Why is it ok to hate fat people?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2012, 01:16 PM (This post was last modified: 25-04-2012 01:23 PM by Antirepublican.)
RE: Why is it ok to hate fat people?
(24-04-2012 09:54 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-04-2012 09:28 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I agree, but remember what I am addressing; the sarcastic, "got ya, we're just imagining it" statement from KC. There was no suggestion that it was imagined. I'm fairly confident that Ghost was addressing what was perceived, and how stereotyping can twist that perception.

Stereotypes exist because of observation? I would say that, in part, yes. But stereotypes don't work as an effective judgement tool because they skew what we observe.
No.

Fact - Fatty foods are a catalyst for being fat (not necessarily the reason, but a big contributor).
Fact - If you're fat, and you're eating fatty foods, you're getting fatter.
Fact - Skinny people eat fatty foods, but they don't get fat (variety of reasons from lifestyle to genetics).
Fact - The majority of fat people are fat because of their lifestyle and food choices.
Fact - You are more likely to be fat if you have poor eating habits.

Therefore, the stereotype that fat people stuff their face with fatty foods is based in good facts. There are a small portion of fat people that are fat because of medical reasons, though; but, more than likely, the stereotype is, indeed, true.

To say "No, you're just observing it" is a poor excuse.

If I come upon a scene of an accident, and I observe things, I can make a pretty strong conclusion as to what happened.

The guy stumbling around with a 40 in hand whose car is slammed into the side of a soccer mom's minivan more than likely caused the wreck. Now, the soccer mom was involved in the wreck, and she could have caused it, but it's unlikely based on my observation, deductive reasoning, and yes, stereotyping.
Your list of "Facts" merely prove you are a complete dumbass and utterly ignorant about the subject.

Quote:You people are so easy to derail.

Why is it ok to hate fat people? Because you can hate whoever the fuck you want for whatever reason you fucking want.

Doesn't
make it right, but it's ok. God knows I hate my fair share of people
for various reasons, none so shallow as someone's weight but it's hate
none the less.

Freedom of emotion. Is it ok to ridicule people
because of their weight? No. Not unless it's ok for them to punch you in
the face when you're done. Then it's cool. But those terms should be
agreed upon before beginning.
The question was
regarding the social aspects of hate. Of course any individual can hate
on anything for any number of reasons, but it is usually meet with a
good deal of scorn from society. In the case of fat people, and
arguably atheist, in the US that is not the case.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2012, 02:30 PM
(25-04-2012 01:16 PM)Antirepublican Wrote:  Your list of "Facts" merely prove you are a complete dumbass and utterly ignorant about the subject.

[Image: dog.jpg]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
25-04-2012, 02:38 PM
(25-04-2012 01:16 PM)Antirepublican Wrote:  Your list of "Facts" merely prove you are a complete dumbass and utterly ignorant about the subject.

The question was
regarding the social aspects of hate. Of course any individual can hate
on anything for any number of reasons, but it is usually meet with a
good deal of scorn from society. In the case of fat people, and
arguably atheist, in the US that is not the case.
Sometimes you can be really douchey. Like douchey beyond the crimes of several degrees of douchebaggery.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
25-04-2012, 07:26 PM
(25-04-2012 02:30 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

[Image: dog.jpg]
Hopefully you open a book that's dated in this millennium and actually read it.
Otherwise you will go throughout your entire life quoting stereotypes as facts.
25-04-2012, 08:17 PM
(25-04-2012 01:08 PM)Ghost Wrote:  That's why it's funny. Not because the stereotype is true, but because
it is not true. Comedy works by either
playing up the
stereotype
, or
playing against the
stereotype
I'm glad you pointed this out. I hear a lot of peeps...usually White and in shape...say, well comedians make fun of stereotypes so it must be ok. As you said, the humor is in the juxtaposition of reality and stereotype. Ok, so you didn't say juxtaposition, but I haven't used that word in years and felt it was due.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
25-04-2012, 10:56 PM (This post was last modified: 25-04-2012 11:01 PM by Mr Woof.)
Facts aren't panaceas. In logical arguments the argument ...... (all)Fat people are lazy/ John is fat/ therefore John is lazy is invalid as John may be a lazy animal (or one of more counts).....or All fat people eat to excess/ Mary eats to excess/ therefore Mary is a fat person also indicates a causal factor not necessarily relevant in Mary's case, as the generalization (all) is just a generalization.

The classic argument.... All swans are white/this bird is a swan /therefore this bird is white, was valid deductively till black swans were discovered in Australia.

