Why is it ok to hate fat people?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2012, 01:55 PM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2012 01:59 PM by germanyt.)
RE: Why is it ok to hate fat people?
(22-04-2012 11:48 AM)Antirepublican Wrote:  
(21-04-2012 07:53 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I find it difficult to hate on "fat people" because they make up the majority of the Western population. Do I think that people who are overweight because they eat too much are gluttonous, selfish, and greedy? Yes. Do I hate them? No.
I would hardly stereotype the western population as being "fat".

The US's stance on obesity really is a fairly low bar.
http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/defining.html

Definitions for Adults

For adults, overweight and obesity ranges are determined by
using weight and height to calculate a number called the "body
mass index" (BMI). BMI is used because, for most people, it
correlates with their amount of body fat.
  • An adult who has a BMI between 25 and 29.9 is considered overweight.
  • An adult who has a BMI of 30 or higher is considered obese.
See the following table for an example

Height Weight Range BMI Considered
--------- 124 lbs or less Below 18.5 Underweight
5' 9" --- 125 lbs to 168 lbs 18.5 to 24.9 Healthy weight
--------- 169 lbs to 202 lbs 25.0 to 29.9 Overweight
--------- 203 lbs or more 30 or higher Obese

There are no different categories for men and women. This in itself makes the table seem ridiculous...
Muscle weighs more than fat, another factor that is completely ignored.
Also, how the hell is 125 lbs healthy weight for a male at that height? That seems extremely underweight for a grown man.

It all seems like a load of BS to me... Its like a remake of reefer madness.
The BMI considers me to be obese. I'm 6'2", 225 lbs, and under 15% bodyfat. Even if I drop 20 lbs of straight fat and weigh 205 @ 5% BF the BMI will still categorize me as obese.

(22-04-2012 02:06 PM)Ghost Wrote:  I'm still dazzled by satan's idiocy, but I'll throw in my two cents on obesity.

1 pound of human fat = 3 500 calories. If the human body burns 3 500 calories more than it takes in, it loses a pound of fat. Vice versa.

Average intake for women = 2 000 calories per day
Average intake for men = 2 500 calories per day
Anything below 900 calories a day is considered starvation.

1 gram of fat = 9 calories
1 gram of carbs = 4 calories
1 gram of protein = 4 calories

Mono and poly unsaturated fats are better for you than saturated fats because they have higher amounts of high density lippoproteins (HDL) while saturated fats have high amounts of low density lippoproteins (LDL). LDL cholesterol is largely responsible for arterial sclerosis (plaquing), while HDL actually acts like a pipe cleaner and can help reduce existing plaque. Essential fatty acids are those fat molecules that cannot be manufactured inside the body. Essential means you MUST get the molecule from an external source. Fats are required; however, their high caloric value makes them an easy candidate for a calorie restricted diet.

Complex carbs are better for you than simple carbs. The molecule is longer and more difficult for your body to break down, meaning the energy lasts longer. It's analogous to diesel vs rocket fuel. Simple (or high glycemic) carbs also cause insulin spikes which are bad m'kay. Some diets advocate eliminating carbohydrates, but they are your body's favourite fuel source. It can use fat and protein, but prefers carbohydrates (which are stored in your body as glycol). You want to avoid catabolism, which is the canabalising of your muscle tissue for energy. Long term studies (that lasted at least a year) that compared low carb diets to diets that included carbohydrates demonstrate that while low carb diets cause rapid initial weight loss, at the end of the year, the net result is essentially identical.

Protein is good for you, but many meats can be high in saturated fats and high protein diets can lead to kidney stones which are no fun at all.

That's just some basic nutrition stuff.

What's really important is METABOLISM.

Metabolism (basically) is the rate at which your body can process calories. It has a great deal to do with genetics and body type (endomorph, ectomorph, mesomorph). Overall muscle mass has a huge effect. Even at rest, muscle burns calories. There's a reason that IFBB heavyweight body builders can eat upwards of 10 000 to 15 000 calories in a day.

[Image: julz+gsp+bj+penn.JPG]

Someone like, say, George St. Pierre (left) is an example of a male who exercises at high intensity and who has a high muscle mass, but also has a high metabolism genetically. BJ Penn (right) works out just as hard as GSP, but still looks doughy. That's the kind of impact that metabolism can have on elite athletes. When you get to regular folks (those who don't exercise professionally), the impact is more dramatic.

People who are morbidly obese typically have a perfect storm of metabolic issues. Low muscle mass, slow like molasses genetic metabolism and high calorie diets. There's a reason it's odd for someone to be 500 lbs.

All of this is to say that yes, diet and exercise have a significant impact on someone's weight. But the idea that if anyone hits the gym that they'll look like GSP or Brad Pitt in Fight Club, is patently false.

Do exercise and calorie restricted diets lead to weight loss? Absolutely. Is everyone going to look like Adonis? Not a chance.

