Why is it ok to hate fat people?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2012, 11:12 AM
RE: Why is it ok to hate fat people?
(22-04-2012 10:33 AM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  
(22-04-2012 07:38 AM)Raven Wrote:  My best friend in the world who is like a sister to me is obese and I don't think it's okay to make fun of or to hate fat people. She was essentially born without a functioning thyroid. She's tried every diet out there and even considered weight loss surgery but she's afraid to do it because her mother died from gastric bypass surgery after developing a postoperative infection.

On the other hand, my parents and my husband's parents who are very deeply religious have a deep seated hatred for fat people. I have to endure their criticism of the overweight women in their church every time we go over for Sunday lunch. My brother was upset two weeks ago over a woman who gained 50 pounds in her last pregnancy and is pregnant again now before losing the pregnancy weight. WHAT BUSINESS IS IT OF HIS? He and my mother view being fat as the sin of gluttony. My in-laws hate fat people so much and found it to be a personal failure on their part that my sister-in-law was overweight that they pressured her into lap-band surgery last year. She had to have the device removed when she nearly died from the band slipping and eroding her esophagus. Now she has to go back in for more surgery as her incision continues to open up and get infected. All this because of religion. It sickens me that they couldn't teach their daughter to love herself no matter what weight she was. Angry
Raven,
While my parents are not overly religious, they both are Christians as is my family. However, there are times in which I am truly ashamed of my father's behavior.
There are times he will make crude comments about another person's weight. Sometimes, I have literally had to bite my tongue to keep myself from saying "Yeah, look in the mirror dad." Both of my parents are a little over weight. A lot of it....I blame on their lack of healthy choices.
As another stated on here: Some just do not take the time out to cook healthy meals.
My parents practically live on television dinners or carry out.
Does this make them any less human? No...but it sure does get under my skin when I see some of my friends who are battling with their weight dieting, working out, and about anything that they can under the sun to get their weight under control.
It is sad too...because I can almost hear my dad making one of his derogatory remarks in the back of my head and wanting to shake my head. Where does this sort of thinking come from honestly?
With the growing trend of being stick figure thin...how is it we have many people becoming the exact opposite?

Yes my in-laws are slightly overweight but they tend to be hypocritical about most of their Christian beliefs so why not about obese people as well. They look down on overweight people, sick people, poor people, etc....They see any problem that someone has is a direct result of "sin" in their lives. I don't see them living the life of love and acceptance that their savior Jesus supposedly modeled. I have a lot of compasion for overweight people as I said because of best friend. Sometimes she's afraid to go to the mall because she knows people stare at her. It's not right but for some reason society thinks it's acceptable to hate these people and ridicule them no matter the reason for their weight. I don't think you should judge anyone until you've been in their situation. I just wish my parents and in-laws would practice what they preach. Angry
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Raven's post
22-04-2012, 11:30 AM
(22-04-2012 11:12 AM)Raven Wrote:  
(22-04-2012 10:33 AM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  Raven,
While my parents are not overly religious, they both are Christians as is my family. However, there are times in which I am truly ashamed of my father's behavior.
There are times he will make crude comments about another person's weight. Sometimes, I have literally had to bite my tongue to keep myself from saying "Yeah, look in the mirror dad." Both of my parents are a little over weight. A lot of it....I blame on their lack of healthy choices.
As another stated on here: Some just do not take the time out to cook healthy meals.
My parents practically live on television dinners or carry out.
Does this make them any less human? No...but it sure does get under my skin when I see some of my friends who are battling with their weight dieting, working out, and about anything that they can under the sun to get their weight under control.
It is sad too...because I can almost hear my dad making one of his derogatory remarks in the back of my head and wanting to shake my head. Where does this sort of thinking come from honestly?
With the growing trend of being stick figure thin...how is it we have many people becoming the exact opposite?

Yes my in-laws are slightly overweight but they tend to be hypocritical about most of their Christian beliefs so why not about obese people as well. They look down on overweight people, sick people, poor people, etc....They see any problem that someone has is a direct result of "sin" in their lives. I don't see them living the life of love and acceptance that their savior Jesus supposedly modeled. I have a lot of compasion for overweight people as I said because of best friend. Sometimes she's afraid to go to the mall because she knows people stare at her. It's not right but for some reason society thinks it's acceptable to hate these people and ridicule them no matter the reason for their weight. I don't think you should judge anyone until you've been in their situation. I just wish my parents and in-laws would practice what they preach. Angry
Sounds like your family is falling into a false doctrine. While the choice to sin can yield the results of suffering that is not always the case. Then I am not going to preach to you Raven.I am simply going to agree with you on this because honestly, I do.

