• 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2011, 09:21 AM

Why is it that creationist are trying to disprove evolution
Do they know that if they succeed, it doesn't prove creationism anyway?Smile
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like digitali's post
04-08-2011, 09:57 AM
RE: Why is it that creationist are trying to disprove evolution
Because they see evolution as a threat to their beleifs so are attempting to destroy it (and failing at it) instead of trying to understand it.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like FSM_scot's post
05-08-2011, 10:33 AM
In their logic , it does.

That's because they KNOW they are right. We atheists merely THINK we're right about our questioning of faith. That's what being a fundamentalist lunatic is about; absolute certitude.

The fact that this knowledge comes from absurd logic and circular reasoning is merely a detail. So, since their faith is a certitude that can't be touched, proving or disproving a pesky hypothesis or theory doesn't change anything about their belief in unicorns and comfortable whale bellies.

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
[+] 2 users Like Thammuz's post
05-08-2011, 11:42 AM
I don't think they're trying to disprove it, their approach is to simply pooh-pooh it. You don't need to disprove something when you already know it's a lie. Their arguments for disproof are pretty weak, as they would have to be, so they just throw out a few & head straight for "well duh! It's not god's word!"

Every time you say you don't believe, Jesus rips the wings off a fairy. - SkepticalParenting.com
[+] 1 user Likes EvilMomLady's post
05-08-2011, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2011 02:38 PM by Peterkin.)
I'm not sure they hope to disprove evolution convincingly. I think the various bogus-to-downright-silly opposing arguments and 'proofs' are meant only to reduce the issue to manageable size. They - at least, the more literate leadership - know that evolution is a well-founded, coherent, superbly documented and ever-growing body of knowledge... but the rank and file they're leading by the nose do not know this. So the leadership latches on to the word theory in order to drag it down to a level of perception where it's open to attack. Then they borrow the word science and tack it onto a ridiculous "intelligent design theory" - as if the two 'theories' had equal validity. The objective is not to convince the faithful or sway the secular, but to obfuscate the issue in the public media and political discourse.

Or did you mean, why attack evolution at all?
Because their entire damned-until-we-dip-you-in-a-river power structure rests on original sin. Evolution made mincemeat of the idea that sin could have originated at any specific moment in human development.... and if we're animals, does "sin" even have any meaning?l

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
05-08-2011, 03:30 PM
(05-08-2011 02:16 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  I'm not sure they hope to disprove evolution convincingly. I think the various bogus-to-downright-silly opposing arguments and 'proofs' are meant only to reduce the issue to manageable size. They - at least, the more literate leadership - know that evolution is a well-founded, coherent, superbly documented and ever-growing body of knowledge... but the rank and file they're leading by the nose do not know this. So the leadership latches on to the word theory in order to drag it down to a level of perception where it's open to attack. Then they borrow the word science and tack it onto a ridiculous "intelligent design theory" - as if the two 'theories' had equal validity. The objective is not to convince the faithful or sway the secular, but to obfuscate the issue in the public media and political discourse.

Or did you mean, why attack evolution at all?
Because their entire damned-until-we-dip-you-in-a-river power structure rests on original sin. Evolution made mincemeat of the idea that sin could have originated at any specific moment in human development.... and if we're animals, does "sin" even have any meaning?l

I am sure that that is all true at some level. I am sure that most of them believe that what they are doing is true and honest and right. I base this on my own experience as a Christian. I became an agnostic because the whole structure I had built up was just weighing down on me and the only way I could look at objectively was to stop going to Church. I spent the next twenty years trying to sift through all the different arguments and get on with my life. I reckon if you are in the middle of it you are just too busy working for Jesus to look at oneself in the mirror and see the liar that one has become.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-08-2011, 04:31 PM
That's interesting.
Seems like a modern problem, though, for Christians to worry about evolution. Back in my youth, it wasn't much of an issue, even for priests (at least for the hip young and wise old priest i happened to know fairly well). If anyone asked, most priests and nearly all ministers said: Genesis is an allegory; a day can represent millions of years. No big fights about the teaching of science in school, no hassles about literature and history curricula. It wasn't all so damn political and strident back then. My religious contemporaries were not told to disbelieve the obvious or take up sides in a battle. Could be why so many stayed with their churches.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
07-08-2011, 05:22 PM
want to hear something funny?

When i was younger i thought everyone believed that evolution was real and was facted, i never met anyone who disagreed.

it was only untill i was 12 in My R.E class i found out that nutjobs didnt ;/

"In real life , as opposed to that happy, clappy, rainbow fantasy world that you see fit to fly through on your winged unicorn of delusion" - Mitchell and Webb
07-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Quote:When i was younger i thought everyone believed that evolution was real and was facted, i never met anyone who disagreed.

So did i. To this day i have only met one person who thought evolution was a lie.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
08-08-2011, 12:38 PM
I never met anyone who doesn't believe in evolution. Not in RL. But that is because I live in 90% Roman-Catholic country, and Roman-Catholics do believe in evolution, science, astronomy, geography... Actually, here on my island we have some very old monasteries that were astronomical stations with old telescopes, now they are turned into museums. It was just a couple of years ago that I first heard of Creationists in USA and I was amazed and terrified at the same time when I heard they are for real. I mean, I still can not comprehend all that BS they are preaching and when I think that George Bush Jr. is one of them and he ruled the most powerful nation in the world for 8 years, it becomes really terrifying. I don't know what will I do if I ever meet anyone in RL, I am afraid I beat him senseless... Just kidding, of course, but their ideas do get me very mad and angry.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post