Why is it ok to hate fat people?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2012, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2012 10:54 AM by Anjele.)
RE: Why is it ok to hate fat people?
(26-04-2012 08:22 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(26-04-2012 08:12 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Frankiej : (to some random black guy) Hey there nigger. What's goin on ya Alabama porch monkey!

Random Black Guy : um, dude...not cool

F : oh it's ok, I'm just joking. Where's your sense of humor boy?

RBG : I don't find it funny when you call me those things, even if you are joking.

F: I don't care. I think it's funny, and I can say it because free speech says so.

And you think this is ok?? And do you really think that either any topic is ok to joke about or none are?
I have heard some dumb shit before, but that one is right up there with, "the bible is true because the bible says so." Do you think the, "I don't care what anyone thinks as long as I know that I'm joking" attitude will get you anywhere?

When you make someone feel like shit, it DOES matter.
That's a pretty extreme case. Most people don't lack that kind of sense. A more reasonable scenario would be calling a fat guy name Mike, Big Mike. Mike might not care much for being called 'big' all the time since he is sensetive about his weight. But he sucks it up because he knows that the people calling him that are his friends and don't really care about how big he is. Big Mike just sounds like a good nickname for a big guy named Mike.
My baby brother was 6'6" (taller now) and weighed 280 in HS. He played football and wrestled. In our hometown paper they ALWAYS referred to him in sports stories as "Big Mark ********". Ya know why...cause he was/is BIG. He is over a foot taller than I am and is over double my weight. If he holds his arm out at shoulder height,I can walk under it. He ducks instinctively everywhere he goes to miss door jams and ceiling fans. I don't see him often and it is still a little startling. And he isn't out of shape, he works out a lot since he works in corrections. He is just a really big man. There's no malice in saying he is or calling him big, it's an apt description.

Adding...he calls me Dwarf...I am not insulted. Next to him, I am.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2012, 11:04 AM
(26-04-2012 10:26 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(26-04-2012 07:51 AM)frankiej Wrote:  Oh, and my neighbour IS a fat fuck. Tongue
See, that's funny.

But, what about the guy you know nothing about that you see getting on the bus walking toward your seat. ("I sure hope that fat fuck doesn't sit by me.") That seems less funny and much more hateful, even if you never say it outloud to the fat fuck.

Woof...I'm not that slender. That was for Girly and his Fundoshi Fetish. Big Grin
Yet I can't see a white comedian getting away with saying, "there is a nigger next door".

See the difference? Its perfectly fine, socially speaking, to be anit-fat, but not racist.
26-04-2012, 11:09 AM
(26-04-2012 11:04 AM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
(26-04-2012 10:26 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  See, that's funny.

But, what about the guy you know nothing about that you see getting on the bus walking toward your seat. ("I sure hope that fat fuck doesn't sit by me.") That seems less funny and much more hateful, even if you never say it outloud to the fat fuck.

Woof...I'm not that slender. That was for Girly and his Fundoshi Fetish. Big Grin
Yet I can't see a white comedian getting away with saying, "there is a nigger next door".

See the difference? Its perfectly fine, socially speaking, to be anit-fat, but not racist.
Yeah, I get your original thought. It's interesting how this thread has ended up focusing more on racism than upon Fatism.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
26-04-2012, 11:36 AM
(21-04-2012 12:50 PM)Anjele Wrote:  One of my dearest friends passed away two years ago, a main factor was her obesity. I worried about her as she got bigger and bigger and health issues more numerous over the years...she just couldn't control her eating even after gastric bypass.

That said, I am lucky to have weighed about the same for the last thirty years. A few pounds more after HS and having kids. It's genetics mainly. If I put on a few pounds I know exactly why and I can alter my eating habits to take it right back off.

I don't 'hate' overweight people but I often wonder why they don't do something about it. Don't flame me, I know there are a lot of things at play. But I would watch my friend eat massive amounts of food while complaining that she couldn't lose any weight. I often am puzzled as to how people let themselves get so big. There were women I worked with that spent the day eating at their desks and also had a lunch that would have fed me for a couple days. If I notice my weight going up or my clothes feeling tighter, I back off snacks first and I long ago stopped getting seconds at a meal.

A super-sized fast food meal with a diet soda isn't going to keep the weight off.

sounds like she was an addict, and food was her drug of choice.

Heart Be good for goodness sake!
26-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Sup, Erxomai?

Quote:But, what about the guy you know nothing about that you see getting on the bus walking toward your seat. ("I sure hope that fat fuck doesn't sit by me.") That seems less funny and much more hateful, even if you never say it outloud to the fat fuck.

