Why is it ok to hate fat people?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2012, 10:31 AM
RE: Why is it ok to hate fat people?
(24-04-2012 10:29 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Let's add some more facts to the list:
FACT - genetic pre-dispositions towards being overweight are on a steady increase

I'd need to see a study on this. I'm pretty sure computers and video games have led to a more sedentary lifestyle and that on top of the fact that shit food is half the price of good food is why obesity rates are so high.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2012, 10:33 AM
(24-04-2012 09:14 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(24-04-2012 09:11 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  No, you are noticing them. Big difference. The skinny dude from accounting bought donuts at the vending machine too. But you didn't notice because he didn't fit into your stereotype of skinny accountants.
Half decent explanation for this scenario. But sterotypes exist because of observation. There is certainly enough evidence to suggest that the average fat person eats more doughnuts than the average skinny person.
I'm obese.

I don't eat donuts.

Just sayin'.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
24-04-2012, 10:39 AM
(24-04-2012 10:31 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(24-04-2012 10:29 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Let's add some more facts to the list:
FACT - genetic pre-dispositions towards being overweight are on a steady increase

I'd need to see a study on this. I'm pretty sure computers and video games have led to a more sedentary lifestyle and that on top of the fact that shit food is half the price of good food is why obesity rates are so high.
Other very good possibilities of why a person may be overweight, but so far beyond my point that it makes me want to pull my hair out! Yer killin me man!

I don't have any studies to provide, so if it provides some clarity, I'll gladly retract the statement. Even if the reasons you mentioned ( though I'd need to see a study to back them up Wink) are the sole reasons for obesity, why the hell would we mock these people instead of trying to help them????

So many cats, so few good recipes.
24-04-2012, 10:44 AM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2012 10:45 AM by germanyt.)
(24-04-2012 10:33 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(24-04-2012 09:14 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Half decent explanation for this scenario. But sterotypes exist because of observation. There is certainly enough evidence to suggest that the average fat person eats more doughnuts than the average skinny person.
I'm obese.

I don't eat donuts.

Just sayin'.
You don't count. You're sexy either way.
(24-04-2012 10:39 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(24-04-2012 10:31 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I'd need to see a study on this. I'm pretty sure computers and video games have led to a more sedentary lifestyle and that on top of the fact that shit food is half the price of good food is why obesity rates are so high.
Other very good possibilities of why a person may be overweight, but so far beyond my point that it makes me want to pull my hair out! Yer killin me man!

I don't have any studies to provide, so if it provides some clarity, I'll gladly retract the statement. Even if the reasons you mentioned ( though I'd need to see a study to back them up Wink) are the sole reasons for obesity, why the hell would we mock these people instead of trying to help them????
I'm not mocking anyone. Am I? Huh

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
24-04-2012, 10:46 AM
I don't hate fat people, but I am outspoken about the subject and can come across as hateful. I'm not in the best shape of my life right now, but I at least make sure that I stay semi-healthy. Weight is the one of the few things about my body that I know I can take FULL control of. Don't mistake that comment as being that I do take FULL control 100% of the time... more like sporadically lol.

Here's the deal... people can restrict smokers and it's not big deal. Yes, they smell bad, but the truth is, the effects of second-hand smoke are sketchy at best. The amount you have to be exposed to via second hand is not a small matter. Previously, you had your own freedom to not visit a restaurant if they allowed smokers. Now? Government has put a restriction on these privately owned businesses to not allow smoking in-doors. People rip on smokers constantly... "oh, you should quit, that's so bad for you".

You do any of this to fat people and what? It's offensive? Give me a break. Last I checked, obesity was gaining foot against tobacco-use as a cause of death. That makes it the NUMBER 2 cause of deaths in America. Knowing this info, would you dare tell a fat person not to eat that donut as they are about to take a bite? If not, why not? Because you're afraid to offend them right?

Here's another controversy I perpetuate... obese people, unless they have a medical condition (related), SHOULD pay extra for airline seats. It's just not fair to the rest of us. I LOVE FOOD. I am a true foodie so hopefully you get my previous comment about not always being in total control of my weight now. You're telling me, someone that doesn't practice self control and enjoys all the benefits of the wonderful food in this world also gets to enjoy the benefit of taking up two airplane seats for the cost of one??? They get wider than business-class seating in economy??? NOT FAIR!

Yes, some genetics are involved here such as individual metabolism. However, that is still no excuse to be so obese that you have to take up two airline seats. You weren't born a SHAQ, who truly is the outcome of genetics, so you have no excuse.

So you gain weight easier when you eat. DEAL WITH IT. Eat healthier. That doesn't mean you have to completely let go of good food altogether. This world is obsessed with diets when the most effective one is right under their nose... portion control.

