Why is Crazy a Good Excuse?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2015, 08:26 AM
Why is Crazy a Good Excuse?
Sometimes I wonder - why has our society decided that insanity is a defense against capital crimes?

Like the latest shooting in Colorado --- you can bet that the defense attorney is going to enter a plea of "diminished capacity" - to keep this guy off death row.

So why is crazy a defense?

I've known lots of crazy people over the years - and even as batshit crazy as some of them are - they still know it's a really bad idea to go about snuffing the neighbors.

Why just crazy??? What about stupid???? Why can't you use stupid as a defense.... "Sorry your Honor, my client is too stupid to stand trial"....

What about lazy??? Procrastinators??? Anti Social????

Fuck that... I say if you're able to go through all the complexities of killing people, and it's not as easy as you might think.... Getting the weapons, getting ammunition, driving to your destination -- are all reasonably complex operations and show you're able to function....

So if you can kill people -- we should be able to legally execute you. IN fact -- if you claim crazy as a defense -- I think that should give the state the right to execute you in an entertaining way. After being convicted they take you to death row to hook your nuts up to the 220V outlet and throw the switch..

None of this mamby pamby "lethal injection" for you crazy fuckers......

Drawn and quartered with monster trucks in the Astrodome for you..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
01-12-2015, 08:58 AM
RE: Why is Crazy a Good Excuse?
Similar reasoning as in the thread regarding people being fated to die. We like to believe life is fair, and we make adjustments to present this illusion to ourselves. Somehow decisions made by people we'd define as crazy are seen as being not the product of free will, and therefore not their fault, while the decisions made by those of us society would define as normal are seen as being completely voluntary. This despite the fact that everything we do, regardless of our mental state, is merely the result of a biochemical process.

So as with many other irrational things, it isn't so much for the accused that we allow claims of insanity, but to protect our own sense of hope by propagating the illusion that, for most of us, life is fair and that if you make the right choices, good things are all but guaranteed to happen, and vice versa.

I'd rather look at it in terms of cause/effect. Regardless of which is fair or not, what is the most practical way to achieve the desired result? If punishing crazy people reduces the chance that they will commit crimes and is perceived as fair by the normal people, thereby reinforcing their belief that they are in control of their fates and thus creating a biochemical context in which they "choose" not to commit crime out of fear of punishment, then punish the shit out of the fruitcakes. If being lenient on them due to their perceived inability to apply the concept of free will reduces overall crime or produces some other unrelated psychological benefit, even if it's as simple as allowing us to feel better about ourselves regardless of crime rates, to the extent that we deem it to be the preferred end result, then be lenient on them.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
01-12-2015, 09:00 AM
(01-12-2015 08:26 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  So if you can kill people -- we should be able to legally execute you. IN fact -- if you claim crazy as a defense -- I think that should give the state the right to execute you in an entertaining way. After being convicted they take you to death row to hook your nuts up to the 220V outlet and throw the switch..

I'd be content with something along the lines of The Running Man.

'Murican Canadian
01-12-2015, 09:08 AM
Personally, I think executing someone for killing someone else is crazy.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
01-12-2015, 09:10 AM
It might be crazy - but it seriously cuts down on repeat offending....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
01-12-2015, 09:11 AM
Yeah, but if any of those twisted fucks won the Thunderdome or Running Man, they would be heralded. I prefer it to be like the movie No Escape.

01-12-2015, 09:11 AM
(01-12-2015 08:26 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Sometimes I wonder - why has our society decided that insanity is a defense against capital crimes?

Like the latest shooting in Colorado --- you can bet that the defense attorney is going to enter a plea of "diminished capacity" - to keep this guy off death row.

So why is crazy a defense?

I've known lots of crazy people over the years - and even as batshit crazy as some of them are - they still know it's a really bad idea to go about snuffing the neighbors.

Why just crazy??? What about stupid???? Why can't you use stupid as a defense.... "Sorry your Honor, my client is too stupid to stand trial"....

What about lazy??? Procrastinators??? Anti Social????

Fuck that... I say if you're able to go through all the complexities of killing people, and it's not as easy as you might think.... Getting the weapons, getting ammunition, driving to your destination -- are all reasonably complex operations and show you're able to function....

So if you can kill people -- we should be able to legally execute you. IN fact -- if you claim crazy as a defense -- I think that should give the state the right to execute you in an entertaining way. After being convicted they take you to death row to hook your nuts up to the 220V outlet and throw the switch..

'Crazy' as a defense is rooted in the idea of lack of responsibility for one's actions.

I believe that the bar was once set much higher for insanity - it had to be pretty obvious. People like Jeffrey Dahmer or Charles Manson fit that bill.

These people were genuinely insane.

However, that does not get them off the hook, just that the sentencing must take that into account; life in a locked ward as opposed to life in prison.

I would classify anyone who murders innocent people in the name of religion as insane.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-12-2015, 09:12 AM
(01-12-2015 09:10 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It might be crazy - but it seriously cuts down on repeat offending....

The prison system is also overflowing. We had a problem with that here in CA.
01-12-2015, 09:14 AM
(01-12-2015 09:08 AM)bemore Wrote:  Personally, I think executing someone for killing someone else is crazy.

If I had to pick a stance, I'd say I'm against the death penalty for reasons of cause/effect. I don't believe statistics show it moves towards the intended goal. At worst, it moves farther away from it. At best, it's a big waste of taxpayer money.

Ethically, I don't care. The concept of removing people from this world, I'm good with. The system we necessarily have to have in place to do so in an organized manner within the boundaries of law, however, makes doing so impractical.

'Murican Canadian
01-12-2015, 09:15 AM
(01-12-2015 09:10 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It might be crazy - but it seriously cuts down on repeat offending....

I guess if you only have a 1 time policy for executioners.

For some sociopaths their thoughts on the matter aren't going to be so clear, I think the defense needs a large reworking through medical fields lenses a bit to examine a far better claim that "insanity" in some blanket case unless they are willing to just take the court decision on that factor as a good enough claim.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson