Why hell doesn't work as punishment?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Why hell doesn't work as punishment?
We all know that fundamentalists use hell as an instrument of fear to keep people from leaving religion. This is my rebuttal, let's assume they are correct and hell really exists. Even that will not work as punishment system, why? Because how may people will go there? Let's say half of human population that is 3.5 billion people. Do you really think those 3.5 billion will just accept that and will not rebel against whoever manages hell? People are good in organizing ourselves against any common enemy - we all hate oppressive regime in thereal world. Heck, a 3.5 billion rebels in hell will topple whoever rules there.

What do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2014, 12:32 PM
RE: Why hell doesn't work as punishment?
Well... hell doesn't work as a punishment because there is no such thing as:
A.) Hell
B.) An after life
C.) A fantasy world (like Star Trek) connecting all of humanity, only it's real
D.) All of the above

I'm going with D. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
29-05-2014, 12:41 PM
It wouldn't be 3.5 billion. Remember, people have supposedly been going there for thousands of years. If it was real, the number would be much higher.

Anyway, I think the general idea is supposed to be that you'd be in too much pain to really plan anything. Which is kind of stupid in its own right.
29-05-2014, 12:43 PM
(29-05-2014 12:32 PM)kim Wrote:  Well... hell doesn't work as a punishment because there is no such thing as:
A.) Hell
B.) An after life
C.) A fantasy world (like Star Trek) connecting all of humanity, only it's real
D.) All of the above

I'm going with D. Shy

I'm trying to use logical deduction, let's say hell exists. But with even that scenario it just won't work -- that means the so-called God is one big failure in the planning stages of creating a hell.

People are good at organizing themselves against a ruling dictator, those that go to hell will not allow themselves to be punished forever -- they will organize and cease control, toppling whoever runs the hell show.

lol
[+] 1 user Likes sanmayl's post
29-05-2014, 12:48 PM
(29-05-2014 12:41 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  It wouldn't be 3.5 billion. Remember, people have supposedly been going there for thousands of years. If it was real, the number would be much higher.

Anyway, I think the general idea is supposed to be that you'd be in too much pain to really plan anything. Which is kind of stupid in its own right.

But how many devils are watching-over and manages hell?? Those theist have to explain a lot. Since even if hell exists and devils exists, they will surely get outnumbered by the people that are thrown there.

Pure numbers win any rebellion, human history proves this. Heck, even the recent Arab Springs is a live evidence how strong people when they organize themselves against a represive regime.

Remember, hell is apparently eternal hell fire. Where your body should grow-back to normal and reburn again and again. Heck, that means you're immortal - the rebellion can topple the devil leader that runs the hell. lol. I imagine it might turn the tables where the devils that will be burned forever under the human leaders that rebelled against them....lol
29-05-2014, 01:17 PM
It doesn't work because members of my religion are removed from hell and taken away to their personal paradise. For our gold & platinum level members you can designate one person that you believe is in heaven and our special agents will wisk that person away to hell on your behalf.

Join today Smile

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
29-05-2014, 01:24 PM
If hell was real, then it's supposed to be an inescapable lake of fire. It wouldn't matter if the devil and demons were overthrown, it would still be an eternity of burning. But to say it does or does not "work as punishment" seems odd to me anyway. That sounds like the intent is to improve or deter bad behavior which is obviously moot in hell. So I assume you must mean the punishment would not work because it would be escapable, but by definition that's ruled out as a possibility.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
29-05-2014, 01:24 PM
(29-05-2014 01:17 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  It doesn't work because members of my religion are removed from hell and taken away to their personal paradise. For our gold & platinum level members you can designate one person that you believe is in heaven and our special agents will wisk that person away to hell on your behalf.

Join today Smile

I'll join if your religion meets my demand, if you can make me a tax-free person I'll join no doubtTongue
[+] 1 user Likes sanmayl's post
29-05-2014, 01:28 PM
(29-05-2014 01:17 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  It doesn't work because members of my religion are removed from hell and taken away to their personal paradise. For our gold & platinum level members you can designate one person that you believe is in heaven and our special agents will wisk that person away to hell on your behalf.

Join today Smile

I only have 2 dollars, what membership do I get for that ? and is there free Koolaide Huh

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
29-05-2014, 01:30 PM
(29-05-2014 01:24 PM)Impulse Wrote:  If hell was real, then it's supposed to be an inescapable lake of fire. It wouldn't matter if the devil and demons were overthrown, it would still be an eternity of burning. But to say it does or does not "work as punishment" seems odd to me anyway. That sounds like the intent is to improve or deter bad behavior which is obviously moot in hell. So I assume you must mean the punishment would not work because it would be escapable, but by definition that's ruled out as a possibility.

If there is a way to enter, surely there is a way to get out. Because through logical deduction, if the former is valid the latter should also be valid. An entrace can be used as exit, and exit can also be used as the entrance.