Why is a scientific theory called a theory?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Why is a scientific theory called a theory?
Its properly a question some decent google fu could answer (but i was never that strong in my google fu).
Oh just for the record i know a scientific theory isn´t just a "Theory" thats not the question here.
Anyways my question is what is the reason a scientist around the world decided to use the word theory, to describe it when their hypothesis has passed the gauntlet of tests and graduated to become a full blown theory.

I could imagine it might be something along the lines that a Theory isn´t something set in stone and if the facts that make up the theory changes, so does the Theory.

But that´s just a guess, so anyone in here know when and why scientist started to use the word Theory to describe their results?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2014, 03:48 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2014 03:55 PM by DLJ.)
RE: Why is a scientific theory called a theory?
It's what you get when you take the Cafia (CaC) out of THEOCRACY!

Big Grin

Type ... theory etymology ... into Google and all will be revealed.

It comes from the Greek for 'speculation'

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
04-01-2014, 04:34 PM
[Image: img1.gif]

The Scientific method

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
[+] 1 user Likes Caveman's post
04-01-2014, 04:49 PM
(04-01-2014 03:45 PM)Erikjust Wrote:  Its properly a question some decent google fu could answer (but i was never that strong in my google fu).
Oh just for the record i know a scientific theory isn´t just a "Theory" thats not the question here.
Anyways my question is what is the reason a scientist around the world decided to use the word theory, to describe it when their hypothesis has passed the gauntlet of tests and graduated to become a full blown theory.

I could imagine it might be something along the lines that a Theory isn´t something set in stone and if the facts that make up the theory changes, so does the Theory.

But that´s just a guess, so anyone in here know when and why scientist started to use the word Theory to describe their results?
Because the meaning of the word "theory" accurately describes what scientist wanted to describe by using it?

I believe the word itself comes from "theoria" which means "contemplation" in Greek

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
04-01-2014, 05:03 PM
I would venture a guess that the layman's use of the word is the bastardization of the real meaning of the word. Scientists use theory properly, while the everyday use of the word is colloquial and/or slang.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
04-01-2014, 09:27 PM
I think DLJ and Caveman pretty much should have answered your question.

BTW, what's your ideas if you want to supplant the "theory" word in "scientific theory" ?

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post
04-01-2014, 09:35 PM
as you can see:

Quote:the·o·ry (th-r, thîr)

n. pl. the·o·ries

1. A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena.

2. The branch of a science or art consisting of its explanatory statements, accepted principles, and methods of analysis, as opposed to practice: a fine musician who had never studied theory.

3. A set of theorems that constitute a systematic view of a branch of mathematics.

4. Abstract reasoning; speculation: a decision based on experience rather than theory.

5. A belief or principle that guides action or assists comprehension or judgment: staked out the house on the theory that criminals usually return to the scene of the crime.

6. An assumption based on limited information or knowledge; a conjecture.

simply picking up a dictonary would have answered your question

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
04-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Who is using the word "theory" correctly? We in everyday language or the scientists?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
04-01-2014, 10:18 PM
Theory evolved over time. You'll notice the weaker, watered down version comes at the end of the list of definitions. No one is using it incorrectly, but the question of why would scientists use theory was the OP, meaning shouldn't they have used a better word when in fact this is the perfect word.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2014, 05:48 AM
Why is a scientific tractor called a tractor ?

'Cos it's attractive Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.