Why is it ok to hate fat people?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2012, 11:35 AM
RE: Why is it ok to hate fat people?
(24-04-2012 11:26 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(24-04-2012 11:16 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Bigotry is hating or being intolerant of someone for no other reason other than a specific trait.

Stereotyping isn't bigotry. It's forming a preconceived thought about a person based on a trait. The thought doesn't have to be negative... it can be positive or completely neutral.
Yes...and then it is used as an excuse to perpetuate the act of looking down on others who are different.

Can you think of one stereotype that is positive? And if you use Black Sports Athletes as an example I'm gonna kick your Elect Ass.
Asians are good in math.
Brunettes have more fun.
French people are sophisticated.
Australian males are lady's men.
Atheists are more intellectual than theists.
Black people are better at spor...

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2012, 11:38 AM
(24-04-2012 11:35 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Australian males are lady's men.
I've been to Austrailia. The women def love us more. Big Grin

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
24-04-2012, 11:41 AM
(24-04-2012 11:35 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-04-2012 11:26 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Yes...and then it is used as an excuse to perpetuate the act of looking down on others who are different.

Can you think of one stereotype that is positive? And if you use Black Sports Athletes as an example I'm gonna kick your Elect Ass.
Asians are good in math.
Brunettes have more fun.
Uh-oh...ass kicking narrowly averted.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
24-04-2012, 11:44 AM
(24-04-2012 11:35 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-04-2012 11:26 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Yes...and then it is used as an excuse to perpetuate the act of looking down on others who are different.

Asians are good in math.
Brunettes have more fun...besides, I think the saying is about Blondes.
Noah, you good at math?
I'm brunette I don't have fun.
I know a French person who isn't sophisticated.
Rora? Your thoughts?
True
Better start running.

So now, because of your stereotypes...an Asian with a C in math feels like a failure. Someone with haircolor XYZ feels excluded. Everyone knows the French smell funny and the women don't shave their pits. Aussie men have cool accents, but I doubt this guy feels lucky with the ladies [Image: australian-man1.png?w=640&h=350]
I know a lot of smart Theists...you're not on the list...but I know a lot of dumb ones too. Useless stereotype.

For every Kobe Bryant, there's probably a million black people who are clumsy.

I stand by my statement that people who use the excuse..."But it's just a stereotype" are using it as a way to categorize people who are different from the one using the excuse. And I defy you to defend general stereotyping as a good thing when it excludes, mocks, hates and neglects the personhood and individualism of so many other people. This is no different than bigotry, even if you want to stand by your dictionary definition and feel like your hands are washed clean.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
24-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Got another one. See a tall guy. Must be a basketball player.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
24-04-2012, 11:58 AM
You seem to have the misconception that I'm defending stereotyping. Stereotyping, in general, is wrong. Everything you said is right about it demeaning others.

But, I'm a realist. Stereotypes exist. Nothing we can do about it. A stereotyped individual can further their case by not fulfilling a stereotype. Fulfilling a stereotype and saying, "You don't know me, so you shouldn't stereotype" is not helping.

It's a two way street. For stereotyping to disappear, people need to consciously make the decision to not stereotype and the person being stereotyped needs to do everything they can to not fulfill their stereotype.

On a personal note: Do I stereotype? Unfortunately, I do on occasions. I'm not perfect, and I try to not do it; however, sometimes it happen unconsciously. It's just something that I had to train myself to not do.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
24-04-2012, 12:02 PM
(24-04-2012 11:58 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  You seem to have the misconception that I'm defending stereotyping. Stereotyping, in general, is wrong. Everything you said is right about it demeaning others.

But, I'm a realist. Stereotypes exist. Nothing we can do about it. A stereotyped individual can further their case by not fulfilling a stereotype. Fulfilling a stereotype and saying, "You don't know me, so you shouldn't stereotype" is not helping.

It's a two way street. For stereotyping to disappear, people need to consciously make the decision to not stereotype and the person being stereotyped needs to do everything they can to not fulfill their stereotype.

