Why don't you believe in a possible God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2016, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2016 11:09 AM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Why don't you believe in a possible God?
(17-01-2016 01:49 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 01:46 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I AM God. Drinking Beverage

Reach out and touch faith bitches.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2016, 11:25 AM
(17-01-2016 01:09 AM)cactus Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 01:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Him?

Blink

Oh right, sorry. I worship (capital H) Him daily.

No. It was a question, not a correction.

Why is your internet god a 'him'?

My research indicates that it's decidedly female (and naked).

Angry

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
17-01-2016, 12:34 PM
(17-01-2016 12:39 AM)GrandMasterK Wrote:  Hi. Firstly, disclaimer. I am an agnostic.

Atheist: One who does not believe.
Agnostic: One who does not claim to know.

Two different terms, not even necessarily related.

I am an agnostic atheist. I do not believe in God (atheist) but I do not know that he does not exist (agnostic).

Quote:I come with this question out of ignorance of the matter as most "atheists" I run into speak as if they are certain there is no God. However, reading some of the writings on this board I notice that isn't quite where a lot of sophisticated atheists typically file their opinion.

That will depend on who you're talking to and what they are talking about when they say "God". For example, I will confidently state that the Abrahamic God worshipped by Judaism, Christianity and Islam does not exist. It's an invention of man, internally inconsistent and gets beaten by iron chariots. This may be the "God" that they are referring to.

On the other hand, I will not rule out the possibility of some Divine Creator lurking out there somewhere. That doesn't mean that I have to believe in it though.

Quote:For a lot of atheists, they don't seem to consider anything outside of disagreeing with established ideas and religions.

It sounds like your problem might be a superficial understanding of what "a lot of atheists" actually think.

Quote:Naturally this is curious because we are of limited intellect, crowding one tiny planet in the vast cosmos, most of us having hardly even explored much of this tiny planet, much less the universe. Yet most of us are so certain in what we believe and don't believe. After all, consciousness could be contained in dark matter. Probably isn't. But it could be.

This is because it is unnecessary to believe something without a shred of evidence. For example, it is possible that life exists on Venus. There is no evidence to suggest that this is true so I do not believe it. If new evidence comes to my attention I will examine it and revise my beliefs. Simple skepticism.

Quote:Though if we assume design...

Don't. The argument against design is pretty sound evidence that our universe wasn't designed. In form and function it has the random, chaotic and organic appearance of something that lacks any intent whatsoever.

Quote:So I wonder, why the disbelief?

Because of the lack of evidence. I suspect that you may be confusing disbelief with belief against. One says, "I do not believe it." while the other proclaims "I believe that it is not!" These are very different statements and should not be mixed up with one another.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
17-01-2016, 02:05 PM
If you provide a definition of God, I will consider it.

Most proposed gods do not exist. Period. An immortal human living in the sky? Nope. An omnipotent agent? No. An omnibenevolent almighty God? Nope. A God who is both merciful and just? Nope.

Some gods do exist. Is God simply energy? Yup, that exists. Is God another word for love? That exists too. Or are we using God as a synonym for the universe. That certainly exists.

Other gods are still on the table as possible. However until positive evidence is given for these entities the best option is to withhold belief. Positive claims require positive evidence.

So give a definition and we will discuss it.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
17-01-2016, 02:06 PM
Why should I?
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
17-01-2016, 03:01 PM
(17-01-2016 12:39 AM)GrandMasterK Wrote:  Hi. Firstly, disclaimer. I am an agnostic. I come with this question out of ignorance of the matter as most "atheists" I run into speak as if they are certain there is no God. However, reading some of the writings on this board I notice that isn't quite where a lot of sophisticated atheists typically file their opinion.

Phrases like these usually indicate generalizations are approaching.

(17-01-2016 12:39 AM)GrandMasterK Wrote:  I notice most people, religious or not, base their opinions of a process of reasoning that doesn't quite hold up under scrutiny. A lot of people simply don't see the bias that directs their opinions.

Wow. Approaching with headlights on.

(17-01-2016 12:39 AM)GrandMasterK Wrote:  For a lot of atheists, they don't seem to consider anything outside of disagreeing with established ideas and religions.

And there it is. Ask what people have considered. Ask what people have disagreed with. It's rather insulting to come in and assume such things about us.

Is there a point to this? A lot of religious folks refuse to consider anything that disagrees with the ravings of illiterate holy men, scribbled down by barely literate sycophants and passed down for at least a thousand years.