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.
22-04-2012, 11:38 AM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2012 12:41 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-04-2012 10:56 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Hey Satan try not being a dumbass for like maybe... A post or two.

At least take a lesson from Egor, Santa, and throw a couple of benign posts in between your noxious bullshit. ... Goddam racist.

(22-04-2012 08:53 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(22-04-2012 07:55 AM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  At my age i have found myself gaining weight and just hate it. I do all I can to try to keep it off. I never eat any carryout. I eat only low fat foods. Whole grain and small portions. I try not to eat to many carbs. I cant remember the last time I have eat a potato. I don't eat chips (crisp for the UK people) and never anything fried. Yet I still gain weight very slowly. I feel it is a loosing battle. It just is my genetics and no matter how much I fight it I will gain weight. I am in no way obsessed but I would be 25 lbs over weight or 2 stone. How can someone look at me and just hate the sight of me. If anyone knows how I can loose my weight please tell me. I walk as much as I can. I am disabled and even walking causes great pain.

I'd suggest trying hormones. As you get older there is allot of muscle wasting which can reduce quality of life. Some people go through andropause which can cause issues with bone density as well. Building muscle mass can help get those cellular repair mechanisms working again.

Muscles burn energy even when you aren't using them. You'd be surprised what a difference balancing hormone levels can do. Those things can go out of whack as you get older. Most joint pain and even arthritis pain can be significantly reduced by building stronger muscles (within reason - and depends on the kind of arthritis).

Testosterone does work to increase lean body mass even in the absence of exercise which, as DeepThought indicates, will increase your basal metabolic rate and make weight loss or maintenance easier. My doc believes that testosterone replacement therapy should be a first line medication for type 2 diabetic men assuming that the patient's testosterone level is in the lower quartile of even tertile range. (And virtually all type 2 diabetics fit this profile or are even below range like I was.) But if your testosterone levels are already mid or upper range, raising it further comes with its own side effects and you are unlikely to find a legitimate doc to use it therapeutically.

As for non-sex hormones, like leptin and ghrelin, we have established that obese patients are leptin-resistant. Once we learn how to properly manipulate those hormones obesity management will become much easier.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
22-04-2012, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2012 11:54 AM by Antirepublican.)
(21-04-2012 07:53 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I find it difficult to hate on "fat people" because they make up the majority of the Western population. Do I think that people who are overweight because they eat too much are gluttonous, selfish, and greedy? Yes. Do I hate them? No.
I would hardly stereotype the western population as being "fat".

The US's stance on obesity really is a fairly low bar.
http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/defining.html

Definitions for Adults

For adults, overweight and obesity ranges are determined by
using weight and height to calculate a number called the "body
mass index" (BMI). BMI is used because, for most people, it
correlates with their amount of body fat.
  • An adult who has a BMI between 25 and 29.9 is considered overweight.
  • An adult who has a BMI of 30 or higher is considered obese.
See the following table for an example

Height Weight Range BMI Considered
--------- 124 lbs or less Below 18.5 Underweight
5' 9" --- 125 lbs to 168 lbs 18.5 to 24.9 Healthy weight
--------- 169 lbs to 202 lbs 25.0 to 29.9 Overweight
--------- 203 lbs or more 30 or higher Obese

There are no different categories for men and women. This in itself makes the table seem ridiculous...
Muscle weighs more than fat, another factor that is completely ignored.
Also, how the hell is 125 lbs healthy weight for a male at that height? That seems extremely underweight for a grown man.

It all seems like a load of BS to me... Its like a remake of reefer madness.
22-04-2012, 11:51 AM
I don't hate, but I do condemn fat people as I condemn smokers.

Some cannot help it--I know. However, the majority can. Being fat shows you are a lazy bastard. Now I know some idiot here is going to take this as a statement of absolutes, so let me fix this real fast. Some people cannot help it because of disease and/or medical related injuries. I know that. As far as the others are concerned, lazy, fat, bastards.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
22-04-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm obese.

