Why don't Christians read their bibles?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2015, 11:31 AM
RE: Why don't Christians read their bibles?
The reason *some* good Christian folk don't read their bibles is because it's far easier to be taught or told what it says and therefore what and how to think, than to actually read it for themselves.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2015, 11:36 AM
(01-10-2015 08:58 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Kinda like my Sig for some.

I don't see any sig.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-10-2015, 12:05 PM
(01-10-2015 08:37 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 08:27 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  So, the overwhelming majority of Christians are liars and hypocrites? Consider

Well, we agree on that at least.
Consider what? That is exactly my point.

Wait, time out. Pops, when you look at the next line on your screen, what do you see?

Consider

Do you see an animated smiley stroking its chin in contemplation, or do you just see the word "consider" flanked by two colons?
01-10-2015, 12:06 PM
(01-10-2015 08:23 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I read the bible and other scripture daily. If someone claims to be a saved Christian yet doesn't read scriptures and walk without repeated sin then they are lying to themselves and others.

I know another guy here who would get along really well with you... assuming you are using the correct interpretation of the Bible.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
01-10-2015, 12:07 PM
(01-10-2015 08:23 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I read the bible and other scripture daily. If someone claims to be a saved Christian yet doesn't read scriptures and walk without repeated sin then they are lying to themselves and others.

Cleaned that up for you! Man, people are so unnecessarily wordy!
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
01-10-2015, 12:08 PM
Because reading the Bible takes effort. And why would you want to put any effort into something that affects your life and every thought process like that hm?
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
01-10-2015, 12:14 PM
(01-10-2015 11:01 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 12:19 AM)cmr211 Wrote:  If you don't read or don't believe what is in Genesis is true, than the rest of the bible is effectively invalidated?

No.

Not even in the slightest.

Like EvolutionKills said though, if you don't believe in original sin, then why did you need Jesus to save you?

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 1 user Likes Imathinker's post
01-10-2015, 12:47 PM
(01-10-2015 12:14 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 11:01 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  No.

Not even in the slightest.

Like EvolutionKills said though, if you don't believe in original sin, then why did you need Jesus to save you?

You're just creating a false dilemma. Humans were always sinful. God set it up that way.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
01-10-2015, 01:00 PM
(01-10-2015 12:47 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 12:14 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  Like EvolutionKills said though, if you don't believe in original sin, then why did you need Jesus to save you?

You're just creating a false dilemma. Humans were always sinful. God set it up that way.

Do you think telling a young child that being born a human makes them sinful (by no fault of their own), and then pitching a story as the only counter to this "sinfulness" that they cannot escape, is flat out manipulation of a vulnerable mind?

Why not not teach from observation and correct bad behavior while explaining what the better behavior would be, along with encouraging any already exhibited good behaviors?

Don't you think blanket negative ideas like "you were made sinful" is not something a child should be forced to deal with? How is that different than parents that drill into their kids heads that they are "no good" or "rotten"?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 3 users Like Timber1025's post
01-10-2015, 01:02 PM
It seems ridiculous that people are born sinful, although we should all agree that everyone goes on to do bad things later.
[+] 1 user Likes cmr211's post