I have genetic "short-comings" <---get your mind out of the gutter-- too that I have to deal with. I have skinny fingers which means any ring I buy almost certainly requires that I get one custom made or special ordered. They NEVER carry my ring size in stores. I couldn't get a cheaper tungsten ring because they cannot be altered which meant that it had to be special ordered which meant I had to wait weeks which meant that I couldn't get it in time for my wedding. Tough cookies. Also tough cookies is that I had to pay the same price for my white gold ring as people with bigger fingers even though I'm technically getting less gold.

Sorry, that's my semi-coherent post-lunch rant lol. My grammar probably sucked too. Ironically, I just ate a personal sized Hawaiin pizza as I typed this. Diet soda though!

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes NoahsFarce's post
24-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Heart I feel so pretty. Big Grin

[Image: 1163920481-1162652607034.b.jpg]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
24-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Gt, didn't intend to point a finger at you specifically. I was referring to making jokes and mean statements in general. All those nasty things make a mockery of a very real plight a lot of people face.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
24-04-2012, 10:59 AM
(24-04-2012 10:29 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  And when you accuse the guy of being drunk, then discover he is stumbling from hitting his head in the accident, and the bottle he is carrying was found in the ditch and he filled it with water in an attempt to douse the fire that would otherwise kill the soccer mom and her kids?

Like you said, it's possible, but not likely. Stereotypes exist for a reason. As Angie said. Now, are they true in every case? No, of course not. If you flip your light switch on is it going to produce light every time? No. But, you fully expect it to because of what you've observed and what you expect from the switch. If the light does not come on, then that goes against the norm and what you expected. Since it goes against the norm, you know that something's wrong. Something caused it.

Quote:Sure it's not nearly as likely as your scenario, but the point is that you are drawing conclusions without ENOUGH evidence. Just like drawing the conclusion that "fat people stuff their faces" (which, by the way is one hell of a nasty way of putting it, and I think is far beneath you) when the person in question is one of the few who have a genetic disorder or whatnot.

I was alluding to germanyt's original statement. But anyway, I acknowledged that there could be a reason - a true medical reason. If that is case, and the person wants to avoid being stereotyped, then they should take it upon themselves to eat healthy. Unfortunately, life delt them a hand where they can't live without preconceived ideas about themselves. I see it all the time with my dad and his disease (he's severely handicapped).

Yes, stereotypes, unfortunately exists. But, an individual has to take personal responsibility for their actions and not participate in stereotypical behavior if they don't want to be stereotyped.

Quote:The most important fact here is that the stereotype leads you to a conclusion without evidence. An overweight person is that way for a reason. Using a stereotype gets you no closer to discovering that reason, it only helps you guess. We're talking about people here. Is it ok to just guess, then have a laugh at their expense because your guess happens to amuse you? I'm not willing to hurt someone based on a "more than likely" scenario.

Good point. I'll give you that.

Quote:Let's add some more facts to the list:
FACT - overcoming poor eating habits and lack of knowledge is not as simple as just eating better.
FACT - people can become so overwhelmed by stereotypes that it can lead to severe depression and suicide. (regardless of whether someone's weight issues are self inflicted or not, the joke doesn't seem so funny when it's the final straw the drives a person to hopelessness)

I didn't deny this. There are legitimate medical reasons as to why, but I would like to see the evidence and the percentages of obese people who actually have a medical reason. I'm almost positive that lifestyles and eating habits far outweigh legitimate medical issues that cause obesity.

Quote:What I'm trying to convey here is not that the stereotype is less than likely to be true. It's that by using a stereotype, you turn individuals into a group that gets covered easily by blanket statements like, "fat people stuff their faces with fatty foods" which is unfair and hurtful to people whether they fall into this group or not.

Now, that is wrong. Just plain wrong. If people fulfill a stereotype then they are making it true, and you are offering them an excuse to fulfill that stereotype. If they fulfill that stereotype, then they have no one to blame but themselves. They are eating foods that are not helping them lose their weight. That is not unfair; that is a true statement. Regardless if it's hurtful or not, that doesn't take away from the factual correctness of the statement. If a person fulfills a stereotype, and is hurt by that stereotype, then they are the only person to blame for not trying to disprove it.

Quote:I say again......these are people we're talking about. Isn't it worth the effort to seek out the individuals reasons for being overweight, instead of stereotyping them, and then waiting for the facts? It seems so backwards to me.

Yes, of course. But again... stereotypes exists. They just do. And, they aren't going away. While it may not be fair, it is a fact of life.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
24-04-2012, 11:05 AM
(24-04-2012 10:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yes, of course. But again... stereotypes exists. They just do. And, they aren't going away. While it may not be fair, it is a fact of life.
There is a stereotype that exists that people who live up to a stereotype are okay to mock.

~Izel
24-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Stereotypes are grounded in truth. What's bad about stereotyping is that it assumes this truth is accurate 100% of the time. Also bad is that a lot of it also involves a great deal of subjectivity.

Trust me, I'm an Asian male living in America, I know...

Yea yea, I bring up my race a lot. What can I say other than that I've been through shit.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson