Why get a tattoo?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2015, 06:17 AM
Why get a tattoo?
First off -- I don't have any tats.

I was a sailor, and have been a biker for over 35 years.

When I was a kid - the only people who DID get tattoos were sailors and bikers - ditto piercings. (other than women's ears).

Now it's "fashionable" to have ink and metal doo-dads hanging out of surprising parts of your body.

But, the thing I've observed about fashion -- it changes.

Soon - it'll be passe to have ink. At some point it might even become as socially acceptable as smoking in public. What then?

I feel that I was an early trend setter by NOT getting a tattoo.......

I'm thinking of investing in an "Ink Removal" store.

My advice - get in early -- while prices are low.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like onlinebiker's post
27-05-2015, 06:27 AM
RE: Why get a tattoo?
I have small apple blossoms on my inner wrist. They were designed by my daughter and rather pretty so I don't think they'll ever bother me nor do I think I'll regret them. But yes I'm sure there will be many who will regret getting them done.

But I do have many friends both male and female who have tons. They are all now in the their 40's and 50's and none of them seem to regret anything.

This made me think of this pic which I saw a while back:

[Image: oldtats.jpg]

but of course every other old bastard may well be covered in tats in years to come. Laugh out load

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
[+] 5 users Like Eva's post
27-05-2015, 06:32 AM
You'll laser my Gwynnies from my cold dead body. Now stop talking crazy talk. Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
27-05-2015, 06:52 AM
I don't trust tattoo ink. There are no studies that show they are outright harmful (although it is shown that under specific conditions they can cause slight trouble), just as there are no studies that give them clearance. My sense tells me that ink sitting under the skin, slowly breaking down and releasing the components to migrate within your body, can't be good for ya', though.
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
27-05-2015, 07:04 AM
... because bible says "no!"

That's good enough reason to get one.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
27-05-2015, 07:18 AM
Only get them in places that are easily covered, problem solved. I have tats, didn't get them because it was trendy or popular to do so. My wife and I had a habit (before we had kids) of getting tattooed any time we vacationed somewhere we'd never been before. So most of mine are small-ish pieces meant to sort of commemorate specific things. Last one I got was a small star with a banner with my first-born son's name on it. My second son was born a couple weeks ago and the wife and I are planning to get little tats in his honor too, later this summer.

I've thought about investing in a major piece, I still have significant "real estate" available on my right arm, back, and legs. But setting aside the funds is tough. I'll be 40 in 3.5 years so I'm entitled to a bit of a mid-life splurge, but for what it'd cost to get a full sleeve, or a back piece I could get myself a VERY nice guitar or take the whole family on a trip or something instead. I'm not against tattoos stylistically, I still like the ones I already have. But adorning my body as a means of self-expression is just a lower priority these days. The older I get the less I care if I look "square" or not, lol. I'm a dad and I look like one. Oh well.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
27-05-2015, 07:57 AM
Re: Why get a tattoo?
I'm happy with some of mine. I've got a few, though, that are questionable.

When I was deep into drugs I got a piece that stretches across my shoulders. The artist ground so deep (I have really thick skin) that it's not a good candidate for laser removal.

Undecided It's just huge, obvious, and there. It does send the pious running. Thankfully, I can cover it up in most situations.
27-05-2015, 08:36 AM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2015 08:47 AM by yakherder.)
(27-05-2015 06:17 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Soon - it'll be passe to have ink. At some point it might even become as socially acceptable as smoking in public.

I think the main difference is that a tattoo doesn't affect the people around you. Sure, they can choose to be offended if they want. But since I'm not a fan of the "I'm offended and you should care about it!" crowd, I consider that all the more reason to make every effort to piss them off.

That said, although I like well thought out tattoos, I've procrastinated because I'm kind of picky on what I want on me and just haven't come across the right idea yet. I think it goes without saying that it would probably be some kind of Army thing.

I have no desire to ever get a piercing or anything of that nature, however. Works fine for other people, I even like some of them. But I'm a fan of low maintenance for myself, and they're tactically inconvenient. I need to be ready for ninja zombie pirates trying to attack me at any second.

'Murican Canadian
27-05-2015, 08:42 AM
I knew well before I turned twenty that I was going to get a tattoo. I just didn't know what to get and where to put it. In the end I was in my late twenties when I finally found out what to get and where. I don't think that I'm done yet. But still think about what to get.

I don't really care about trends. I just care about how I see myself.
27-05-2015, 08:48 AM
Why?

I get them for religious purposes.

[Image: asset-1php_zps450c2cde.jpeg]
[+] 5 users Like H4ym4n's post