Why don't you believe in a possible God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2016, 05:42 PM
RE: Why don't you believe in a possible God?
But wouldn't a possible God be a relief after all the impossible ones we have been confronted with all our lives? I really would like to hear more about this possible God!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
17-01-2016, 05:52 PM
(17-01-2016 12:39 AM)GrandMasterK Wrote:  A universe of laws without a lawmaker is a curious one.

Unless you have some book of laws written by "god" -- you'll have to agree that all the "laws" of our physical universe are invented by humans who have limited knowledge.

Those "laws" are fluid - and will continue to change as we explore and better understand our universe.

Anyone who claims to have "it all figured out" is full of shit - doubly so if they came upon their "facts" from some moldy collection of old books, written by people who considered the world flat, the center of the universe, and created by some spooky cockknocker who thinks that women are inferior, penises need trimming, and there's some species of talking snakes........................

That's not a law.

It's just an observation.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
17-01-2016, 06:01 PM
(17-01-2016 03:23 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  A universe with a god must have a god maker Smile

Care to take a guess at who those god makers are ?

Titans? Primordials? Giant sand worms? Hucksters? Bandai?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
17-01-2016, 06:04 PM
Let's take a 6 sided dice and roll it.
Its possible that any of those faces on the 6 sided dice could appear face up.

Its possible for each face to appear face up because each face of the 6 sided dice do in fact exist.

We cannot write a gods name on any face of the dice because it has not been shown that such as being exists, therefore we cannot say "its possible"

If we discovered that 3 different gods existed and all three could shape shift into the form of a very large dragon, then when we saw a very large dragon, we could say that its possible that the dragon is either god A, god B, or god C.

I could be wrong, but I believe possibilities deal with existing materia. You cannot derive a possibility from things that have not been shown to exist.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
17-01-2016, 06:20 PM
So the proposition that there is no God can be dismissed due to lack of evidence?

Nice to know.
17-01-2016, 06:23 PM
It's a cost-benefit thing. I see no particular advantage in trying to believe in things that might exist when I can simply deal with the real world instead.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-01-2016, 06:27 PM
I'm an agnostic atheist. Checkmate, Stereotype!
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
17-01-2016, 06:36 PM
(17-01-2016 06:20 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  So the proposition that there is no God can be dismissed due to lack of evidence?

Nice to know.

Yes.

This is how it works pops. Just like there are no flying pink elephants.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
17-01-2016, 06:39 PM
(17-01-2016 06:20 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  So the proposition that there is no God can be dismissed due to lack of evidence?

Nice to know.

The claim that there is nothing that could qualify as a god requires evidence as the burden of proof applies to any claim. There is circumstantial evidence in that everything we've discovered to date operates without any god intervening but I would not call that conclusive. That's why I remain an agnostic atheist although, as somebody else posted recently, I'm agnostic about gods the way I'm agnostic about leprechauns. If You have evidence that they exist I'll look but until then there's no reason to assume that they are anything but imaginary creatures.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
17-01-2016, 07:03 PM
(17-01-2016 06:39 PM)unfogged Wrote:  

Nice to know.

The claim that there is nothing that could qualify as a god requires evidence as the burden of proof applies to any claim. There is circumstantial evidence in that everything we've discovered to date operates without any god intervening but I would not call that conclusive. That's why I remain an agnostic atheist although, as somebody else posted recently, I'm agnostic about gods the way I'm agnostic about leprechauns. If You have evidence that they exist I'll look but until then there's no reason to assume that they are anything but imaginary creatures.
I can respect that.

You say the observable things don't necessitate GOD. But the nature of all existence seems to go along some path of sorts. We can somewhat identify causes, but cannot connect all the causes or determine the reason for their nature.

Before this existence would have been what?

Beyond this existence lies what?

What binds these very physical laws we can observe?

What set all in motion?

What gave us the peculiar thing that is life among this mass void?

No, the observable is such because GOD wills it.

There is a creative/driving force.

Peace