Why is it ok to hate fat people?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2012, 02:28 PM
RE: Why is it ok to hate fat people?
I can continue to try to change myself. It took a while but I got hubby to stop calling all women bitches, and using the N word and faggot...at least within my earshot.

My kids weren't allowed to use those types of words.

I turn inside out when someone uses the word retard...I have called people down for that.

I have tried to change those in my little world. Since I am a homebody and don't interact much with anyone...those are the steps I can take.

SR and Erx-I am sorry to have hit on any sore spots. Certainly wasn't my intent.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2012, 05:01 PM
HOLY SHIT!

I fucking blink and there's six pages of posts!

Well I sure as shit ain't responding to all of them. So I'll say this.

Blacks are criminals.
Jews are cheap.
Yanks are fucking stupid.
Indians are drunks.
Women can't drive.
Italians are in the mafia.

These are all stereotypes. Someone, please, stop me when I come to the stereotype that is steeped in truth.

Anyone? No?

Stereotypes are not true. Stereotyping is a generalisation of all members of a group that are unwarranted and unfounded. They reinforce the tendency to reduce the complex to the simplistic. They fail because they do not take individuality into consideration because they assume that all individuals are the same as the rest of the group regardless of who they are as a person.

Are there some black criminals? Sure. Are all blacks criminals? That's fucking ridiculous. Of course they aren't. But the stereotype, that blacks are all criminals, tells us they ALL are in the face of the fact that it is demonstrably false. What do we call claims that claim to be true when they're demonstrably false? Bullshit!

The notion that sterotypes are based in fact is utter bullshit. Stereotypes are based in ANECDOTE. Nothing more. Anecdote is not and never will be fact. Never. "Well in my experience, all the black people I've met are criminals." 1 - That's fucking impossible. No human being has ever experienced that. 2 - That isn't fact. That's anecdote that has been extrapolated out to cover an entire group.

I have NEVER met a black criminal. AND I'M BLACK!

The thing is that ALL HUMANS STEREOTYPE. Human cognition works through a system of abstraction, simplification and categorisation. We all carry stereotypes. That's not the issue. The issue is when we believe the stereotypes to be true. They are a tool to make superficial thinking easier. That's all. But the moment our thinking goes beyond the superficial, stereotypes need to be left at the door.

Prejudice is the prejudging of someone based on a sterotype. "That 17-year-old black kid in the hoodie MUST be a criminal because all black's are criminals." If Trevon had been white, the country would have been outraged because the headline would have read "17-year-old shot dead in gated community". But the sad truth is that the reason people aren't outraged is because Trevon's headline read "BLACK 17-year-old shot dead in gated community". In the backs of people's mind, not only do they wonder what he was doing in that neighbourhood, but they figure, well, maybe he deserved it. To varying degrees, he has been prejudged because the stereotype that blacks are criminals is RAMPANT in the States.

Discrimination is an action or a behaviour resulting from prejudice and sterotypes.

The problem with sterotype, prejudice and discrimination is that ALL OF THEM are based on a FICTION.

The double problem is that EVERYONE carries stereotype and prejudice with them. The point is not to say, everyone does it so fuck it. The point is to say, we KNOW that these things are a part of human cognition and that they are ALL FICTIONS based on, AT BEST, ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE and that really bad things happen when we act on them. So, as much as possible, we need to remind ourselves where our stereotypes and prejudices lie so that we can annihilate those fictions and replace them with more complex views of those groups and understand that individuals are just that, individuals. Yes, there are black criminals. Yes there is a disproportionate number of blacks in the corrections system. Do either of those facts support the notion that all blacks are criminals? No they do not. The former are facts. The latter is a fiction.

What I'm hearing in this thread is a whole lot of stereotyping of obese and overweight people and a whole lot of prejudging. I'm also hearing people say, "Yeah, well it's OK because it's based in fact." Total crap. It's neither OK nor is it based in fact.

