Why is america so christian?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Why is america so christian?
Hello fellow atheists!

I am a 23-year old ex-christian from Denmark, about to write an assignment with this paradox (i'm paraphrasing here):

The discoveries (modern biology, evolution, technological advancement etc) of the last 200 years or so, have led to a departure from the traditional christian faith in most of europe and especially in scandinavia. The development has been far from the same in the US. Why?

I would like you to write a short reply in which you describe why YOU think that people in the US have stuck with christianity much more than people in europe.

Thanks in advance
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2011, 03:22 PM
RE: Why is america so christian?
Andy, we've gone through several periods where religious fever rises and lowers. Normally, the worse the economy, the more people turn to religion. The exception to that rule was prohibition and the roaring 20s. Repeal may have actually made the depression more bearable...

We are suffering the hangover of religion from the Cold War (in my opinion). During the Cold War, America needed God on it's side to stand in stark contrast to the Soviets. With the election of Ronald Reagan in 1980, it ushered in an era of religious zealots into the political forum that continues to exist today.

Why I consider it a hangover is that the number of Nones in America continues to grow, standing now at 1 out of 6. There are some charts I included in the last thread I started that might help on that.

Anyway, one guys opinion...Smile

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
26-04-2011, 03:24 PM
It's mainly the separation of church and state. Most Scandinavian states have national churches. The United States has none. Because of this the Christian church and it's many sects are able to spread and multiply because the state had no influence.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like The Doctor's post
26-04-2011, 05:55 PM

Why is the #1 most populace faith on the entire earth, Christianity?
It happens when campaigns involving annihilation of the religious competition ensue. The, "convert , be assimilated, or die Borg paradigm", if you will.

America's founding father's weren't all Christian. They were Deists, some were atheists, some were Christian but not zealots. It happens, when one secures freedom of religion in the first Amendment of the new hope, America, that that doesn't necessarily mean a nation is free from the religious.
Especially when some of the first people, not founders, were Puritans. And a New Testament admonishes no matter where the Christian finds themselves, they must go forth and spread the "good news". (Gospel)
We're predominantly Christian today, because of generational programming that ensues amid the sects. Though things are changing and that, as to be expected, scares those who staunchly envision America as having always been a Christian nation.
We're making strides,and yet as long as tradition with regard to the Administrative branch of power dictates one must be Christian in order to stand a chance, when that's not the law at all, we'll have hurdles to overcome.

That is until the first atheist win's a November!Wink After that, the leadership will begin. Or the assassination. None are so overtly violent than those who worship a God of love while believing murder is a sacrament made necessary so the sacrifice ensues Deific sectarian dominion. Confused
Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2011, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2011 06:12 PM by Snuff.)
America was founded on the freedom of religion but if you look into our history we had a large amount of Irish and other immigrants from Europe which in those times were very religious. Now since the majority of our population is Irish and German whom brought the Christian faith which is now rooted into the United States as along with African-Americans whom are also highly religious too. A lot of it has to do with people afraid of dying and now knowing why were here... and they just don't ask questions they simply believe in the Bible and a God. Religion in America is forced down your throat especially in the south, even at schools they still prey even though they are not supposed to... since the majority of people in the south are Christian they don't have a problem with it and no one asks or questions the "God"... Maybe religion could learn something from science? Adapt to an ever changing environment perhaps, that way non-believers wouldn't be the fastest growing position in America. Our government also wanted to show a separation from Communism whom they portrayed as Godless people so there they scared the American citizens into believing and it just caused a huge tidal wave of Christianity across the country.
26-04-2011, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2011 06:24 PM by Monk.)
This country is just stupid. A majority of people think the earth is bigger than the sun. Most people don't even know where certain states are, or certain countries. I am actually shocked that there are neighbors of mine who think the earth is 6,000 years old.

Then there's people who say this is a christian nation, which it is to a point, and non christians cannot be a leader of this country.

America is a young country compared to most of Europe though, we're going through a mild version of the church runs everything. Give it some time, the rationalists are starting to grow.

I just don't want ID or any nonsense taught in public schools.
[+] 1 user Likes Monk's post
27-04-2011, 12:10 AM

I really think it is the fact the being a christian is easy. You accept jesus as your personal savior and bam... straight to heaven. Americans are, for the most part, lazy and greedy. You don't have to do much in christianity to be saved and it's really easy to reap the benefits of it. Fuck up all you want and you still go to heaven just by asking for forgiveness. Also, it is easy to just accept the bible as being true, anytime someone offers up scientific evidence, pull the faith card and you are untouchable. No scientific argument can trump faith in the eyes of a christian.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes m80kamikaze's post
27-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Also Christians drive the hell path into your mind that it scares the poor children into it!
[+] 1 user Likes Snuff's post
27-04-2011, 12:45 AM
Most kids at the age of 6 don't want to go to church on a sunday. They want to play with their friends. Only after years of forcing kids to go, do they start believing in nonsense. Look at North Korea. Their children are taught that their supreme leader is god, and they /believe/ it down the road.
27-04-2011, 01:04 AM
@TheDoctor I think its more like the churches have to actually fight for the majority and power rather than one taking power and never having to bother.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire