Why is america so christian?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-04-2011, 01:39 AM
RE: Why is america so christian?
(27-04-2011 12:45 AM)Monk Wrote:  Most kids at the age of 6 don't want to go to church on a sunday. They want to play with their friends. Only after years of forcing kids to go, do they start believing in nonsense. Look at North Korea. Their children are taught that their supreme leader is god, and they /believe/ it down the road.

I agree with you 100% because when I was forced to go to church I hated it and once I told my parents I was an Atheist... down the road my stepmother whom is religious started enforcing us going to church and they even made me. I was about 13-14 and I couldn't stand it and even my dad who is a Christian respects my views but then he was whipped by my step mother and I couldn't stand her because of it. To this day when me, my brother, and father discuss religion she tells me I'm going to burn in hell... I'm just like yea okay. She doesn't say much when my brother is discussing it because he is highly intelligent and can put any religious believer in their place and cause them to question their own faith.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2011, 05:50 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone, there is definitely a lot of stuff i can use in there.

I've been considering that it might be linked to the political tradition aswell. For example, in Denmark we pay about 40% in taxes and in return we get free medical care, free schools, free roads etcetc (Norway and Sweden have similar systems). And those 3 countries just so happen to be some of the least religious places in the world.

My point is that maybe, when you live in a society that will bail you out if you get into financial/medical trouble, you don't need god as much?
[+] 2 users Like Andy's post
27-04-2011, 06:22 AM
(27-04-2011 05:50 AM)Andy Wrote:  Thanks for the replies everyone, there is definitely a lot of stuff i can use in there.

I've been considering that it might be linked to the political tradition aswell. For example, in Denmark we pay about 40% in taxes and in return we get free medical care, free schools, free roads etcetc (Norway and Sweden have similar systems). And those 3 countries just so happen to be some of the least religious places in the world.

My point is that maybe, when you live in a society that will bail you out if you get into financial/medical trouble, you don't need god as much?

I envy you. In America, the people don't have a say in what goes on. I am middle class. I am single. I have no kids. Our education system is awful. Our country is ran by companies and lobbyists. We have 25% of the worlds prison population. Our police departments are ran like the Nazis. I got pulled over for speeding and the cop was screaming at me, and treated me like a 2nd class citizen.

A deadbead on the other side of town with 3 or 4 kids that works barely enough to do anything (or work at all) gets more meal tickets, free rides than me.
27-04-2011, 09:55 AM
(27-04-2011 05:50 AM)Andy Wrote:  Thanks for the replies everyone, there is definitely a lot of stuff i can use in there.

That's the same sort of situation here in Canada, too. Though I don't think we're as well off as the Nordic countries, we're still fairly secular.

I think that some people hit it on the nose when they said that the resurgence of religion in the States was due to the Cold War. I mean, people in the States are still calling healthcare "communist" o.0 There's a paranoia about anything possibly Soviet, and that includes non-religion/atheism (though Russia's had a recent resurgence of Orthodox Christianity).

But I think that ultimately, education is tied to both the above factors. A welfare country, such as Denmark, ensures that all its citizens are on a fairly even playing field. Thus, everybody has equal access to post-secondary education. However, in a country like the US, there is a huge disparity between the absurdly wealthy and the extreme poor; thus, proper education is not available to everybody there. The more educated someone is, the more likely are they to reject the Bible and religion (obviously there are exceptions to this, but this is the general trend). That could be why there is a growing dichotomy in the States between extremely religious groups and non-religious (even anti-theist) groups.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
[+] 2 users Like SecularStudent's post
27-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Yea in a previous post I brought up the "Cold War" issue because our country didn't adopt "In God We Trust" until the cold war era which is what I don't understand... How can we still have that motto if we are supposed to have separation of church and state? This was just our ignorance to try and separate us from communist states as I said before and a lot of morons in the United States actually think the U.S. motto was In God We Trust since this nation was founded... how ignorant and dumbfounded they are. If only half of Americans could at last contain our common sense, how many things work and at least know history and timelines. If Google wasn't available I would put a poll up on Facebook asking everyone about the origin of the motto. Although I'm sure a lot of ignorant Christians may answer; Because this is a Christian nation!
[+] 1 user Likes Snuff's post
27-04-2011, 02:33 PM
(27-04-2011 10:05 AM)Snuff Wrote:  Yea in a previous post I brought up the "Cold War" issue because our country didn't adopt "In God We Trust" until the cold war era which is what I don't understand... How can we still have that motto if we are supposed to have separation of church and state? This was just our ignorance to try and separate us from communist states as I said before and a lot of morons in the United States actually think the U.S. motto was In God We Trust since this nation was founded... how ignorant and dumbfounded they are. If only half of Americans could at last contain our common sense, how many things work and at least know history and timelines. If Google wasn't available I would put a poll up on Facebook asking everyone about the origin of the motto. Although I'm sure a lot of ignorant Christians may answer; Because this is a Christian nation!