Then we hit the last hurdle; psychology. The psychology behind eating is incredibly complex. Some people are able to stick to strict diets with no problem. Other people have eating disorders (not just obese people, but people suffering from bulimia or anorexia nervosa), suffer from depression, obsessive compulsive disorder and other mental health issues. The Victrorian idea of willpower suggests that everyone can just suck it up and control themselves 100% of the time. But that's not only crap, it's an idea that's over 100 years old. Eating disorders are a disease just like alcoholism is a disease. Having very slow metabolic rates is a genetic predisposition, not a choice.

Is it reasonable to be concerned about overweight and obese people's health and encourage them to take care of themselves physically, emotionally and psychologically? Of course. Is it reasonable to expect that everyone should be skinny? Not at all. Should all overweight people be blamed, mocked and ridiculed for their physical state? No.

Discrimination is bad, m'kay. So all you bigots our there, fuck off.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
I'm impressed by your nutrition knowledge. Most people think that if you eat rice after 8 PM you'll get fat while you sleep.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2012, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2012 03:45 PM by Ghost.)
Hey, Germany.

Quote:I'm impressed by your nutrition knowledge.

Why thank you, kind sir Smile

Matt

ON EDIT:

I just wanted to drop some knowledge on discrimination. One theory of discrimination proposes that there are primary and secondary dimensions of diversity.

PRIMARY
Physical and Mental Abilities
Sexual Orientation
Race

SECONDARY
Income
Health Habits
Religious Beliefs
Education and Training
General Appearance
Relationship and Status
Culture and Ethnic Customs
Communication Style

The Primary dimensions are unchangeable. We are born with them (including sexual orientation) or they become permanent parts of our lives (like if one becomes a paraplegic).

The Secondary dimensions are environmental. They can change on some level.

But whether the dimensions of diversity are primary or secondary, they can all be discriminated against. Obese people possess one or more dimensions of diversity. It is no more cool to discriminate against them than it is to be a sexist, racist, ageist, homophobe or to call someone a retard. Everyone stereotypes and most of us discriminate on some level, but the trick is to recognise it as much as possible, shed light on it and make it better.

Here's a good exercise. Figure out some group that you discriminate against. Maybe you don't like people who don't speak your language, or think the rich are evil, or that blacks wearing hoodies are necessarily dangerous. Find one, sit down with them and ask them non-judgmental open-ended questions. You'll likely be surprised by what you hear.
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
23-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Penn & Teller
Obesity Epidemic is Bullshit

23-04-2012, 04:32 PM
An Economist makes the argument that being ugly surpasses all other forms of discrimination.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/28/opinio...-case.html
Attractive people enjoy the halo effect. They are thought of a smarter, more ethical, and harder working.
The income difference can be as much as $250,000 in a life time.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
23-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Hey, Thomas.

I buy it.

Matt
24-04-2012, 06:24 AM
I don't hate fat people, but I really can't help the sickness I feel when I watch them eat... I don't know what it is. I will sometimes gag when I see a very fat person eat.

Not my fault... but, yeah, don't hate them. Wink

[Image: opforum1.png]
24-04-2012, 07:43 AM
(24-04-2012 06:24 AM)frankiej Wrote:  I don't hate fat people, but I really can't help the sickness I feel when I watch them eat... I don't know what it is. I will sometimes gag when I see a very fat person eat.

It's hard not to ridicule a fat person sometimes. Here at work sometimes there will be a big girl at the vending machine. Is she getting Baked Lays? Nope. Sunchips? No. 3 packs of powdered doughnuts? Of course. It just makes me SMH. It's like if you saw someone on an oxygen tank smoking a cigarette.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
24-04-2012, 07:45 AM
(24-04-2012 07:43 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(24-04-2012 06:24 AM)frankiej Wrote:  I don't hate fat people, but I really can't help the sickness I feel when I watch them eat... I don't know what it is. I will sometimes gag when I see a very fat person eat.

It's hard not to ridicule a fat person sometimes. Here at work sometimes there will be a big girl at the vending machine. Is she getting Baked Lays? Nope. Sunchips? No. 3 packs of powdered doughnuts? Of course. It just makes me SMH.
This goes for any fulfilled stereotype.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
24-04-2012, 07:47 AM
(24-04-2012 07:45 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-04-2012 07:43 AM)germanyt Wrote:  It's hard not to ridicule a fat person sometimes. Here at work sometimes there will be a big girl at the vending machine. Is she getting Baked Lays? Nope. Sunchips? No. 3 packs of powdered doughnuts? Of course. It just makes me SMH.
This goes for any fulfilled stereotype.
This brings me to another question probably deserving of it's own thread. If sterotypes are true why do we call them sterotypes?

-Mark Twain
24-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Well, I'm gonna go act like a fatty and stuff my face.

[Image: opforum1.png]