Why don't we ever encounter aliens?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2012, 09:59 PM
RE: Why don't we ever encounter aliens?
The way I see it is; We are likely not the only "intelligent" life in the universe, it makes no sense to me that we'd be the only "intelligent" group here, given the billions of galaxies which likely have at least some worlds capable of life...

However I highly doubt non-earthen, intelligent life is within our reach, nor are we in theirs.

However I feel Bemore brings up a couple interesting points, and I would like to offer my own speculation.
*ahem*

(09-08-2012 12:27 PM)bemore Wrote:  Alien Civilisations might be millions of years ahead of us biologically and technologically..... we may be of very little interest to them.

In regards to this point, I would like to bring up an alternative. (assuming we are within some kind of detection distance, as in, the area we've polluted with our brand of white noise) Perhaps we are the most advanced in our area, and simply can't find others because they can't or don't spew out the crap we do.
Also I take issue with "biologically", I doubt you can use how far up or down biologically a creature is as a measurement system here. Biological advancement I don't feel is much more than adaptation and that follows different parameters for difference environments.

(09-08-2012 12:27 PM)bemore Wrote:  We could be so primitive to them..... that to make lasting contact may be damaging not only to us but to themselves (think capitalism in space)

I highly doubt this, as primitive as we are, assuming we are known of, I think we'd be more of a scientific curiosity than a concern, besides it seems logical to me that a civilisation that has the capacity to observe us could just as easily wipe us out if they feel the need. I mean, you've got a weird thing living in your back yard, you don't touch the damn thing 'till you know what your dealing with, if at all. (Given our history to violence when we discover a new intelligent "species" (or more applicable history wise; race).

(09-08-2012 12:27 PM)bemore Wrote:  If they exist and they visit us.... if they have the ability to travel faster than light then I guess they would of clocked bending light (invisibility), hence why we dont see them.

Under the same "IF'S" I agree, it's plausible, but like I said at the beginning, I doubt there is anything within reach of us, regardless of tech.

ExclExclExcl*DISCLAIMER* Given my belief that evidence is required for a justifiable/justified belief, I openly state now that I may be wrong as I have no evidence for my assumptions beyond my own idealism. And as such am open to alternative ideas on this subject. *DISCLAIMER CLOSE*ExclExclExcl

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
11-08-2012, 11:33 PM
(30-05-2012 02:44 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  It seems we signal but there's no answer. Where is everybody?
The reasons for not running into aliens very often, quite possible, can be determined by five factors.

I would also like to add that there are almost an infinite number of different wave frequencies that alien civilizations can use. Most if not all of our communications sent out into space only use 1 frequency per channel.
12-08-2012, 07:03 AM
(11-08-2012 08:38 PM)Superluminal Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 12:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  Consider that there could be thousands or millions of planets with intelligent life and technological civilizations in our galaxy alone right now, but there just hasn't been enough time for any signal to get here from any of them. Not enough time for a signal from any of them to get to any other one. The distances are huge.

What's less unlikely is that there may have been thousands or millions of technological societies that did themselves in, or that electromagnetic technology is less common.

There are many other possibilities.

Maybe. But the whole Milky Way is only 100,000 light years across, and 13.2 billion years old. So in 13.2 billion years another technological civilization would only need to be about 100,000 or so years ahead of us in development to have completely permeated the entire galaxy with electromagnetic signal by now. That civilization would only be ahead of us by .00075% of the galaxy's lifespan. If that hasn't happened by now, it means it is incredibly rare to have intelligent life.

Not necessarily. If technological civilizations have a finite duration, the shell of electromagnetic radiation from any or all of them could have come and gone before we had the means to detect it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2012, 07:35 AM
(12-08-2012 07:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 08:38 PM)Superluminal Wrote:  Maybe. But the whole Milky Way is only 100,000 light years across, and 13.2 billion years old. So in 13.2 billion years another technological civilization would only need to be about 100,000 or so years ahead of us in development to have completely permeated the entire galaxy with electromagnetic signal by now. That civilization would only be ahead of us by .00075% of the galaxy's lifespan. If that hasn't happened by now, it means it is incredibly rare to have intelligent life.

Not necessarily. If technological civilizations have a finite duration, the shell of electromagnetic radiation from any or all of them could have come and gone before we had the means to detect it.

That could be true too. There is always the argument that civilizations would just create a virtual reality and retreat into it once they become advanced enough.
12-08-2012, 07:36 AM
Maybe they are here, under cover...some intergalactic spy ring...they walk among us.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
12-08-2012, 12:49 PM
(12-08-2012 07:36 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Maybe they are here, under cover...some intergalactic spy ring...they walk among us.
I don't have to worry about that, my tin foil hat keeps me safe. Smile

[Image: 6bdaeb5c_tin-foil-hat_thumb.jpeg]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
12-08-2012, 10:55 PM
(11-08-2012 08:38 PM)Superluminal Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 12:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  Consider that there could be thousands or millions of planets with intelligent life and technological civilizations in our galaxy alone right now, but there just hasn't been enough time for any signal to get here from any of them. Not enough time for a signal from any of them to get to any other one. The distances are huge.

What's less unlikely is that there may have been thousands or millions of technological societies that did themselves in, or that electromagnetic technology is less common.

There are many other possibilities.

Maybe. But the whole Milky Way is only 100,000 light years across, and 13.2 billion years old. So in 13.2 billion years another technological civilization would only need to be about 100,000 or so years ahead of us in development to have completely permeated the entire galaxy with electromagnetic signal by now. That civilization would only be ahead of us by .00075% of the galaxy's lifespan. If that hasn't happened by now, it means it is incredibly rare to have intelligent life.

No, a lack of signals could mean they are smarter than we are. We for too many centuries believed that we are alone in the universe. We went for far too long without technology because of the catholic church and their witchcraft shit holding us back. If you watch life on this planet and see that every form of life is competing for food and often eat other animals, you might decide to use wires instead of sending signals into space. By doing as we do, we could be setting ourselves up for and independence day type situation. If they never had crazy beliefs about technology and progress and were observant of their surroundings, they would stay hidden on purpose. You never know who is an enemy or a friend. It would take much study if we were visited to decide to reveal themselves or to just destroy us for fear of encountering us out in space at some point.