(17-01-2016 12:39 AM)GrandMasterK Wrote:  Naturally this is curious because we are of limited intellect, crowding one tiny planet in the vast cosmos, most of us having hardly even explored much of this tiny planet, much less the universe. Yet most of us are so certain in what we believe and don't believe.

It is my experience that the certainty lies on the religious side. If scientific evidence for a religious idea (...snicker...) is presented, I will consider that like any other idea. Hasn't happened yet though.

(17-01-2016 12:39 AM)GrandMasterK Wrote:  After all, consciousness could be contained in dark matter. Probably isn't. But it could be.
Are you citing a scientific theory or wildly speculating? Because the Lunar Hamster Beings dwelling in the subterranean moon cities could be directing our every move and watching over us. Could be, but not likely.

(17-01-2016 12:39 AM)GrandMasterK Wrote:  A universe of laws without a lawmaker is a curious one. The four forces....have force somehow. We may never be able to understand it.

The conditions that created this universe follow patterns that we are attempting to understand. "Law" is not used very often, since it is accepted that consistency is not always universal. However we will never understand it or learn anything new by relying on religion.

(17-01-2016 12:39 AM)GrandMasterK Wrote:  Though if we assume design, then the obvious question who designed the designer and so on and so fourth pops up pretty quick.
Which is why we don't assume a designer.

(17-01-2016 12:39 AM)GrandMasterK Wrote:  Again, a somewhat hidden bias behind peoples thinking is that the concept of a God entails no need for an even higher creator, yet for some reason the concept of the universe does. Nobody knows the answer to that question of course.

That doesn't make any sense. There is physical, scientific, measurable evidence for the universe. There is absolutely no evidence for god.

(17-01-2016 12:39 AM)GrandMasterK Wrote:  So I wonder, why the disbelief? Or rather, when did you declare yourself an atheist as opposed to not declaring yourself anything at all? (as perhaps a man alone in a world of strictly science may do)

Why the disbelief?
Because literally all of the holy books have had the core beliefs disproved scientifically.
Because literally all of the religious philosophy has fallen apart under scrutiny, criticism and rational thinking.
Because literally none of the organized (or disorganized) religions can offer any credible evidence or justification for their beliefs.
Because faith is not a virtue and is not enough.

The word atheist is not a title or a mantle. It is an answer to a question. Do you believe in a god? No, I am an atheist. That's it. It's not a philosophy, not a religion, not anything but an answer.

Could there be a creator god? Define one. Give me something to discuss. There could be anything. But what has already been described and worshiped has already been disproved.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
17-01-2016, 03:23 PM
A universe with a god must have a god maker Smile

Care to take a guess at who those god makers are ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
17-01-2016, 03:27 PM
(17-01-2016 12:39 AM)GrandMasterK Wrote:  Hi. Firstly, disclaimer. I am an agnostic. I come with this question out of ignorance of the matter as most "atheists" I run into speak as if they are certain there is no God. However, reading some of the writings on this board I notice that isn't quite where a lot of sophisticated atheists typically file their opinion.

I notice most people, religious or not, base their opinions of a process of reasoning that doesn't quite hold up under scrutiny. A lot of people simply don't see the bias that directs their opinions. For a lot of atheists, they don't seem to consider anything outside of disagreeing with established ideas and religions. Naturally this is curious because we are of limited intellect, crowding one tiny planet in the vast cosmos, most of us having hardly even explored much of this tiny planet, much less the universe. Yet most of us are so certain in what we believe and don't believe. After all, consciousness could be contained in dark matter. Probably isn't. But it could be.

A universe of laws without a lawmaker is a curious one. The four forces....have force somehow. We may never be able to understand it. Though if we assume design, then the obvious question who designed the designer and so on and so fourth pops up pretty quick. Again, a somewhat hidden bias behind peoples thinking is that the concept of a God entails no need for an even higher creator, yet for some reason the concept of the universe does. Nobody knows the answer to that question of course.

So I wonder, why the disbelief? Or rather, when did you declare yourself an atheist as opposed to not declaring yourself anything at all? (as perhaps a man alone in a world of strictly science may do)

Why would I believe in an impossible god? Oh, and which god, Thor, Zeus, Artemis, Isis etc etc?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
17-01-2016, 04:14 PM
(17-01-2016 03:23 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  A universe with a god must have a god maker Smile

Care to take a guess at who those god makers are ?

It's just turtles all the way down!
[+] 2 users Like DerFish's post
17-01-2016, 04:25 PM
I believe in all kinds of possibilities, as possibilities. Generally, though, I put my money on probabilities.

Possibilities are probabilities with nothing to back them up.