There are also problems with inductive reasoning where tests are carried out scientifically and consistency in results is seen as factual rather than as an hypothesis with a strong degree of probablity.

For example a case study may show that formula xq5 is highly affective in treating obesity over numerous case studies and over several years by breaking up calories in the body, thus making people look slimmer, may not be as good as it sounds for many reasons (side effects, patient incompatibility, and a host of other variables)

'Facts', even lots of them, along with sound logic may not provide all the answers required to stereotype specific groups
on their (the facts) limited basis. This is not to say that we should not endeavour to stabilise and correct perceived inadequacies by ourselves, and others, through common sense, not self or other people hatred inspired stereotypes
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
26-04-2012, 01:25 AM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2012 01:48 AM by Mr Woof.)
(24-04-2012 05:15 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(24-04-2012 05:01 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Blacks are criminals.
Jews are cheap.
Yanks are fucking stupid.
Indians are drunks.
Women can't drive.
Italians are in the mafia.
Just playing devils advocate.

Black criminals - Prison population and arrest records indicated that a far greater number of blacks percentage wise commit crimes. Obviously there are socioeconomic issues at work here but that's where the sterotype comes from. Sort of a 'most criminals are black but most blacks are not criminals' thing.

Cheap Jews - Can't speak to this. I don't think I know a Jew.

Stupid yanks - Compared to what? This could be either very true or very false depending on what you are comparing us to. I happen to think I'm pretty smart.

Indians are drunks - I lived in Washington for 4 years and there are a lot of Native Americans there (unless you mean Asian Indians) and tons of people I know have commented on the alcohol consumption of Indians. Especially the ones that live on the reservation.

Women drivers - Danica Patrick is the only recent female driver in racing and she is horrible. Is that a telling statistic? No. But IMO it's the same as saying women can't play football. There is probably some truth there.

Italian mob - Again, most mobsters are Italian but most Italians are not mobsters. However, in a lineup of 10 different ethnicities you'd statistically have a better chance of picking out the mobster by picking the Italian guy.

IMO statistic based profiling isn't stereotyping.
IMO statistic based profiling isn't necessarily hard line stereotyping,but as a consideration, human nature being as it is, often will be destructively used as a tool of manipulation by some clever people, and thus have a snow balling negative effect on society per se.
I am not advocating a nanny state, simply that more smart people show a bit more altruism in some cases. I realize its all a bit of a vicious circle. Unsure

Hey G.M .Iv'e gone back to my 4v 5 wines a night, missed the evening socializing with my wife, also I put on a kilo (2lb) in a week.......guess that makes me a stereotyepal mild alkie?????

Hey Erx.....that you in the pic?......looks more risque than fat.
26-04-2012, 07:39 AM
Sup, Erxomai?

That was a perfectly cromulent use of the word juxtaposition Cool

Tell those people they're wrong. It's not OK. Imagine the following monologue delivered with a straight face:

Man, niggers sure are stupid. And what about Jews? Too bad the holocaust didn't finish them off. And Arabs. We should just kill them. My wife complained the other night when I raped her. Stupid whore. My neighbour is a fat fuck. Good night everybody!

I'm pretty sure it would go over like a lead balloon.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
26-04-2012, 07:45 AM
(26-04-2012 07:39 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Man, niggers sure are stupid. And what about Jews? Too bad the holocaust didn't finish them off. And Arabs. We should just kill them. My wife complained the other night when I raped her. Stupid whore. My neighbour is a fat fuck. Good night everybody!
I know a thousand people who could say that with a straight face. Because they are serious.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
26-04-2012, 07:51 AM
(26-04-2012 07:39 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Tell those people they're wrong. It's not OK. Imagine the following monologue delivered with a straight face:

Man, niggers sure are stupid. And what about Jews? Too bad the holocaust didn't finish them off. And Arabs. We should just kill them. My wife complained the other night when I raped her. Stupid whore. My neighbour is a fat fuck. Good night everybody!
No one was saying that would be okay. In my opinion, it is the intention that matters. If I mean something as a joke I know that. If someone gets offended by my jesting then I don't really care. It is the same as religious people getting offended by a criticism of their faith. They have every right to be offended, but that doesn't mean that you have to take their feelings into account.

Sure, I can seem like an asshole when I say things like that, but I really don't care. Either any topic is okay to joke about or no topic is. I don't actually mean what I say, it is all for the sake of humour. I very rarely say anything serious, but when someone tries to say there is something that I can't joke about then I get (mildly) serious. Freedom of speech is a bitch for some people.

Oh, and my neighbour IS a fat fuck. Tongue

[Image: opforum1.png]