Why is it ok to hate fat people?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2012, 01:55 PM
RE: Why is it ok to hate fat people?
People like to feel like they are better than other people. That's the root of all of it.

One religion feels superior to the others, they all feel superior to atheists, the skinny feel superior to the fat, the white to the black, fans of one sport to those of another, people from one state to those from another, and and and.... this list can go on forever.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
21-04-2012, 02:13 PM
(21-04-2012 01:55 PM)Dom Wrote:  People like to feel like they are better than other people. That's the root of all of it.

People need to let go of that shit. ... I mean if they really want to experience humanity and whatnot before they go. ... Otherwise it'd be like visiting the National Zoo and skipping the Great Ape House. What the fuck were you thinking? You had a shitty tour guide.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
21-04-2012, 03:01 PM
There is a lot of things that are said that are border line or beyond border line prejudice against people whether it is in regard of:

Sexual Preference
Religious Practice
Weight

Etc.

It has become too much a common practice to put a label on everything. This is why I am not a fan of stereotypes. Yet....more often than not we all still fall prey to them or some kind of bias because it is being taught.

We are really our own worst enemy.

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.
21-04-2012, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2012 04:05 PM by Antirepublican.)
(21-04-2012 12:50 PM)Anjele Wrote:  One of my dearest friends passed away two years ago, a main factor was her obesity. I worried about her as she got bigger and bigger and health issues more numerous over the years...she just couldn't control her eating even after gastric bypass.

That said, I am lucky to have weighed about the same for the last thirty years. A few pounds more after HS and having kids. It's genetics mainly. If I put on a few pounds I know exactly why and I can alter my eating habits to take it right back off.

I don't 'hate' overweight people but I often wonder why they don't do something about it. Don't flame me, I know there are a lot of things at play. But I would watch my friend eat massive amounts of food while complaining that she couldn't lose any weight. I often am puzzled as to how people let themselves get so big. There were women I worked with that spent the day eating at their desks and also had a lunch that would have fed me for a couple days. If I notice my weight going up or my clothes feeling tighter, I back off snacks first and I long ago stopped getting seconds at a meal.

A super-sized fast food meal with a diet soda isn't going to keep the weight off.
There are a lot of things, many legal, that are far worse for you than a super sized double quarter pounder meal... So, I find it quite hard to buy this whole "I am hating on them for their sake" load of malarkey.

Besides, how is it any of your business anyways? What makes you think you have the right to demonize these people for their choices? Who gave you the authority to tell these people how to live? If they want to live 60 years eating well, instead of 70 years eating tofu and pickles than that is their choice.

(21-04-2012 01:55 PM)Dom Wrote:  People like to feel like they are better than other people. That's the root of all of it.

One religion feels superior to the others, they all feel superior to atheists, the skinny feel superior to the fat, the white to the black, fans of one sport to those of another, people from one state to those from another, and and and.... this list can go on forever.
I think that is really what is happening, well said.

The thing is it doesn't explain why such behavior is allowed to take place within society.
American society is free to take pot shots at Fat people, and even atheist, with zero repressions.

(21-04-2012 03:01 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  There is a lot of things that are said that are border line or beyond border line prejudice against people whether it is in regard of:

Sexual Preference
Religious Practice
Weight

Etc.

It has become too much a common practice to put a label on everything. This is why I am not a fan of stereotypes. Yet....more often than not we all still fall prey to them or some kind of bias because it is being taught.

Except the stance on all those other things in that list are changing for the better....Meanwhile we laugh and tell the fatty to go exercise and stop eating cakes.
21-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Anti...
I watched my friend die mostly because of her eating and weight issues that resulted in heart trouble, worsened asthma, blood pressure issues and blood sugar problems. I am not hating on anybody...nor am I judging...I just know how bad the result can be. I am not demonizing anyone.

And it was my business with her...I didn't want her to be suffering the ill-effects because I loved her. I don't want anyone to.

And there is a whole range of dietary consumption that is between, as you call it, eating well, and living on tofu.

If I had had any 'authority' I would have stopped her from slowly killing herself. Had she suffered a drinking or drug problem or the like, I would have wanted to help her stop that too.

And, by the way, fuck you and your continual snarky attitude toward everybody and everything.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
21-04-2012, 04:56 PM
(21-04-2012 03:47 PM)Antirepublican Wrote:  
(21-04-2012 12:50 PM)Anjele Wrote:  One of my dearest friends passed away two years ago, a main factor was her obesity. I worried about her as she got bigger and bigger and health issues more numerous over the years...she just couldn't control her eating even after gastric bypass.

That said, I am lucky to have weighed about the same for the last thirty years. A few pounds more after HS and having kids. It's genetics mainly. If I put on a few pounds I know exactly why and I can alter my eating habits to take it right back off.

I don't 'hate' overweight people but I often wonder why they don't do something about it. Don't flame me, I know there are a lot of things at play. But I would watch my friend eat massive amounts of food while complaining that she couldn't lose any weight. I often am puzzled as to how people let themselves get so big. There were women I worked with that spent the day eating at their desks and also had a lunch that would have fed me for a couple days. If I notice my weight going up or my clothes feeling tighter, I back off snacks first and I long ago stopped getting seconds at a meal.

