Why is it ok to hate fat people?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Why is it ok to hate fat people?
I have been curious about this for awhile now. Why is this type of behavior condoned, especially in the US?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2012, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2012 01:17 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Why is it ok to hate fat people?
(21-04-2012 11:49 AM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  I have been curious about this for awhile now. Why is this type of behavior condoned, especially in the US?

Be careful who you hate. ... Hell, be careful with hate period, it's a counterproductive emotion.

[Image: sumo.jpg]

This is not my signature.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-04-2012, 12:27 PM
People are inherently cruel, and FAT people really are the last venue to vent hate speech in the US. I guess maybe that is why they get treated with such disdain.
21-04-2012, 12:33 PM
It ain't cool.

Why is it allowed? Because prejudice is an insidious thing that we all fall victim to. It only changes when people point it out (because prejudice, typically, is an unconsidered automatic thought), understand it and move past it.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 2 users Like Ghost's post
21-04-2012, 12:50 PM
One of my dearest friends passed away two years ago, a main factor was her obesity. I worried about her as she got bigger and bigger and health issues more numerous over the years...she just couldn't control her eating even after gastric bypass.

That said, I am lucky to have weighed about the same for the last thirty years. A few pounds more after HS and having kids. It's genetics mainly. If I put on a few pounds I know exactly why and I can alter my eating habits to take it right back off.

I don't 'hate' overweight people but I often wonder why they don't do something about it. Don't flame me, I know there are a lot of things at play. But I would watch my friend eat massive amounts of food while complaining that she couldn't lose any weight. I often am puzzled as to how people let themselves get so big. There were women I worked with that spent the day eating at their desks and also had a lunch that would have fed me for a couple days. If I notice my weight going up or my clothes feeling tighter, I back off snacks first and I long ago stopped getting seconds at a meal.

A super-sized fast food meal with a diet soda isn't going to keep the weight off.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
21-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Being concerned and hate are two different things.

The ones who literally hate, who look at someone and think they are stupid or dumb or not worth the sun to shine on them for whatever reason (colour, fat, sex, age, haircolour- whatever), are a problem.

Like in school when we learn which one of these things is not like the other, we learn to set that thing apart. It's a part of our functioning. But a cruel part of social dynamics comes out when the hate begins. And, it can be a common thought or spread like wild fire. It can affect rights (like the right to feel okay about themselves) which causes pain.

I think with obesity, lines need to be clear when it's about how we view the medical realm versus the person, just like any other component of people all together.
[+] 4 users Like LadyJane's post
21-04-2012, 01:02 PM
i don't hate fat people, i hate everyone

even the smartest man in the world is an idiot
[+] 6 users Like dredmal's post
21-04-2012, 01:28 PM
I think each culture still has people they consider "acceptable targets". Fat people, gingers, travellers, muslims, whatever. There's no reason to hate people who are different, but as human beings we hate what we fear and we fear what we don't understand. I've heard a lot of cruel words directed at fat people from people who are my friends, and it makes me very uncomfortable. I don't think people make a choice to be fat. It's not a matter of "just stop eating" like many of my friends think. You don't get to be that fat by choice. I think really obese people have a problem that causes them to overeat, and need therapy. I don't know this for sure though, I've always been too polite to ask fat people why they are fat.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 1 user Likes Smooshmonster's post
21-04-2012, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2012 01:46 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-04-2012 01:02 PM)dredmal Wrote:  i don't hate fat people, i hate everyone

Yeah, but misanthropes need to look closer to home before they just say fuck it and become sociopaths.

(21-04-2012 01:28 PM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  There's no reason to hate people who are different, but as human beings we hate what we fear and we fear what we don't understand.

Girly don't hate 'cause Girly don't fear. Wink

(21-04-2012 01:00 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I think with obesity, lines need to be clear when it's about how we view the medical realm versus the person, just like any other component of people all together.

I still got a crush on Holley Mangold. Ain't nothing unhealthy 'bout that girl. ... ManlyGirl says she's all right with my crush as long as she gets to film Mangold having her way with GirlyMan. Blush

This is not my signature.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-04-2012, 01:34 PM
(21-04-2012 11:49 AM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  I have been curious about this for awhile now. Why is this type of behavior condoned, especially in the US?

Who says it is? Wtf!

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
[+] 1 user Likes Caveman's post