Why hell doesn't work as punishment?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2014, 05:58 AM
RE: Why hell doesn't work as punishment?
There's a movie called Hellbound on Netflix right now that discusses the doctrine of hell. It's very interesting. It's told from a Christian perspective but still worth a watch. It talks about the three different main schools of hell doctrine: eternal conscious torment for some vs heaven for the elect, annihilation for some vs heaven, and universalism where everyone eventually gets saved. The last falls in line with the Catholic doctrine of purgatory, each soul is ultimately holy and good and simply needs cleansing before receiving God. These views come up out of the need for Christians to justify a God who is just and good with one who would send people to Hell.

Hell is one of those doctrines which I find repellant (along with the doctrine of sin putting up an unreasonable standard and the idea of vicarious punishment and redemption). Christians will claim that Hell is justice for those who are wicked. The same people will claim that Hell is eternal conscious torment. But this cannot be justice. Justice is EQUAL PAYMENT. I have thought for a very long time and can think of no crime which would require eternal torment as equal payment. I have yet to be given one example by a believer. The most common answer is that by rejecting God I have earned it. Stop and think for a second. I, a fairly good and decent person, have earned eternal conscious torment because I didn't believe in something that I could not see, hear, feel, smell, or in any other way detect and for which there was no evidence at all. How is this fair? (Cue the "life's not fair" chorus from believers, to which the response is that it's also not just, and their claim of a just God goes out the window too.)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2014, 06:06 AM
No need to over think it. This is simple really. If I, as a non believer, die and then discover there is a god, I will automatically believe.

So how could I then be punished for being an atheist?

"You exist! Sure you can be my personal savior."

Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
30-05-2014, 06:11 AM
(29-05-2014 12:32 PM)kim Wrote:  Well... hell doesn't work as a punishment because there is no such thing as:
A.) Hell
B.) An after life
C.) A fantasy world (like Star Trek) connecting all of humanity, only it's real
D.) All of the above

I'm going with D. Shy
30-05-2014, 06:14 AM
Star Trek isn't real??? Shocking

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
30-05-2014, 06:15 AM
(30-05-2014 06:11 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(29-05-2014 12:32 PM)kim Wrote:  Well... hell doesn't work as a punishment because there is no such thing as:
A.) Hell
B.) An after life
C.) A fantasy world (like Star Trek) connecting all of humanity, only it's real
D.) All of the above

I'm going with D. Shy

I'm confused. Is Star Trek real or not?
30-05-2014, 06:16 AM
(30-05-2014 06:14 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Star Trek isn't real??? Shocking

Yeah I never got that reply from Starfleet Academy either...
30-05-2014, 06:18 AM
I'm shattered. Weeping No

Banjo.
30-05-2014, 07:30 AM
(29-05-2014 02:41 PM)sanmayl Wrote:  If there is a way to enter something, that same passage can be used for exiting it.

Not necessarily. Non-lethal mouse traps exist that allow a mouse to pass through one way, but not another. The valves in your veins allow blood to pass through toward your heart, but keep it from flowing backward. One way mirrors allow light to pass through one way, but prevent most of it from passing the other way.

Granted, any of these things could be altered to allow two-way passage, but one-way passages do exist.
30-05-2014, 07:33 AM
I realise that this may be entirely subjective, but for some people hell exists, hell is real, although they call it Earth (or whatever they call this planet in their language). Some people are punished daily with pains of hunger and disease.

Regarding the thread's topic, I'd say hell doesn't work as a punishment because increasingly less people buy it. Hell seems to have worked as a deterrent centuries ago, when our collective ignorance about the universe out there was much larger than it is today. Today, even many people who believe in an abstract creator/legislator of the universe seem to view hell as a literary figure.

I think the whole idea of punishing others for not behaving as one commands is sick.
30-05-2014, 07:35 AM
(29-05-2014 01:30 PM)sanmayl Wrote:  
(29-05-2014 01:24 PM)Impulse Wrote:  If hell was real, then it's supposed to be an inescapable lake of fire. It wouldn't matter if the devil and demons were overthrown, it would still be an eternity of burning. But to say it does or does not "work as punishment" seems odd to me anyway. That sounds like the intent is to improve or deter bad behavior which is obviously moot in hell. So I assume you must mean the punishment would not work because it would be escapable, but by definition that's ruled out as a possibility.

If there is a way to enter, surely there is a way to get out. Because through logical deduction, if the former is valid the latter should also be valid. An entrace can be used as exit, and exit can also be used as the entrance.

[Image: Notanexit.jpg]

Well damn...

Atir aissom atir imon