Why is bestiality illegal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2012, 03:12 PM
As an animal rights activist I don't know how to deal with this controversial issue.

Most humans eat meat, meaning they can justify the murder of animals for food. They must also be able to justify the agricultural process: the masturbation of animals so their sperm can be collected for artificial insemination, the forced mating of animals etc. If these activities can be justified by society it is surprising that bestiality is prohibited. The argument may be that animals are required for food, however any vegetarian knows this is not true.

The usual argument against bestiality is that animals cannot give consent, however they cannot consent to the things listed above yet society doesn't prevent them happening. They cannot consent to being taken for a walk any more than they can consent to being eaten.

Morality is occasionally used as an argument against bestiality, however morality is subjective and has been used to justify the criminalization of homosexuality or sex before marriage.

Finally bestiality is used synonymously with animal abuse or rape. This is inaccurate as not all bestiality is forceful. A dog may mount a human of its own free will, animals can reject human advances by moving away, a human zoophile may make a concerted effort to avoid harming his animal partner etc.

Should people concerned with animal rights be pro or anti bestiality?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2012, 05:32 PM
RE: Why is bestiality illegal?
Welcome to the Forum, MM. That was an interesting choice for your debut post. Confused

I have little to say about the subject myself, but if you're genuinely interested in deconstructing society's ban on bestiality, you might take a look at Edward Albee's play, The Goat, which won the Tony Award for Best Play in 2002. It's a funny but also surprisingly serious account of a married architect who falls in love with a goat.

Bestiality seems to be more of an issue in some places than in others. This roadside sign on Waiheke Island, New Zealand has attracted some attention:

[Image: 224659.jpg]

Apparently someone there thinks sheep shagging is a baaaaaaaaad idea.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 3 users Like cufflink's post
27-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Felt too much like a troll post, Cufflink. An opening message, with no intro, and it uses deliberately provocative statements (e.g. "meat is murder" bollocks). One to pass. Dodgy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Probably the most unique first post I've ever seen....

Although, at least in the USA, I don't believe bestiality is illegal everywhere. Not that I go looking of course, but I was thinking of hearing some "farm animal sex" place out west in the USA or something. Not saying it proves anything, just saying I don't believe everywhere has laws against it.

Although, does anyone know where in the bible it probably says not to do it? It'd be funny if it gave descriptions that made it "against god" to raise animals because we had to pleasure them or be the "bull's pimp" or something.
27-08-2012, 05:41 PM
300 Quaatloos the newcomer won't be back. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
27-08-2012, 05:42 PM
(27-08-2012 05:40 PM)elemts Wrote:  Although, does anyone know where in the bible it probably says not to do it? It'd be funny if it gave descriptions that made it "against god" to raise animals because we had to pleasure them or be the "bull's pimp" or something.

It's in Leviticus. It's described as being "confusing" to the beast. But not an abomination.
27-08-2012, 05:43 PM
(27-08-2012 05:42 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(27-08-2012 05:40 PM)elemts Wrote:  Although, does anyone know where in the bible it probably says not to do it? It'd be funny if it gave descriptions that made it "against god" to raise animals because we had to pleasure them or be the "bull's pimp" or something.

It's in Leviticus. It's described as being "confusing" to the beast. But not an abomination.

Thanks Smile

Plus now even if the thread wasn't legit--it now served a purpose even if briefly.
27-08-2012, 05:45 PM
(27-08-2012 05:43 PM)elemts Wrote:  
(27-08-2012 05:42 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  It's in Leviticus. It's described as being "confusing" to the beast. But not an abomination.

Thanks Smile

Plus now even if the thread wasn't legit--it now served a purpose even if briefly.

Well, it just proves to me that you haven't read my blog post Christianity vs Homosexuality. Fer shame... Dodgy
27-08-2012, 05:46 PM
(27-08-2012 05:36 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  Felt too much like a troll post, Cufflink. An opening message, with no intro, and it uses deliberately provocative statements (e.g. "meat is murder" bollocks). One to pass. Dodgy

Some trolls have started the best conversations here. Smile

Oh darn, I ran out of popcorn... oh well, not sure if I can stomach it for this one, anyway.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
27-08-2012, 05:46 PM
The animals hate it.

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF