Why is Crazy a Good Excuse?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2015, 05:02 PM
RE: Why is Crazy a Good Excuse?
(01-12-2015 04:24 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(01-12-2015 01:46 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  By the way, SYZ, state of mind is an ELEMENT of most crimes. If the defendant doesn't have the proper state of mind [mens rea] there is no crime.

I take your point, but in a Utopian world, the perpetrator's state of mind wouldn't enter into the guilt v. innocent equation. The actuality of the crime is the death of the child or the rape of the woman. Whether or not you're high on drugs or clinically depressed doesn't make your victims any less deader, or less sexually violated.

As the English dramatist George Chapman wrote: "Ere he shall lose an eye for such a trifle... For doing deeds of nature! I'm ashamed. The law is such an ass." (It's the stupidly rigid application of the law that this phrase calls into question.)

The English no longer have the death penalty.

Plenty of potatos though. Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
01-12-2015, 05:14 PM
(01-12-2015 03:20 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(01-12-2015 08:26 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Sometimes I wonder - why has our society decided that insanity is a defense against capital crimes?

Like the latest shooting in Colorado --- you can bet that the defense attorney is going to enter a plea of "diminished capacity" - to keep this guy off death row.

So why is crazy a defense?

I've known lots of crazy people over the years - and even as batshit crazy as some of them are - they still know it's a really bad idea to go about snuffing the neighbors.

Why just crazy??? What about stupid???? Why can't you use stupid as a defense.... "Sorry your Honor, my client is too stupid to stand trial"....

What about lazy??? Procrastinators??? Anti Social????

Fuck that... I say if you're able to go through all the complexities of killing people, and it's not as easy as you might think.... Getting the weapons, getting ammunition, driving to your destination -- are all reasonably complex operations and show you're able to function....

So if you can kill people -- we should be able to legally execute you. IN fact -- if you claim crazy as a defense -- I think that should give the state the right to execute you in an entertaining way. After being convicted they take you to death row to hook your nuts up to the 220V outlet and throw the switch..

None of this mamby pamby "lethal injection" for you crazy fuckers......

Drawn and quartered with monster trucks in the Astrodome for you..

State murder is still murder.

Is not it time America joined the Civilised world???

If by civilized you are referring to post civilization society, I'd say one of its defining characteristics is the incorporation of institutionalized violence. If by civilized world you mean simply the non violent world (i.e. the polar opposite of the civilized world), we're working on it, and hope to have people on Mars before too long Smile

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
02-12-2015, 12:52 AM
Well we just throw them in a nut house. It like jail but without them being raped or shanked or both.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
02-12-2015, 01:32 AM
(01-12-2015 04:59 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(01-12-2015 04:56 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:   (Toe-maaaah-toe. Let's call the whole thing off.)

And it's Po Tay Toe not Po Tah Toe. Smile

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-12-2015, 01:55 AM
Try viewing it as an explanation instead of an excuse. When brains are screwed up enough, how much control people have over their behavior becomes very debatable.

Blog: http://141min.tumblr.com/
[+] 3 users Like wallym's post
02-12-2015, 02:11 AM
(02-12-2015 01:55 AM)wallym Wrote:  Try viewing it as an explanation instead of an excuse. When brains are screwed up enough, how much control people have over their behavior becomes very debatable.

I can verify this. It happened when i first got on the test. I became someone else. Total personality change. There is evidence in my thread from last July.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
03-12-2015, 10:09 PM
(01-12-2015 08:26 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Sometimes I wonder - why has our society decided that insanity is a defense against capital crimes?

Like the latest shooting in Colorado --- you can bet that the defense attorney is going to enter a plea of "diminished capacity" - to keep this guy off death row.

So why is crazy a defense?

I've known lots of crazy people over the years - and even as batshit crazy as some of them are - they still know it's a really bad idea to go about snuffing the neighbors.

Why just crazy??? What about stupid???? Why can't you use stupid as a defense.... "Sorry your Honor, my client is too stupid to stand trial"....

What about lazy??? Procrastinators??? Anti Social????

Fuck that... I say if you're able to go through all the complexities of killing people, and it's not as easy as you might think.... Getting the weapons, getting ammunition, driving to your destination -- are all reasonably complex operations and show you're able to function....

So if you can kill people -- we should be able to legally execute you. IN fact -- if you claim crazy as a defense -- I think that should give the state the right to execute you in an entertaining way. After being convicted they take you to death row to hook your nuts up to the 220V outlet and throw the switch..

None of this mamby pamby "lethal injection" for you crazy fuckers......

Drawn and quartered with monster trucks in the Astrodome for you..

Legal insanity is not the same thing as crazy. We convict crazy people all the time. Legal insanity has to do with one's capacity to understand that the crime they committed was in fact a crime and wrong to commit.

The points you make about the planning someone does in order to commit a crime are relevant if someone claims the crime was committed in heat of passion, and they were in such a state that they were temporarily insane. The more planning done, the more it would reason that there was no heat of passion limiting one's ability to control their own actions.
04-12-2015, 09:04 PM
(02-12-2015 01:32 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-12-2015 04:59 PM)Banjo Wrote:  And it's Po Tay Toe not Po Tah Toe. Smile

Reminded me of an oldie (in web video terms):

09-12-2015, 05:00 PM
(01-12-2015 08:26 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Why just crazy??? What about stupid???? Why can't you use stupid as a defense.... "Sorry your Honor, my client is too stupid to stand trial"....

Unless you get these guys for lawyers.
https://youtu.be/kn200lvmTZc
09-12-2015, 09:09 PM
Being insane doesn't exonerate you for the crime you committed. It changes the way we are going to treat you for committing it. A murderer will go to prison for very long amount of time where very little thing will be done to make him a safe and productive member of the society again. An insane murderer will be sent to psychiatric institution for a very long amount of time where lots of energy will be spent in an attempt to make him a safe and productive member of the society again. Insanity plea don't innocent you, they remove your criminal responsibility. It’s not exactly the same thing. It exist because we thought at some point that different kinds of criminal should have different kinds of treatments. In my point of view, it makes perfect sense. The way different justice system treat those plea sometime doesn't, but that's another debate.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.