could actually cause "positive" change if you actually found a way to think and respond to other humans in communication that is coherent. You "sumbit" and assert things.. and you have no justification other than you think it. Why do you actually think it, and why do you think the reason you give for why you think it is what you think it. You need to self examine and question everything you think, everyone ought to if they seek to say the things you proclaim.
It's a very true statement you made. I have been introspective my whole life. The things that I claim are known to me I do not simply think up out of the blue. A lot of the stuff I have to say is based on things I've known my whole life. I never had the boldness to say these things because they were just through personal experience and thought. I'm not going to go off on a tangent at this point in time. All I can say that these things were verified to me. You can claim that they are just ideas of mine. What you cannot do is say that they are assumptions of mine. An assumption is made without particular knowledge. Even though the knowledge is not strictly mind by my own experience it is knowledge nonetheless. I'm sure this all just makes me sound more nuts but I don't know how else to explain it at this time.
05-10-2015, 07:29 PM
(05-10-2015 07:18 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 07:07 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  And your judgement to proclaim something else exist is? What don't you get that you don't realize your view is entirely assumption based. Do you not deny that at least?

It's a very true statement you made. I have been introspective my whole life. The things that I claim are known to me I do not simply think up out of the blue. A lot of the stuff I have to say is based on things I've known my whole life. I never had the boldness to say these things because they were just through personal experience and thought. I'm not going to go off on a tangent at this point in time. All I can say that these things were verified to me. You can claim that they are just ideas of mine. What you cannot do is say that they are assumptions of mine. An assumption is made without particular knowledge. Even though the knowledge is not strictly mind by my own experience it is knowledge nonetheless. I'm sure this all just makes me sound more nuts but I don't know how else to explain it at this time.

That is not what an assumption means. You frequently also like to do that with other various terminologies and views and interpret them to whatever whim you seem to feel like or think instead of investigating them. Assumption is accepting something as certain, without proof.

That's not how philosophically defined, actual knowledge works. Read up on the Problem of Induction or other various questions about what defines knowledge. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_induction

It's not "nuts" it's just lazy faulty logic that isn't actually formulating anything reasonable worthy to accept, because it is demonstrably through testing flawed. It's why personal revelation isn't taken in courtrooms anymore, if we still trusted your style of reasonable knowledge, the world wouldn't work on the basis it does. Legal systems, electronic systems, and much more would be unbalanced to the whims of what people thought they had knowledge on with conviction of it.

[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post