Why get a tattoo?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2015, 03:17 PM
RE: Why get a tattoo?
(01-06-2015 02:59 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I didn't start off calling myself a biker... Other people did....

It was just an example.

(01-06-2015 02:59 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And yes -- it brought discrimination. I've been refused service in restaurants, bars, and hotels -- simply because I had long hair, a beard and wore leather.....

The difference in tats???

I can shave my beard (and do now - the SO likes it) -- cut my hair short (ditto - and same reason) ---- I can wear different clothes -- and nobody knows my primary choice of transportation is a motorcycle.......

Tats don't come off that easy.

They don't come off easily, but they're extremely easy to cover with makeup in the 21st century.

(01-06-2015 02:59 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You're not required to conform. Few are. But, you have to be willing to live with the results of your actions and choices - because the world doesn't change for us........ It is, what it is.....

And - that includes people who don't like tattoos.

Right now - tattoos are common, and fashionable to some degree....

Some day, they won't be.

Count on it -- the more things change, the more they stay the same.....

If I wasn't willing to live with the results of my actions and choices, I wouldn't want a tattoo.

And all this still doesn't mean there are no reasons to get a tattoo or that it's that binding.

If I can't find a job because of it, I will cover it with clothes or makeup (like my acne, which is also unacceptable not to cover in certain professions) and if I get tired of it in 20 or 50 years, technology will be much more advanced and cheaper by then.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
01-06-2015, 04:12 PM
(01-06-2015 03:17 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(01-06-2015 02:59 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I didn't start off calling myself a biker... Other people did....

It was just an example.

(01-06-2015 02:59 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And yes -- it brought discrimination. I've been refused service in restaurants, bars, and hotels -- simply because I had long hair, a beard and wore leather.....

The difference in tats???

I can shave my beard (and do now - the SO likes it) -- cut my hair short (ditto - and same reason) ---- I can wear different clothes -- and nobody knows my primary choice of transportation is a motorcycle.......

Tats don't come off that easy.

They don't come off easily, but they're extremely easy to cover with makeup in the 21st century.

(01-06-2015 02:59 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You're not required to conform. Few are. But, you have to be willing to live with the results of your actions and choices - because the world doesn't change for us........ It is, what it is.....

And - that includes people who don't like tattoos.

Right now - tattoos are common, and fashionable to some degree....

Some day, they won't be.

Count on it -- the more things change, the more they stay the same.....

If I wasn't willing to live with the results of my actions and choices, I wouldn't want a tattoo.

And all this still doesn't mean there are no reasons to get a tattoo or that it's that binding.

If I can't find a job because of it, I will cover it with clothes or makeup (like my acne, which is also unacceptable not to cover in certain professions) and if I get tired of it in 20 or 50 years, technology will be much more advanced and cheaper by then.

All well and good... I wish you well in your decision - and if it does make you happy - then it's worth it.....

But......

I'm willing to bet - nobody will ever hear a deathbed confession of "I wish I'd gotten that tattoo"......

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
01-06-2015, 04:25 PM
(01-06-2015 04:12 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(01-06-2015 03:17 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  It was just an example.

All well and good... I wish you well in your decision - and if it does make you happy - then it's worth it.....

But......

I'm willing to bet - nobody will ever hear a deathbed confession of "I wish I'd gotten that tattoo"......

Wink

No, but I bet they would be happy that they lived their lives on their own terms--instead of living their lives based on someone else's definition of how they should be.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
03-06-2015, 11:17 AM
(01-06-2015 04:12 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(01-06-2015 03:17 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  It was just an example.

But......

Wink
My grandmother admired my tattoos. She told me she had always wanted to get one to memorialize a long passed away sister.

I remember when her health was failing I spent a lot of time with her. One day she was commenting about my back tattoo and said "damn, I never did get that tattoo"

She passed away two weeks after making that statement.
[+] 1 user Likes ohio_drg's post
04-06-2015, 07:38 PM
3...2...1.... hit it Groucho!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
04-06-2015, 08:01 PM
(01-06-2015 01:15 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(01-06-2015 05:05 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Like them or not -- getting a tattoo is an act of voluntary segregation.

By getting one you put yourself at risk of discrimination. That's not my doing - it's just human nature.

Many people look at a person with tattoos and think "self destructive tendencies".

Again -- I don't set the rules -- I just see the reality of the situation.

This is acknowledged by most people -- including most people with tattoos --- why else would so many people get tattoos on body parts "that can be covered up at work"??

Those that don't acknowledge the reality - go through life pissed off -- because the rest of the world doesn't understand their "genius" in getting that swastika tattoo on their forehead...........

An act of voluntary segregation? Well, so is dyeing your hair a specific color or wearing specific clothes (or calling yourself a biker).
People will always judge and discriminate no matter what you do, so why care about what people think and conform instead of just doing whatever the fuck you want?

I've tried being the quiet, invisible girl and I was called a freak. I tried being sexy and I was called a slut. You can't please everyone and I'm not willing to conform to a society that is retarded enough to think that tattoos=self-destruction. It's not about rebelling. It's simply about doing what I want.

Oddly enough, I've never thought of you as a freaky slut. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-06-2015, 11:25 PM
(04-06-2015 08:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-06-2015 01:15 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  An act of voluntary segregation? Well, so is dyeing your hair a specific color or wearing specific clothes (or calling yourself a biker).
People will always judge and discriminate no matter what you do, so why care about what people think and conform instead of just doing whatever the fuck you want?

I've tried being the quiet, invisible girl and I was called a freak. I tried being sexy and I was called a slut. You can't please everyone and I'm not willing to conform to a society that is retarded enough to think that tattoos=self-destruction. It's not about rebelling. It's simply about doing what I want.

Oddly enough, I've never thought of you as a freaky slut. Consider

That's because you're an intelligent human, not a bonobo Yes
Too bad I couldn't combine the two though. I'd be the popular one in highschool Tongue

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
05-06-2015, 07:40 AM
(27-05-2015 06:17 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  First off -- I don't have any tats.

I was a sailor, and have been a biker for over 35 years.

When I was a kid - the only people who DID get tattoos were sailors and bikers - ditto piercings. (other than women's ears).

Now it's "fashionable" to have ink and metal doo-dads hanging out of surprising parts of your body.

But, the thing I've observed about fashion -- it changes.

Soon - it'll be passe to have ink. At some point it might even become as socially acceptable as smoking in public. What then?

I feel that I was an early trend setter by NOT getting a tattoo.......

I'm thinking of investing in an "Ink Removal" store.

My advice - get in early -- while prices are low.....

I've never been a sailor, never owned a bike, in fact I am pretty square. I am a Senior Officer of a multi-million pound organisation and I drive a very square Mercedes E class. I attend very square meetings with very square clients who respect the hell out of me because I'm great at what I do, and I have tattoos all up my arms. People judge me by my actions not by the marks on my skin.

I have tattoos, because I can.

Archi

"I love the term magic realism. It's about expanding how you see the world. I think we live in an age where we're just hammered to think this is what the world is. Everything's saying 'That's the world.' And it's not the world. The world is a million possible things." - TG

Salman Rushdie talks to Terry Gilliam