Why i think i'm an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2010, 07:32 AM

Why i think i'm an atheist
Hi. newcomer here.

I grew up in a family with almost no connection to church.
when i write almost i mean everyone i my family are baptised and confirmed (and married). But noone would go to church for forgiveness or pray if someone "needed" it.

My life was full of knowledge. My father has always been my inspiration and once said: Don't turn to god with questions.. look in to yourself for answers.
When he said that i was 14 and about to be confirmed. All i can say is i did it for the party and the presents.

A few years ago i met a guy who was "studying" theology and he really convinced me that I was an atheist. Not that i didn't believe but just didn't believe in God.

My ideology is: You only have one life, make sure you and the ones you love have a good one
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2010, 08:03 AM
RE: Why i think i'm an atheist
Welcome, AkindWord! Glad to have you with us.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2010, 11:13 AM
RE: Why i think i'm an atheist
Welcome. It's somewhat difficult to identify a religious belief when the person in question doesn't practice any religion. Doesn't mean atheism, usually it points more to deism. But anyway, I usually just identify them as whatever they identify themselves as.

Anyway, hopefully you can express thoughts freely and gain a sense you're not alone. Sadly, atheists tend to be few and far between, so many of us tend to feel isolated.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply