Why has the forums been so dead recently?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2013, 05:46 PM
RE: Why has the forums been so dead recently?
(09-07-2013 03:47 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 12:05 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Probably because the same few topics get discussed over and over and over again.

Spaghetti is no es bueno without spaghetti sauce. No

His noodly appendage hath spoken the good word.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
10-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Maybe if you offer free food...

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 2 users Like Question's post
11-07-2013, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 12:47 PM by cbb2274.)
(09-07-2013 12:05 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Probably because the same few topics get discussed over and over and over again.

I'm disappointed when I see the same old boring threads with names like Seriously, how stupid can theists gets? (I don't know if a thread exists with that title, so don't think I'm singling you out if you made it.)

I usually check for similar threads before I make a post. It takes a while, so sometimes that keeps me from posting. Sometimes the threads I like turn into a forum vets-only thing by the time I get to it. I shy away from threads full of inside jokes or threads with two or three people with 1,000+ posts just going back and forth about something unrelated to the topic. It's not too bad, but that's the reason I don't post so much.

"That's not the proof I want."
"You'll have such proof as exists. You are the only one responsible for your own wants."
- Isaac Asimov, I, Robot
11-07-2013, 02:44 PM
(11-07-2013 12:43 PM)cbb2274 Wrote:  I shy away from threads full of inside jokes or threads with two or three people with 1,000+ posts just going back and forth about something unrelated to the topic. It's not too bad, but that's the reason I don't post so much.

This. I am a contributor. I am so sorry. Weeping
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
11-07-2013, 03:18 PM
(11-07-2013 02:44 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(11-07-2013 12:43 PM)cbb2274 Wrote:  I shy away from threads full of inside jokes or threads with two or three people with 1,000+ posts just going back and forth about something unrelated to the topic. It's not too bad, but that's the reason I don't post so much.

This. I am a contributor. I am so sorry. Weeping

You positive-repped me. All is forgiven.

"That's not the proof I want."
"You'll have such proof as exists. You are the only one responsible for your own wants."
- Isaac Asimov, I, Robot
[+] 1 user Likes cbb2274's post
14-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Why has the forums been so dead recently?
I will start posting more.....

Your welcome

Drinking Beverage
[+] 3 users Like I and I's post
15-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Hi - I've been drilling into this a bit for a forthcoming video.

Quick answer is that forum activity isn't declining massively. Based on 2012's data, the number of forum posts does dip slightly during the summer months (about 48% of posts are made between April and Sept compared to 52% in Oct to Mar)

The total number of posts per month increased exponentially in early 2012, peaking at about 50,000 posts per quarter....it's stayed around 45-50k per quarter since Q3 2012 until now. The busiest month of 2013 to date was April at 19,521, but things have dropped back to steadier levels - we're on track to hit 15k in July.

The link between weather/temperature and forum activity is interesting. I'm working on that now.

In the meantime, the below shows forum activity per quarter.

[Image: maiand.jpg]

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
[+] 9 users Like Shannow's post
15-07-2013, 12:11 PM
The above graph doesn't use fiscal quarters does it?

15-07-2013, 12:17 PM
(14-07-2013 05:37 PM)I and I Wrote:  I will start posting more.....

Your welcome

Drinking Beverage

Please don't strain yourself.

Boom.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
15-07-2013, 12:44 PM
(15-07-2013 12:11 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  The above graph doesn't use fiscal quarters does it?

Dunno...calendar quarters? Divided the year into 4 quarters of 3 months each. So jan-mar, apr-jun and so forth. Q1's and 4 are slightly busier than Q2's and 3...that's the headline so far but I'm still digging into it.

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