Why don't Christians read their bibles?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2015, 01:09 PM
RE: Why don't Christians read their bibles?
(01-10-2015 12:47 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 12:14 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  Like EvolutionKills said though, if you don't believe in original sin, then why did you need Jesus to save you?

You're just creating a false dilemma. Humans were always sinful. God set it up that way.

Why would god set it up so that we are inherently bad, and then need to be saved? I don't like telling kids they were born sinners either.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Imathinker's post
01-10-2015, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2015 01:18 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(01-10-2015 09:03 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Some of the volunteer fruitcakes were passing out stuff like this at the detention centre where I used to work. I guess Facebook educated people are more likely to read and empathize with it.

[Image: 51Q2oXCRjYL._SX333_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg] [Image: 51srdr0SQhL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

[Image: 6nbau.jpg]

[Image: mlfw10565-1387381240302.gif]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
01-10-2015, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2015 02:37 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(01-10-2015 01:09 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 12:47 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  You're just creating a false dilemma. Humans were always sinful. God set it up that way.

Why would god set it up so that we are inherently bad, and then need to be saved? I don't like telling kids they were born sinners either.

Because god is an asshole who judges us for not being the perfect little beings he could have made us, but that he chose not to, and instead holds us accountable for his failures and/or purposeful design decisions.

We're the fucking experiment of a cosmic sadist.

How about no?

The theology still makes zero sense, and there is no way to justify anything that comes close to being worthy of worship unless you ignore huge chunks of the bible.

[+] 6 users Like EvolutionKills's post
01-10-2015, 01:18 PM
But what about 1000s of other religions, what do they say on everyone being sinful?
01-10-2015, 01:21 PM
(01-10-2015 01:09 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 12:47 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  You're just creating a false dilemma. Humans were always sinful. God set it up that way.

That's kinda how Catholicism these days and things like Calvinism accept it. God is just kind of a nutbag who decided for human unknown reasons to make up strange scenarios. God also for whatever reason decided the hebrews at some time to finally start wrestling and going to meet people face to face so they could right down the real gods details instead of those pagan believes that lingered before. Then he decided to make less literate than some masses of people existing his chosen people where he would plop down his son a couple thousand years later... then he decided to not really do any of that showing up stuff again. And it's not at anyway certain why any of these exists but it just flows well with all the attributes of a "liberal" view of god. Though he still isn't certainly benevolent, he just has the power and does whatever he decided to do.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
01-10-2015, 01:28 PM
(01-10-2015 10:26 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I think that those who do only read it through the lens of John 3:16. I was having a texting discussion with my sister the other day and she said that Job 38 as god building up Job. I see it completely differently. I also think that so many bible studies/pastors cherrypick what they tell the people. This, coupled with the fact that so many will just lap that shit up without pondering the implications keeps this nonsense going.

The problem with the bible is that it is a collection of books written over a long period of time and quite possibly written by people who actually disagreed on a slew of interpretations. I'm in the middle of the book by Bart Ehrman called "How Jesus became God", and it was eye opening to see how looking at the gospel of Mark and comparing it to the others that you can see the evolution of Jesus from a perception standpoint.

I find the birth stories in Matthew and Luke interesting, because conventional wisdom forces your typical Christian to reconcile them so that everyone knows that Jesus was visited by both a group of shepherds and wise men from the east. But if you read both accounts for what they are and understand why they were written and the circulation patterns for NT books and it makes you wonder how can they be reconciled? Why instead, wouldn't you start with the acceptance of one gospel and reject all the others for not being accurate in the details? Same with the book of Job. Originally, it looks more like a Greek myth where the gods are toying with a mortal in order to test his dedication. Isn't it odd how Lucifer is sitting in heaven with God and they're discussing whether Job has true faith or just an easy life? Today, Job needs to be reinterpreted as character building exercise to use as an example to other Christians.
01-10-2015, 01:30 PM

Is it technically a false dilemma? Well, yes.

I'll still be waiting over here for evidence to substantiate the supposed existence of sin.

It's cool. I'll wait. Drinking Beverage

01-10-2015, 01:32 PM
(01-10-2015 01:28 PM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  Same with the book of Job. Originally, it looks more like a Greek myth where the gods are toying with a mortal in order to test his dedication. Isn't it odd how Lucifer is sitting in heaven with God and they're discussing whether Job has true faith or just an easy life? Today, Job needs to be reinterpreted as character building exercise to use as an example to other Christians.

01-10-2015, 06:33 PM
(01-10-2015 01:30 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

Is it technically a false dilemma? Well, yes.

I'll still be waiting over here for evidence to substantiate the supposed existence of sin.

We aren't born with sin. It is a product of society. Children are innocent until they become greedy. This can be a natural Thing for some, but is learned by most at an amazingly young age.
01-10-2015, 06:34 PM
(01-10-2015 06:33 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 01:30 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Is it technically a false dilemma? Well, yes.

We aren't born with sin. It is a product of society. Children are innocent until they become greedy. This can be a natural Thing for some, but is learned by most at an amazingly young age.

Our Calvinist buddy disagrees with your interpretation.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post