The silent hoping would be prejudice. Not letting him sit would be discrimination.

Quote:It's interesting how this thread has ended up focusing more on racism than upon Fatism.

I think it's natural. Stereotyping, prejudice and discrimination are never acceptable. Unfortunately sometimes they're accepted. As the OP suggested, it's accepted vs fat people. It was accepted vs black people once but we have since deconstructed the ideology that fueled that belief and moved past it; at least popularly (I'm lookin at you satan69). It's important to draw parallels to racism because it's clear not just that racism is unacceptable but WHY it's unacceptable. Many people simply don't understand why fatism is unacceptable. We have to deconstruct the ideology that fuels that acceptance so we can move beyond it too.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 4 users Like Ghost's post
26-04-2012, 12:14 PM
(26-04-2012 12:11 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Sup, Erxomai?

Quote:But, what about the guy you know nothing about that you see getting on the bus walking toward your seat. ("I sure hope that fat fuck doesn't sit by me.") That seems less funny and much more hateful, even if you never say it outloud to the fat fuck.

The silent hoping would be prejudice. Not letting him sit would be discrimination.

Quote:It's interesting how this thread has ended up focusing more on racism than upon Fatism.

I think it's natural. Stereotyping, prejudice and discrimination are never acceptable. Unfortunately sometimes they're accepted. As the OP suggested, it's accepted vs fat people. It was accepted vs black people once but we have since deconstructed the ideology that fueled that belief and moved past it; at least popularly (I'm lookin at you satan69). It's important to draw parallels to racism because it's clear not just that racism is unacceptable but WHY it's unacceptable. Many people simply don't understand why fatism is unacceptable. We have to deconstruct the ideology that fuels that acceptance so we can move beyond it too.

Matt
This seems very important:
Quote: We have to deconstruct the ideology that fuels that acceptance so we can move beyond it too.

Too bad satan69 was banned before he got to see you lookin at him. Laughat

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
26-04-2012, 03:58 PM
ok I think I really don't care if he is banned by now. I found his answer to my long, and thought through comment, very rude and I will answer to it because I can, and because I want to!!
(22-04-2012 07:09 AM)satan69 Wrote:  leela,you have it backwards. smokers are vile worthless trash because they blow their carcinogens in your face, and think they have a right to do it. you should tell them- i hope you get cancer and die a slow fucking death. fat people dont hurt you. they hurt themselves. if you see a fat person at mcdonalds, you have no right to tell them anything. they arent bothering you. people have a right to destroy themselves as long as they dont hurt you. its the libertarian way. you must be a obama fan. trying to run everyones life and tell them you know better. like those fat slobs dr phil and michelle obama trying to give diet advice. the nerve of that fat cunt michelle trying to tell us what we have to eat. she is a fat fucking slob, and of course being a democrat, thinks she knows whats best for us.
1. No, smokers are not vile worthless trash. They are addicted! Everyone addicted is selfish in those matters and it is difficult to quit an addiction when you don't really want to. And I would never be rude like that. I would voice concerns or poke a bit, and that only to people I care for.
2. Good that someone who doesn't know me tells me what politician I like. Especially what American politician I like. In fact I hate politics and I don't care about Obama at all, I am not even from America.
3. I am not at all trying to run anybodies life. The one and only person who has a monopole on me caring about him is my husband, I think he doesn't mind me voicing my concerns about his health or smoking habits, because he knows I mean well.
4. I will ignore the rest of that hate speech...

k done, thanks for the attention
make love, not war

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
26-04-2012, 05:03 PM
(26-04-2012 12:11 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Sup, Erxomai?

Matt
Ghost, I do not see the silent hope of an obese person not sitting next to me on a tram as prejudice.....rather self preservation.

I once has a grossly obese women sit next to me, her knee in my belly, one enormous boob obscuring my vision, while her burger juice and bits of onion dripped onto my clothes.

Yes I am prejudiced against this happening, especially on a long flight, but hold no grudge or hatred towards the potential perpetrator.
26-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Hey, Woof.

That's a perfect example of an anecdotal experience (big boob burger lady) becoming the basis for a stereotype (all fat people are gonna block my view and stink like onions). The prejudice is when you see one coming towards you and you judge them without knowing them (oh great, it's boobonion time). But you have no actual reason to believe that fat person B will be like fat person A. You are prejudging them before you know a thing about them. What if they're riotously funny? What if she turns out to be your soul mate? Granted, maybe they're an axe murderer, who knows? But that's the point. To make a determination about someone based solely on their group's stereotype is prejudicial. If you institute a ban on fat people, well then that's discrimination.

Matt
26-04-2012, 06:38 PM

Funny or offensive?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain