Why don't you believe in a possible God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2016, 01:33 PM
RE: Why don't you believe in a possible God?
(18-01-2016 12:39 PM)LostLocke Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 10:24 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Tiamat: In Babylonian myths, Tiamat is a huge, bloated female dragon that personifies the saltwater ocean, the water of Chaos. She is also the primordial mother of all that exists, including the gods themselves.

[Image: tiamat_by_victoradameart-d8d0jd7.jpg]
You are obviously not a true Tiamatist. Anyone who was a true believer would know that this is Tiamat:

[Image: latest?cb=20091224162247]
Nah, chaos is potential, but not causal.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2016, 01:34 PM
(18-01-2016 12:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 11:33 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Cool, I can flip an emo virgin on the market for at least twice what I paid. Sucker!

You're the sucker. You think I sold you a virgin.

An emo who's gotten laid?

Now that's a miracle!
18-01-2016, 01:41 PM
(18-01-2016 01:34 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 12:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You're the sucker. You think I sold you a virgin.

An emo who's gotten laid?

Now that's a miracle!

The Maori had their way with him. It was not pretty.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-01-2016, 01:48 PM
(18-01-2016 11:06 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 11:01 AM)Leo Wrote:  The question of this thread is really silly. The real question is what's a god?

Anything that can collapse the wave function.

I dunno. That requires exponential levels of imaginary.

... no, wait, that's a Fourier transform, my bad.
18-01-2016, 01:50 PM
(18-01-2016 01:48 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 11:06 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Anything that can collapse the wave function.

I dunno. That requires exponential levels of imaginary.

... no, wait, that's a Fourier transform, my bad.

You so silly. A Haar transform was adequate. Tongue

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
18-01-2016, 02:15 PM
(18-01-2016 01:33 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 12:39 PM)LostLocke Wrote:  You are obviously not a true Tiamatist. Anyone who was a true believer would know that this is Tiamat:

Incorrect:

From the Enuma Elish:

When in the height heaven was not named,
And the earth beneath did not yet bear a name,
And the primeval Apsu, who begat them,
And chaos, Tiamut, the mother of them both
Their waters were mingled together,
And no field was formed, no marsh was to be seen;
When of the gods none had been called into being,
And none bore a name, and no destinies were ordained;
Then were created the gods in the midst of heaven

As you can see, the Enuma Elish clearly says Apsu and Tiamat together created all of the gods, then THEY created everything.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
18-01-2016, 04:24 PM
(18-01-2016 01:33 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 12:39 PM)LostLocke Wrote:  You are obviously not a true Tiamatist. Anyone who was a true believer would know that this is Tiamat:

Nah, poptarts is phonetic, but not regulatory.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
18-01-2016, 04:46 PM
I once met a flathead who claimed to be a xian. I threw him back. Told him he should go to the other place where he'd be more appreciated.

[Image: flathead_stone_main.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
18-01-2016, 06:16 PM
(17-01-2016 12:39 AM)GrandMasterK Wrote:  Hi. Firstly, disclaimer. I am an agnostic. I come with this question out of ignorance of the matter as most "atheists" I run into speak as if they are certain there is no God. However, reading some of the writings on this board I notice that isn't quite where a lot of sophisticated atheists typically file their opinion.

I notice most people, religious or not, base their opinions of a process of reasoning that doesn't quite hold up under scrutiny. A lot of people simply don't see the bias that directs their opinions. For a lot of atheists, they don't seem to consider anything outside of disagreeing with established ideas and religions. Naturally this is curious because we are of limited intellect, crowding one tiny planet in the vast cosmos, most of us having hardly even explored much of this tiny planet, much less the universe. Yet most of us are so certain in what we believe and don't believe. After all, consciousness could be contained in dark matter. Probably isn't. But it could be.

A universe of laws without a lawmaker is a curious one. The four forces....have force somehow. We may never be able to understand it. Though if we assume design, then the obvious question who designed the designer and so on and so fourth pops up pretty quick. Again, a somewhat hidden bias behind peoples thinking is that the concept of a God entails no need for an even higher creator, yet for some reason the concept of the universe does. Nobody knows the answer to that question of course.

So I wonder, why the disbelief? Or rather, when did you declare yourself an atheist as opposed to not declaring yourself anything at all? (as perhaps a man alone in a world of strictly science may do)

Consider

We are born atheists, and are either taught religious perspectives or get exposed to them later in life and then choose to believe in mythology or not. Since there is zero evidence of god/s, a critical thinking person would construe they don't exist outside of the philosophical musings of ancient men who were trying to figure out what caused lightning, strife, love, fortune and misery in the world. We can sit around the campfire smoking bongs and take turns making up "wouldn't it be cool if..." stories but that isn't productive, does not lead us down the epistemological path to the truth, and in the end is simply the physical expression of neurological flatulence.

Why do you choose to believe god/s could exist?

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 7 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
20-01-2016, 08:01 AM
(17-01-2016 12:39 AM)GrandMasterK Wrote:  Hi. Firstly, disclaimer. I am an agnostic. I come with this question out of ignorance of the matter as most "atheists" I run into speak as if they are certain there is no God. However, reading some of the writings on this board I notice that isn't quite where a lot of sophisticated atheists typically file their opinion.

Most people I know here that identify as atheist identify as agnostic atheist. They don't believe in any gods, but don't believe that this can be proven. It's more of a lack of belief in the positive assertion that there are any gods. This is how I feel.

I've talked to very few strong atheists, and most of them take agnostic stances in arguments if pressed into a corner. Maybe they're trying to be edgelords or something. I don't know.

(17-01-2016 12:39 AM)GrandMasterK Wrote:  So I wonder, why the disbelief?

Because there's no evidence for these fantastic claims, coupled with that they seem absurd or completely ad hoc.

(17-01-2016 12:39 AM)GrandMasterK Wrote:  Or rather, when did you declare yourself an atheist as opposed to not declaring yourself anything at all?

I only label myself this way because theism exists at all, and people seem to think it's super important. If there were no belief in gods, I'd still believe the same things and wouldn't be applying that label to myself.

Remember: you don't need to prove that no gods exist; no one has proven that they do. We're still waiting on the people making that claim to back it. I'll go back to modding Doom while they work on that.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post