Just sayin'

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
22-04-2012, 12:14 PM
(22-04-2012 11:48 AM)Antirepublican Wrote:  
(21-04-2012 07:53 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I find it difficult to hate on "fat people" because they make up the majority of the Western population. Do I think that people who are overweight because they eat too much are gluttonous, selfish, and greedy? Yes. Do I hate them? No.
I would hardly stereotype the western population as being "fat".

The US's stance on obesity really is a fairly low bar.
http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/defining.html

Definitions for Adults

For adults, overweight and obesity ranges are determined by
using weight and height to calculate a number called the "body
mass index" (BMI). BMI is used because, for most people, it
correlates with their amount of body fat.
  • An adult who has a BMI between 25 and 29.9 is considered overweight.
  • An adult who has a BMI of 30 or higher is considered obese.
See the following table for an example

Height Weight Range BMI Considered
--------- 124 lbs or less Below 18.5 Underweight
5' 9" --- 125 lbs to 168 lbs 18.5 to 24.9 Healthy weight
--------- 169 lbs to 202 lbs 25.0 to 29.9 Overweight
--------- 203 lbs or more 30 or higher Obese

There are no different categories for men and women. This in itself makes the table seem ridiculous...
Muscle weighs more than fat, another factor that is completely ignored.
Also, how the hell is 125 lbs healthy weight for a male at that height? That seems extremely underweight for a grown man.

It all seems like a load of BS to me... Its like a remake of reefer madness.
That either makes me just borderline underweight or around the healthy zone.

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.
22-04-2012, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2012 12:38 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-04-2012 11:51 AM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  I don't hate, but I do condemn fat people as I condemn smokers.

Some cannot help it--I know. However, the majority can. Being fat shows you are a lazy bastard. Now I know some idiot here is going to take this as a statement of absolutes, so let me fix this real fast. Some people cannot help it because of disease and/or medical related injuries. I know that. As far as the others are concerned, lazy, fat, bastards.

You're not a big believer in biochemistry, huh. I mean fuck science, stereotyping is so much more fun. ... I'm starting to think you are pretty vacuous.

(22-04-2012 12:08 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm obese.
Just sayin'

But that's not why we hate you. Tongue

(22-04-2012 07:55 AM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  If anyone knows how I can loose my weight please tell me. I walk as much as I can. I am disabled and even walking causes great pain.

Can you do upper body exercises without pain? Seated dumbbell curls, presses, shrugs, triceps extensions? Build big ass arms if you can't work on the legs because of pain. I work with a parapalegic in a wheelchair and that's what he does.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
22-04-2012, 01:25 PM
S69, wow. You really are a filthy piece of shit arencha?

NEOhio, hey man. I'm not suggesting that this is a solution to your problem, but just a possibility. Look into what fat really does in the body whe you consume it. Also, look a little deeper into whole grains.

Eating fat doesn't always mean your body will increase it's fat reserves. Fat is a healthy, necessary part of the diet, and especially so for people like us who suffer from arthritis. We've been fed a lot of crap about fat in the last few decades, and it's going to take a while to overcome the bullshit. They pound it into our heads the day we start school about how eating fat makes you fat, how cholesterol clogs your arteries, and so on. Much of it is a farce.

As for whole grains....think natural. We are simply not designed (hee hee, see what I did there?) to digest whole grains. In fact there are few animals that are. Mostly, birds are the only animals that will eat whole grains if given the choice. I'm not saying don't eat them, but definitely look at how your body really uses them and how much you eat.

Like most omnivores, humans digestive systems are evolved to eat the easy to digest foods. Mainly, fruits, vegetables, and meat (including the animal fat that comes with it) Not seeds and grains. Bthere is research that suggests eating vegetable oils is actually bad for you. I wouldn't call it conclusive, but it does make sense. There is nothing natural about squeezing the oil out of canola plants then eating it.

It's really just touching on the basics, and somewhat sensationalized, but watch the movie "Fat Head". If nothing else it'll get you looking deeper into what a "healthy diet" really is.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
22-04-2012, 02:01 PM
why obesity isnt genetic in most cass: in the 1950's americans were the healthiest in the world and now we are the fattest.evolution of genes doesnt work that fast. its a direct relation to lifestyle. fast food on every corner, internet, video games, kids just arent active like we were as kids and adults either. we facebook all day, surf the net constantly.who has time to even walk to the video store to rent a flix. we just download it. this trend will continue for the worse.we are at the point now where you could get everything done from your laptop.