Why don't I believe this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Why don't I believe this?
What are we going to say about this one? Just a few months before Brazil had a 2-year-old boy sit up in his coffin a day after being declared dead from heart failure and asking his dad for some water, then lying back down and dying again. Is it just me, or does Brazil have a credibility problem? I just can't believe these stories actually make it into papers like the Daily News.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/ba...-1.1397046

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2013, 04:58 PM
RE: Why don't I believe this?
Well, if there's any shred of truth to the story, a medical anomaly, not a miracle, is behind it. Sadly much of the world won't won't see it that way.

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
[+] 2 users Like Percepticon's post
15-07-2013, 08:00 AM
I don't think this as possible whatsoever. So not surprised you do aswell.

" My friends. You bow to no one. " - Aragorn

"A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. " — Samuel Clemens

Simple....buy low, sell high.

Life in Rivendell is nice .
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WeasleyFromTheShire's post
15-07-2013, 10:43 PM
(13-07-2013 01:17 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  What are we going to say about this one? Just a few months before Brazil had a 2-year-old boy sit up in his coffin a day after being declared dead from heart failure and asking his dad for some water, then lying back down and dying again. Is it just me, or does Brazil have a credibility problem? I just can't believe these stories actually make it into papers like the Daily News.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/ba...-1.1397046

I think this is it:

Lazarus syndrome or autoresuscitation after failed cardiopulmonary resuscitation[1] is the spontaneous return of circulation after failed attempts at resuscitation.[2] Its occurrence has been noted in medical literature at least 25 times since 1982.[3] Also called Lazarus phenomenon, it takes its name from Lazarus who, according to the New Testament, was raised from the dead by Jesus.[4]

Occurrences of the syndrome are extremely rare and the causes are not well understood. One theory for the phenomenon is that a chief factor (though not the only one) is the buildup of pressure in the chest as a result of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). The relaxation of pressure after resuscitation efforts have ended is thought to allow the heart to expand, triggering the heart's electrical impulses and restarting the heartbeat.[2] Other possible factors are hyperkalemia or high doses of epinephrine.[4]

Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarus_syndrome

"What do you hope to accomplish by coming here, mortal? You have something that belongs to me and I want it." - Dr. Malcolm Betruger.
Will be away from 4.4.2013 to 20.4.2013.
[+] 4 users Like Lukas1986's post
16-07-2013, 03:03 PM
I knew it was just a matter of time before my dad raised the issue...
And i was right!
Today
WHAMM!
"explain this.
Explain how a dead body became alive again "
then i was like
"never heard of wrong diagnosis of a medic? Its more likely he wasnt dead but the medic gave a false diagnosis than that god did it"

anyway,the lazarus thingy makes sense.
I'll raise the issue again soon

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 3 users Like Lightvader's post
09-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Thanks guys, I was away on a project so forgive me for not responding to your terrific replies in a timely manner.

----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
09-12-2013, 04:13 PM
What it actually speaks of is the sorry state of "medicine" in Brazil.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
09-12-2013, 04:36 PM
There is a huge difference between clinical death and permanent death. Clinical death is simply when doctors cannot detect vital signs. Permanent death is when the window has been passed beyond vital signs, and cell and body tissue is damaged beyond reversal.

So in this story two things are possible.

1. They are lying to get attention, very likely.

Or,

2. Misdiagnosis,

What DID NOT happen is that the boy went beyond clinical death, suffered permanent death beyond tissue and cell repair, and magically reversed it.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
09-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Yep, I agree Brian. This clearly is a country with people looking for attention and lying to get it, which sounds religious, doesn't it? Smile

----
09-12-2013, 04:57 PM
[Image: sherlockholmes.jpg]
"No girl wants to marry a doctor who can't even tell if a man's dead or not."

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 5 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post