What I hear a lot IRL is "It's freedom of religion, not freedom from religion". Basically all beliefs are welcome as long as your not a filthy atheist.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
[+] 1 user Likes ashley.hunt60's post
27-04-2011, 02:56 PM

(27-04-2011 02:33 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  What I hear a lot IRL is "It's freedom of religion, not freedom from religion". Basically all beliefs are welcome as long as your not a filthy atheist.
Interestingly enough I think it was last year, a pastor being interviewed on one of the right wing cable news channels said the same thing. That freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion. As he then went on to say Christians are under siege in this country as it appears there is now a war against Christianity in the secular realm wherein there is a clear and present danger of oppression of Christian rights in this country. Thereby threatening the basic foundation of her founding.

And don't forget dear old Mormon Mitt Romney and his quotes (below) in December of 2007 and his perception of the religion of Secularism. Gad's, and to think there's talk that he's considering a rerun in 2012. Rolleyes Nothing speaks leadership like rhetoric attacking his perceived anti-Mormon bigotry, utilizing anti-atheism bigotry!

"We separate church and state affairs in this country, and for good reason. No religion should dictate to the state nor should the state interfere with the free practice of religion. But in recent years, the notion of the separation of church and state has been taken by some well beyond its original meaning. They seek to remove from the public domain any acknowledgment of God. Religion is seen as merely a private affair with no place in public life. It is as if they are intent on establishing a new religion in America – the religion of secularism. They are wrong."

And: "Freedom requires religion just as religion requires freedom. Freedom opens the windows of the soul so that man can discover his most profound beliefs and commune with God. Freedom and religion endure together, or perish alone."
(Source: *Full speech here* *Video Version here* At least that's what I was told, here. If I can figure out my sound card issue, I'd know more. Blush )

Given attitudes like that one, who has more than 800, 000 followers on Facebook, is it any wonder why it's thought America is a Christian nation and all others pay cas...and suffer to insist it's not? Rolleyes

But it's like what's been said already. We're a young country. We're going to have to go through the trials and travails of what doesn't work, in order for it to get personal enough for enough people to change things so that they do.

The founders didn't intend to make America a theocracy, however it's not for the lack of trying demonstrated by many contemporary theists intent on correcting that error by any means necessary. Especially those who imagine the first Amendment means Congress shall make no law permitting any other religion or non-religion equal respect and freedom from attack or suppression.
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2015, 08:54 PM
I see a big difference in the young people around the world compared to american young adults. While most like to party or just like being left alone, american kids go to church even while they are on holidays traveling to other countries.

I see a similar trend among adults. The real question is if the country is anti or pro semitic. I heard that there is a saying god blesses those who bless Israel and the ones against are cursed
05-03-2015, 07:02 AM
Don't automatically assume it IS....

If the rise in the acceptance of the LGBT crowd is of any example - it shows that there's a large segment that pretends to believe something - in order to make themselves more acceptable to the "ruling crowd"...

Once people start finding out that there's less "true believers" than they thought - it makes it easy to "come out" themselves.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
05-03-2015, 08:11 AM
(26-04-2011 03:03 PM)Andy Wrote:  Hello fellow atheists!

I am a 23-year old ex-christian from Denmark, about to write an assignment with this paradox (i'm paraphrasing here):

The discoveries (modern biology, evolution, technological advancement etc) of the last 200 years or so, have led to a departure from the traditional christian faith in most of europe and especially in scandinavia. The development has been far from the same in the US. Why?

I would like you to write a short reply in which you describe why YOU think that people in the US have stuck with christianity much more than people in europe.

Thanks in advance

Probably because of a lack of State Churches, and the freedom of religions to exists in the free market.

The churches most similar to the Scandinavian traditions, mainline protests, liberal minded sects, were fading out along the same trajectory, and are the primary traditions in decline even now. It's the rise of the evangelical traditions that renewed religion in america, finding an audience, in a place where they were freely able to, with traditions able to retain much of their conservative values, while also adopting many of the changing generational dynamics. They made religion a vocal and passionate affair again, and renewed it with a sense of youthful vigor.

Even in other areas were religion has declined, evangelicals are growing in places as diverse as France, and China--were they out number card holding communist. So if i were to place the blame on American religiosity on one particular thing, it would be the out growth of the evangelical movement. And a state that placed no official favoritism on one flavor of christianity over the other.
[+] 2 users Like Tomasia's post