What's the answer to the OP? Because people believe stereotypes and carry prejudice. It's not OK. Not for fat people, not for Jews, not for blacks, not for women, not for the old, not for the poor, not for homosexuals, not for anyone.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 3 users Like Ghost's post
24-04-2012, 05:15 PM
(24-04-2012 05:01 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Blacks are criminals.
Jews are cheap.
Yanks are fucking stupid.
Indians are drunks.
Women can't drive.
Italians are in the mafia.
Just playing devils advocate.

Black criminals - Prison population and arrest records indicated that a far greater number of blacks percentage wise commit crimes. Obviously there are socioeconomic issues at work here but that's where the sterotype comes from. Sort of a 'most criminals are black but most blacks are not criminals' thing.

Cheap Jews - Can't speak to this. I don't think I know a Jew.

Stupid yanks - Compared to what? This could be either very true or very false depending on what you are comparing us to. I happen to think I'm pretty smart.

Indians are drunks - I lived in Washington for 4 years and there are a lot of Native Americans there (unless you mean Asian Indians) and tons of people I know have commented on the alcohol consumption of Indians. Especially the ones that live on the reservation.

Women drivers - Danica Patrick is the only recent female driver in racing and she is horrible. Is that a telling statistic? No. But IMO it's the same as saying women can't play football. There is probably some truth there.

Italian mob - Again, most mobsters are Italian but most Italians are not mobsters. However, in a lineup of 10 different ethnicities you'd statistically have a better chance of picking out the mobster by picking the Italian guy.

IMO statistic based profiling isn't stereotyping.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
24-04-2012, 05:15 PM
I understand why people get hurt over stereotypes. I don't see stereotypes as being remotely true, that is why I find them funny and joke about them.

Every comedian pretty much deals in stereotyping. It makes for a good joke. As long as people realise it is a joke. People take offence at some jokes, but that doesn't mean that they should stop making those jokes... I've said jokes too much... Tongue

Maybe I am just too influenced by Scottish patter... our banter is just ripping into each other, or am I stereotyping again?

[Image: opforum1.png]
24-04-2012, 05:24 PM
(24-04-2012 05:15 PM)frankiej Wrote:  I understand why people get hurt over stereotypes. I don't see stereotypes as being remotely true, that is why I find them funny and joke about them.

Every comedian pretty much deals in stereotyping. It makes for a good joke. As long as people realise it is a joke. People take offence at some jokes, but that doesn't mean that they should stop making those jokes... I've said jokes too much... Tongue

Maybe I am just too influenced by Scottish patter... our banter is just ripping into each other, or am I stereotyping again?
Same thing here. Watch The Original Kings of Comedy. It's probably on YT. Racial stereotypes are huge in the stand up world.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
24-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Hey, Germany.

While your opinion may be humble, it also happens to be incorrect Cool

Matt
24-04-2012, 05:27 PM

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
24-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Cedric the Entertainer is one cool guy... He did play Willie Dixon in Cadillac Records after all. Wink

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
24-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Exormai was spot on about the math thing for me. I'm a born citizen so I got the same math schooling as the rest of average America. Asians that are good at math either learned in Asia or have strict parents that force them to study hard. It's more cultural than it is innate as the stereotype suggests.

Another observation of mine about that stereotype is that the white kids that excel just as well in math don't get the same attention. This probably because of the stereotype and the fact that there are probably very few Asians in a particular math class therefore they stick out that much more.

Growing up, I did feel like a complete failure in mathmatics. Believe it or not, my own father used to hold the stereotype against me. He used to rub it in my face that Americans expect Asians to excel in math so I'd better live up to it.

I am more of an expressive person and although I am analytical, numbers just don't mesh with me. A bit of a conundrum seeing as how my first love is astronomy. I plan on pursuing it later in life so I will surely have to brush up on m math skills... Why can't the language of the Universe be Ebonics?

I could go on about the Asian stereotypes and the effects they had on me growing up in America. I even researched things like "Do Asian men really have smaller penises?" And yes, there is an evolutional explanation for that whole stereotype lol.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes NoahsFarce's post
24-04-2012, 08:22 PM
(24-04-2012 05:25 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Germany.

While your opinion may be humble, it also happens to be incorrect Cool

Matt
I prefer humble and incorrect to arrogantly calling someone incorrect.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.