Why get a tattoo?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2015, 01:54 PM
RE: Why get a tattoo?
To answer the question - why get a tattoo?

Many people don't know this but when a woman has a mastectomy or a double, like I did, they also remove the nipples. What you are often left with is a large linear scar across the implant that tends to draw in and changes the shape of the fake breast.

The final part of the reconstruction I had is to have fake nipples built out of skin grafts that are later tattooed to resemble nipples.

I decided that I could come up with a more interesting tattoo at some point and the concept of fake nipples didn't appeal to me. I had had enough with major surgeries, two were enough, and didn't really want to have a third one that would leave me with four more wounds to take care of.

There are medical reasons for tattoos.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
31-05-2015, 04:02 PM
(31-05-2015 01:54 PM)Anjele Wrote:  To answer the question - why get a tattoo?

Many people don't know this but when a woman has a mastectomy or a double, like I did, they also remove the nipples. What you are often left with is a large linear scar across the implant that tends to draw in and changes the shape of the fake breast.

The final part of the reconstruction I had is to have fake nipples built out of skin grafts that are later tattooed to resemble nipples.

I decided that I could come up with a more interesting tattoo at some point and the concept of fake nipples didn't appeal to me. I had had enough with major surgeries, two were enough, and didn't really want to have a third one that would leave me with four more wounds to take care of.

There are medical reasons for tattoos.

Excellent -- a REASON -- that's the sort of thing that I was looking for...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
31-05-2015, 07:27 PM
(31-05-2015 04:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Excellent -- a REASON -- that's the sort of thing that I was looking for...

Big Grin

"I just like tattoos" is not good enough for you? I suppose all your choices, likes, dislikes, tastes and hobbies in life have been the result of strenuous contemplation and reasoning then, have they not?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 3 users Like undergroundp's post
01-06-2015, 01:20 AM
I've already decided that if I were to get a tattoo, it would be a barcode with actual data on it. All of the data would link to my favorite texts on Project Gutenberg or would include a free download of a book that you can get to your smartphone or tablet if you have a barcode reader app on your phone.

I would start with A Midsummer Night's Dream or Beyond Good and Evil.
01-06-2015, 05:05 AM
(31-05-2015 07:27 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(31-05-2015 04:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Excellent -- a REASON -- that's the sort of thing that I was looking for...

Big Grin

"I just like tattoos" is not good enough for you? I suppose all your choices, likes, dislikes, tastes and hobbies in life have been the result of strenuous contemplation and reasoning then, have they not?

Like them or not -- getting a tattoo is an act of voluntary segregation.

By getting one you put yourself at risk of discrimination. That's not my doing - it's just human nature.

Many people look at a person with tattoos and think "self destructive tendencies".

Again -- I don't set the rules -- I just see the reality of the situation.

This is acknowledged by most people -- including most people with tattoos --- why else would so many people get tattoos on body parts "that can be covered up at work"??

Those that don't acknowledge the reality - go through life pissed off -- because the rest of the world doesn't understand their "genius" in getting that swastika tattoo on their forehead...........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
01-06-2015, 07:21 AM
The tattoo I'm likely going to get will be covered by most everything but a string bikini. It has loads of personal meaning - some painful, some inspirational. I think tattoos on the left side are beautiful. The main reason for placing it where it can't be seen is because whoever did see it would be close enough to me to be worthy of an explanation.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
01-06-2015, 08:26 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2015 10:21 AM by jennybee.)
(01-06-2015 05:05 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(31-05-2015 07:27 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  "I just like tattoos" is not good enough for you? I suppose all your choices, likes, dislikes, tastes and hobbies in life have been the result of strenuous contemplation and reasoning then, have they not?

Like them or not -- getting a tattoo is an act of voluntary segregation.

By getting one you put yourself at risk of discrimination. That's not my doing - it's just human nature.

Many people look at a person with tattoos and think "self destructive tendencies".

This is acknowledged by most people -- including most people with tattoos --- why else would so many people get tattoos on body parts "that can be covered up at work"??

Those that don't acknowledge the reality - go through life pissed off -- because the rest of the world doesn't understand their "genius" in getting that swastika tattoo on their forehead...........

I do acknowledge that in some professional environments you may be discriminated against simply for having a tattoo. So if you are going to get a face tattoo--you probably should think about that if you work as say an attorney or a surgeon. In my line of work, I am willing to admit I would need to cover it since I work in a professional environment. That said, if I am out on my own time, I would like it if my tattoo was peeking out of the back of my tank top, sundress, yoga top, whatevs. I agree with you, though, you always need to weigh the consequences of *any* decision you make. Beyond a work environment (because I need a paycheck), I am not worried about assimilating into society.

As for the swastika tattoo example, I think most people would have more of a problem with its imagery than the tattoo itself. I don't think you can equate a tasteful flower tattoo to a symbol of hate.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
01-06-2015, 11:56 AM
Why ?
Cuz plastic surgeons can always use the business when you want it removed. Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
01-06-2015, 01:15 PM
(01-06-2015 05:05 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Like them or not -- getting a tattoo is an act of voluntary segregation.

An act of voluntary segregation? Well, so is dyeing your hair a specific color or wearing specific clothes (or calling yourself a biker).
People will always judge and discriminate no matter what you do, so why care about what people think and conform instead of just doing whatever the fuck you want?

I've tried being the quiet, invisible girl and I was called a freak. I tried being sexy and I was called a slut. You can't please everyone and I'm not willing to conform to a society that is retarded enough to think that tattoos=self-destruction. It's not about rebelling. It's simply about doing what I want.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post
01-06-2015, 02:59 PM
(01-06-2015 01:15 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(01-06-2015 05:05 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Like them or not -- getting a tattoo is an act of voluntary segregation.

An act of voluntary segregation? Well, so is dyeing your hair a specific color or wearing specific clothes (or calling yourself a biker).
People will always judge and discriminate no matter what you do, so why care about what people think and conform instead of just doing whatever the fuck you want?

I've tried being the quiet, invisible girl and I was called a freak. I tried being sexy and I was called a slut. You can't please everyone and I'm not willing to conform to a society that is retarded enough to think that tattoos=self-destruction. It's not about rebelling. It's simply about doing what I want.

I didn't start off calling myself a biker... Other people did....

And yes -- it brought discrimination. I've been refused service in restaurants, bars, and hotels -- simply because I had long hair, a beard and wore leather.....

The difference in tats???

I can shave my beard (and do now - the SO likes it) -- cut my hair short (ditto - and same reason) ---- I can wear different clothes -- and nobody knows my primary choice of transportation is a motorcycle.......

Tats don't come off that easy.

You're not required to conform. Few are. But, you have to be willing to live with the results of your actions and choices - because the world doesn't change for us........ It is, what it is.....

And - that includes people who don't like tattoos.

Right now - tattoos are common, and fashionable to some degree....

Some day, they won't be.

Count on it -- the more things change, the more they stay the same.....