Why have my parents not taken steps to sue this hospital?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2016, 04:42 PM
RE: Why have my parents not taken steps to sue this hospital?
Just going off of what you put here, I would be surprised if you had a case. Please understand that it can be difficult to have insight into the situation when you're not healthy. Screaming at the top of your lungs for days is not typical, appropriate behavior for an adult, even if frustrated. Punching yourself in the face is not healthy behavior under any circumstance. These are things that make me question your insight to what happened. Physicians are very careful and specific about judging whether a person has the coacity to make medical decisions for themselves at that time - for you to be involuntarily committed a physician and a judge had enough reason to make that call. Go to medical records and request your chart - you have that right. The problem I encounter is not people being sent to psych inappropriately, but so many people that need help not receiving care because the system is so overcrowded.

I can tell you now, I don't hesitate to sedate highly agitated, aggressive, or combative patients. If you're a risk to yourself or a risk to others, I'm well within MY right to do so (nurses suffer more assaults than any profession, even more than law enforcement...and a lot of it goes unreported). And I document the shit out of it because the patient's perception of the situation is much different, and may want to sue me for it (patients threatened me with that bare minimum once a week when I worked in the emergency department...).

I'm sorry you had to go through that. Please understand that healthcare professionals do their line of work because they want to *help* others. There are a lot of people involved in a patient's care, all of whom have had ethics training. My role as a nurse is to be a patient advocate. I have multiple ways of reporting misconduct or raising awareness if a situation is inappropriate. Out of the probable 100 persons involved in your care, from doctors to nurses to aides to case managers, someone would have spoken up. False imprisonment is a big deal - I sure as hell want no part of anything like that. If I don't have grounds to stop you, I let you walk out the door - even schizophrenics off their meds, if they don't pose a present threat to themselves or others my hands are tied.

Seriously, go pull your records and read the notes. It might shed some light on the situation for you.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Nurse's post
13-05-2016, 08:34 PM
You got put in the hospital for punching a hole in the wall?

I punched a hole in a closet door one morning when I was about thirteen. My dad just knocked me upside the head a couple of times and sent me to school.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
13-05-2016, 08:46 PM
(13-05-2016 08:34 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  You got put in the hospital for punching a hole in the wall?

I punched a hole in a closet door one morning when I was about thirteen. My dad just knocked me upside the head a couple of times and sent me to school.

My parents are retarded, what can I say.