A super-sized fast food meal with a diet soda isn't going to keep the weight off.
There are a lot of things, many legal, that are far worse for you than a super sized double quarter pounder meal... So, I find it quite hard to buy this whole "I am hating on them for their sake" load of malarkey.

Besides, how is it any of your business anyways? What makes you think you have the right to demonize these people for their choices? Who gave you the authority to tell these people how to live? If they want to live 60 years eating well, instead of 70 years eating tofu and pickles than that is their choice.

I think that is really what is happening, well said.

The thing is it doesn't explain why such behavior is allowed to take place within society.
American society is free to take pot shots at Fat people, and even atheist, with zero repressions.

(21-04-2012 03:01 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  There is a lot of things that are said that are border line or beyond border line prejudice against people whether it is in regard of:

Sexual Preference
Religious Practice
Weight

Etc.

Except the stance on all those other things in that list are changing for the better....Meanwhile we laugh and tell the fatty to go exercise and stop eating cakes.
Depends on where you stand....personally make a habit not to speak of people's weight. Some have underlying health issues that make it more difficult for a number of them to lose weight. Not to mention the emotional baggage that they tend to carry. Heck in today's society you have to be a 0 or 2 to be appropriately sized. Sick....going to starve our world populous to death or make them eat themselves to such thinking that they are not worth dirt beneath another person's shoes.

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.
[+] 2 users Like AnotherSinner's post
21-04-2012, 05:28 PM
No one should be telling anyone how to live their life.

People eat double fried burger double portions or whatever, smoke, drink too much alcohol, are addicted to sugar, to carbs, chocolate, coffee, to jogging, to extreme sports, gambling, computer games, lying in the sun, you name it, someone is addicted to it. And all of it is unhealthy or destructive when done in excess.

But realize, you are not ever going to be able to understand what causes people to behave in certain ways, not will you ever be able to understand what you are doing to them when you interfere.

You are simply not wired the same way they are.

You think you are acting out of empathy, but in reality you cannot feel empathic with things that are alien to you. You are simply transferring your values to someone who does not or cannot share them.

If you really care, then help further research that actually can be of help to people.

There are all kinds of physical reasons for obesity, some of which we do know, most of which we do not.

It is easy for you to say: "look, I'd like a second helping too, but I don't eat it because it makes me fat". Well, you don't have the compulsion. If you did, this would not work for you. Will power can only dominate physical issues to a point.

I too have a friend who died from being obese - and not any possibly exacerbated diseases that were present in the first place. He simply died because he had so much weight pressing on his organs that they ceased to be able to function.

He fought obesity for all his life. He lived in constant fear, embarassment and guilt, and he was always completely driven by food. He was on every diet known to man and every time he lost a lot of weight, he would put it back on and then some. That was the story of his life. He got bigger and bigger and every diet worked at first and then made it worse. He had nutritionists, he had operations. The emotional turmoil was a lot worse than the physical problems. He had no life. He could not live on emotionally. He wanted to escape. The only escape was death. He was waiting for it for years.

I wonder what would have happened if he had never gone on a diet. If no one had been pounding on him to lose weight. For one, he would never have gotten that fat. When your body realizes that there are extended phases of starvation, it prepares itself for it and adds on extra pounds. He would also have been a much happier person. He would not have spent his life on a roller coaster of diets and failures. Food - the consumption of it and the lack of it - would not have dominated his every thought. I am quite sure he would still be alive.

So, please be careful and don't meddle with what you are not ever going to be able to understand. What works for you does not work for everyone. We are not all the same. Our bodies are not all the same.

Hopefully science will tell us some day just how fatties are wired differently from us. But meanwhile, let's refrain from making their lives a living hell by continually prodding them to be someone they can never be. It only makes the problem a lot worse.

I never understood what drove him to "overeat" so heavily in the first place. Science has not provided us with an answer for it, and we cannot empathize with what we don't understand. I do understand though how well meaning people drove him to a life where all he could ever think of was food.

I know one thing - meddling people made his life miserable and contributed to an untimely death.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-04-2012, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2012 05:54 PM by Anjele.)
Dom,
I don't think I am understanding correctly.

If my friend had had a severe problem with alcohol or narcotics and an intervention was set, would that be helping and done out of concern? I tend to think so.

But, watching someone close to you eat themselves to death because of a food addiction, and trying to help is meddling?

I know my friend had emotional issues...stemming back to being adopted and things forward. I get that. And no I don't have the overeating compulsion. I can't empathize, I have never been really overweight. But I don't think I was in the wrong to worry about my friend. And when I see overweight people, especially young ones...it bothers me because I don't want them to suffer the same fate as my friend.

Are you meddling when you care deeply for someone and you want them to be healthy?

I am confused.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
21-04-2012, 06:37 PM
I am a bit confused here too. More often than not, it is stated that people should care more. Which way is it?

[+] 3 users Like AnotherSinner's post
21-04-2012, 07:48 PM
I don't think fat people are hated in Australia in general.

Obesity can be very dangerous and my beef is really with the fast food outlets and their exploitation, especially of kids, and the way they work the kid's parents.
Drooling Laughat . Sadcryface2
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post