On a personal note: Do I stereotype? Unfortunately, I do on occasions. I'm not perfect, and I try to not do it; however, sometimes it happen unconsciously. It's just something that I had to train myself to not do.
Basically this. If you are overweight and don't want to be picked on for eating 8 slices of meat lovers pizza then don't eat 8 slices of meat lovers pizza. Or lose the weight and no one will question your choice of diet. And if you can't help eating the 8 slices and can tolerate the ridicule then don't complain about being obese and don't complain about sterotypes.

-Mark Twain
24-04-2012, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2012 12:18 PM by Anjele.)
I get that stereotypes can be hurtful...as I said, they are often a shortcut to describing someone...not necessarily right, and not always negative although often so.

I am a short, relatively thin white woman and would be considered middle-class. My usual work is as a bookkeeper. I have been a Girl Scout leader, Boy Scout troop secretary/treasurer, baseball team mom and part-time score keeper. Pretty mundane stuff. I don't dress flashy (usually jean and tshirts) and the only jewelry I wear is a wedding ring. I take college classes, I like to read, I sew. I don't garner much attention, until summer.

See, I have tattoos, several of them. One goes from my right knee to my ankle. It's an impressive piece of work. Most of my ink is on my legs so they are covered until summer when I wear skirts or shorts. Oh boy! The looks I get! I can almost see the gears grinding. And here is my own personal stereotype...old ladies look like I walked in ready to slit their throats. I see actual looks of pure horror. This has gone on since the first one I had done around my ankle. I don't get much reaction from other groups except for people that have ink or want ink and they want to admire or ask questions about mine. Funny thing is that I have grown so used to it that I often don't notice unless someone points it out to me.

Don't judge me cause I have ink. You don't know shit about me.

I don't use stereotypes to judge people. I just know what people mean when they use them...it's a shortcut to what they are trying to say.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
24-04-2012, 12:27 PM
(24-04-2012 11:58 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  On a personal note: Do I stereotype? Unfortunately, I do on occasions. I'm not perfect, and I try to not do it; however, sometimes it happen unconsciously. It's just something that I had to train myself to not do.
I know how you feel, I can't stand mentally ill and stupid people - I wonder if there is a difference???

Anyway, as soon as I realize that a person is stupid, I avoid them like the plague, now. I used to to call them out, "you're an idiot," or "you don't know what you're talking about. Now I stop talking to them and act like I'm the stupid one. It seems like the wrong thing to do, but I am tired of having to explain why people have things all fucked up, and that it has to do with inadequate knowledge classification and erroneous constitutional systems.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
24-04-2012, 12:59 PM
(24-04-2012 12:02 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(24-04-2012 11:58 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  You seem to have the misconception that I'm defending stereotyping. Stereotyping, in general, is wrong. Everything you said is right about it demeaning others.

Basically this. If you are overweight and don't want to be picked on for eating 8 slices of meat lovers pizza then don't eat 8 slices of meat lovers pizza. Or lose the weight and no one will question your choice of diet. And if you can't help eating the 8 slices and can tolerate the ridicule then don't complain about being obese and don't complain about sterotypes.

And I'm not saying that I never stereotype, but I do recognize when I do it, why I'm doing it.

And KC, I only picked up on stereotyping because it's been used here a handful of times to justify why it's ok to mock people who are different.
GT, I wish it were that basic.
I'm 6', 240 pounds. According to "the charts" I'm 70 pounds over what I "should be", and therefore, I'm obese by definition. Do I feel obsese? No. I exercise...hardcore? Sometimes, but more often than not, No. Nor do I eat 8 pieces of meatlover's pizza. I don't eat donuts. IF I go to fast food, I don't eat fries or a dozen burgers. I Can I try harder to lose weight? Yes. Just like I can try harder to not be depressed and anxious. Just like I can try harder to overcome my insomnia.
I wish it were that basic.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel