Why is it ok to hate fat people?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2012, 04:50 PM
RE: Why is it ok to hate fat people?
It's not OK to hate anyone or any group. No exceptions.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
22-04-2012, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2012 05:24 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-04-2012 04:50 PM)Thomas Wrote:  It's not OK to hate anyone or any group. No exceptions.

It's not OK to hate. That shit'll kill you quick and you'll be miserable when you die. ... Kinda like meth.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
22-04-2012, 06:59 PM
(22-04-2012 04:28 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I'd guess that fat people are discriminated against for the same reason that theists discriminate against gay people... a lot of non-fat people see it as a choice. I'm sure it is to some extent, because fat people tend to eat more than others do, and eating less is a choice. But genetics plays a role, too, so it's not entirely fair to call it a choice.

Just found this from 11 days ago on NIH.gov:

Scientists Pinpoint Childhood Obesity Genes

I found several studies from 2002-2010 that indicate no genetic component,
but that link is the newest science on the genetic issue.

See? It's OK to re-evaluate when some new shit has come to light, man!

[Image: newshit.gif]

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
22-04-2012, 07:17 PM
(22-04-2012 06:59 PM)Quidsane Wrote:  I found this from 11 days ago on NIH.gov:
Scientists Pinpoint Childhood Obesity Genes

I think one of those researhers was interviewed on NPR in the last two or three weeks. Very interesing. It must be on their site. Haven't read it yet, but I think they're saying stem cells are altered "in utero", and if mom was obese, you're set up for a life long strugggle. "Obeseogens" ?

As to why do people "hate" fat people ? My take is, they don't really. It a form of "group forming" behavior. If you can set up someone, for any reason, as the "other", you (supposedly), strengthen your group. It's just like gossip. Its group forming, and formation of "groups has promoted survival since forever. Once I was up at UCLA, and we were eating in Bel-Air. This group of rowdy, really loud, obnoxious, (seriously "hick") 15-16 year olds were making fun of a (supposedly) gay guy. Then this stunning young lady walked up .. and told them to shut up, and grow up. So much for "group forming".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
22-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Ghost raised some very good issues, re body type, hereditory factors, HDLS, varying metabolisms, psychological idiosyncrasies et al; he also touched on how the various food types work best, which is quite controversial among nutritionists.

Fat, hormones, penicillin, colorants, etc etc found in meat are obviously a problem for big meat eaters despite the protein and vitamin benefits which may be over rated. Too much meat may cause muscle to ingest itself..... remember the old Dr Atkins diet? .....along with other unhealthy problems and alteration of body chemistry.

As a cynic I would still place a strong emphasis on entrepreneurial fast food,the availability of tummy tucking ,lipo-suctioning outlets, fad diets (often very dangerous) and the governmental sanctioning of such to overcome obviously bad life styles choices. There are also shows such as Biggest Loser where IMO ,at least a few initially gorge themselves to eventually become pseudo heroes at the end of the show.

One of the major flaws with capitalism is that it not only helps create bad life style patterns, it further muddys the waters by coming up with dubious plans, whereby the unwary and exploited consumer, falsely believe they can enjoy a vast range of excesses, simply to correct the ensuing problem with some form of magic bullitt.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
22-04-2012, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2012 09:29 PM by NotSoVacuous.)
(22-04-2012 12:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-04-2012 11:51 AM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  I don't hate, but I do condemn fat people as I condemn smokers.

Some cannot help it--I know. However, the majority can. Being fat shows you are a lazy bastard. Now I know some idiot here is going to take this as a statement of absolutes, so let me fix this real fast. Some people cannot help it because of disease and/or medical related injuries. I know that. As far as the others are concerned, lazy, fat, bastards.
You're not a big believer in biochemistry, huh. I mean fuck science, stereotyping is so much more fun. ... I'm starting to think you are pretty vacuous.

The sad thing is, I actually pointed this out in my post. I know it is hard to read the parts that I mentioned diseases/medical can be causes of obesity, but I guess I can mention it again...

But in all fairness, show me an obese person on a strict 1500 cal diet with a few hours of cardio a week, and I will hush.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
23-04-2012, 12:14 PM
(22-04-2012 09:06 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  
(22-04-2012 12:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You're not a big believer in biochemistry, huh. I mean fuck science, stereotyping is so much more fun. ... I'm starting to think you are pretty vacuous.

The sad thing is, I actually pointed this out in my post. I know it is hard to read the parts that I mentioned diseases/medical can be causes of obesity, but I guess I can mention it again...

But in all fairness, show me an obese person on a strict 1500 cal diet with a few hours of cardio a week, and I will hush.
Why don't we prove god while we are at it? How in the hell do you expect that?
Ohh I get it, you don't.... You are so disillusioned that you come up with a near impossible scenario to protect your ego. Then pretend you are right when we don't deliver on it.

Well, sorry champ, but you are dead wrong. We don't need to find an obese person eating only 1500 cals to prove that. There is a ton of sources here that you are simply ignoring to protect that small brain and penis of yours.
23-04-2012, 12:27 PM
I think people hate on fat people because they fail to understand that obesity is a physical disease as much as it is psychological, it's like a drug addiction, and thus it needs very long treatment and the rest of the person life to recover and keep healthy. Because they don't care to understand the complexity of the disorder usually they pin it to a lack of discipline and therefore they blame the person for their condition.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
23-04-2012, 12:28 PM
All hate is taught............ if you hate for ANY reason outside of your own personal life experience then sorry your a mug.

Took me about 25 years out of my 31 years on the planet to work that one out.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
23-04-2012, 01:25 PM
The diet that works best for people who just cannot shed weight and keep it off is one that goes against all the calorie and carb etc. based diets. They starve the body which causes it to try like hell to compensate.

This diet makes you add foods instead of taking them away, and it's all about the type of foods you add and your continuing to eat them no matter what.

Like steelcut oats with flax seeds and any other type of seed or whole grain you like (sesame, poppy, whatever) for breakfast, which you can dress up any way you like. Add any fruit that turns you on, molasses or honey, nuts, whatever. Just no white sugar. This can be very tasty because it can be totally individualized, no cal or carb counting of any kind. It's easy to do, one evening a week boil some water and throw in the grains. Turn the heat off, let sit and put in fridge. Voila, you can have it every morning and just add in whatever turns your taste buds on. You can eat as much as you like.

Once you start this you HAVE to eat it every day. If you need to pig out on bacon or whatever, do it after you eat your whole grains.

Once that habit is there, eat a veggie based salad 1/2 hour before lunch. Any salad, if you don't like lettuce, don't eat it. Make it something you like. Once started, you HAVE to eat a veggie salad every day, regardless of what else you eat. Use any dressing you want, but add either vinegar or lemon juice.

Once that is a habit, add a tall glass of water and some dark chocolate 1/2 hour before dinner. Again, you MUST eat this.

Once these things are in place, the person finds themselves cutting down on other foods without trying, just because they are satisfied. So, after some time, they find themselves on a healthy diet and lose weight. There was never any hunger or deprivation of any kind. The body never switched to panic mode. If cravings arise, they can be satified as long as the added foods stay in place.

This seems to work for a lot of people who cannot keep off weight otherwise. The weight loss is slow and steady. The person feels good, and there are no hunger pangs or cravings that trigger the kind of body responses that trouble so many people on diets. Genetically caused cravings are kept at bay because they are satisfied.

If you can add some muscle using hand weights (the easiest to do for anyone) the progress will be faster. But any muscle build up will do.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man