Why don't you believe in a possible God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2016, 12:39 AM
Why don't you believe in a possible God?
Hi. Firstly, disclaimer. I am an agnostic. I come with this question out of ignorance of the matter as most "atheists" I run into speak as if they are certain there is no God. However, reading some of the writings on this board I notice that isn't quite where a lot of sophisticated atheists typically file their opinion.

I notice most people, religious or not, base their opinions of a process of reasoning that doesn't quite hold up under scrutiny. A lot of people simply don't see the bias that directs their opinions. For a lot of atheists, they don't seem to consider anything outside of disagreeing with established ideas and religions. Naturally this is curious because we are of limited intellect, crowding one tiny planet in the vast cosmos, most of us having hardly even explored much of this tiny planet, much less the universe. Yet most of us are so certain in what we believe and don't believe. After all, consciousness could be contained in dark matter. Probably isn't. But it could be.

A universe of laws without a lawmaker is a curious one. The four forces....have force somehow. We may never be able to understand it. Though if we assume design, then the obvious question who designed the designer and so on and so fourth pops up pretty quick. Again, a somewhat hidden bias behind peoples thinking is that the concept of a God entails no need for an even higher creator, yet for some reason the concept of the universe does. Nobody knows the answer to that question of course.

So I wonder, why the disbelief? Or rather, when did you declare yourself an atheist as opposed to not declaring yourself anything at all? (as perhaps a man alone in a world of strictly science may do)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2016, 12:45 AM
RE: Why don't you believe in a possible God?
Welcome to TTA and thanks for the compliment.

The answer is 42.

42 years ago.

God(s) claims were made ... I rejected them.

Thumbsup

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
17-01-2016, 12:47 AM
Hello! Big Grin

So, basically a "God of the gaps" ?

"We don't know what causes 'X'... therefore god done it." ?

Also, your language and the use thereof seems very (No disrespect intended) 'Classically apologetic'.

I'm happy to call/identify myself as simply a 'Non-theist' along side the quicker to say 'Atheist'.
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
17-01-2016, 12:57 AM
It isn't disbelief. It is simply a concept without any proof.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
17-01-2016, 01:04 AM
I like to describe myself as ignostic to the word "god," as the term is extremely squirrelly and can mean pretty much anything you want it to.
The internet is my god. I worship him daily.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
17-01-2016, 01:06 AM
(17-01-2016 01:04 AM)cactus Wrote:  I like to describe myself as ignostic to the word "god," as the term is extremely squirrelly and can mean pretty much anything you want it to.

Him?

Blink

17-01-2016, 01:09 AM
(17-01-2016 01:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 01:04 AM)cactus Wrote:  I like to describe myself as ignostic to the word "god," as the term is extremely squirrelly and can mean pretty much anything you want it to.

Him?

Blink

Oh right, sorry. I worship (capital H) Him daily.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
17-01-2016, 01:46 AM
I AM God. Drinking Beverage

#sigh
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-01-2016, 01:49 AM
(17-01-2016 01:46 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I AM God. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
17-01-2016, 01:50 AM
Why the disbelief? Cause there is no proof for existence of something called god. It's reason enough.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post