Why is it that creationist are trying to disprove evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2015, 06:58 AM
RE: Why is it that creationist are trying to disprove evolution
(12-11-2015 06:57 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 06:45 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I understand your point. As you probably know already, most theist don't rely too heavily on evidence. Unfortunately I am no exception. TongueSmile

Unfortunate is right Undecided Your faith is not shaken by these kinds of questions?
NopeBlush

It's ok. Like I said, I am not on this forum to change anyone's position. I enjoy the discussions though.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2015, 07:18 AM
(11-11-2015 05:49 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I know it sounded like a rhetorical "throwaway" line, when I said I don't understand what's so hard to grasp about evolution, but I really mean that. It's plainly, blatantly, unquestionably true. Quite literally in the first week of any course on genetics, you learn to mathematically demonstrate that, in any reproducing population, the gene frequency will change with every generation, and that this will result in a "new" gene pool each generation, meaning evolution is (again, literally) mathematically inevitable.

What I think harms people is they only teach genetics in highschool with a brief lesson about Mendel and the Punnet square, which of course involves only two parents producing a group of offspring, which unfortunately gives students the impression that genetics is only about individuals breeding, rather than populations. Once you understand how population genetics functions, I cannot grasp how anyone could argue against it... especially when you get into the specifics of how DNA operates and why we know certain heritable sequences point to common ancestry.
So... Basically it is like this?

https://youtu.be/BL9S-TUikfg

Sarcasm. I love it.
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
12-11-2015, 07:39 AM
(12-11-2015 06:58 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I am not on this forum to change anyone's position.

I get that. I just don't get how your own does not change. You must be daily running into stuff that doesn't fit with traditional Christian views, such as evolution. I mean, it's not unique - we've had others who're similar... still baffles me though.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
12-11-2015, 08:13 AM
(12-11-2015 07:39 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 06:58 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I am not on this forum to change anyone's position.

I get that. I just don't get how your own does not change. You must be daily running into stuff that doesn't fit with traditional Christian views, such as evolution. I mean, it's not unique - we've had others who're similar... still baffles me though.
Well...I guess for me personally, I have no personal reason not to believe in God. There is absolutely no benefit for me to reject God. I am no scientist where the credibility of my research is in question based on the existence of God. I am perfectly comfortable living my life around the teachings of Jesus. I don't push my beliefs on others or try to force them to change their lives. So why shouldn't I believe in God?

Now I have seen plenty of evidence from secular sources that supports the claims in the bible. Yes, there are plenty of evidence that supports the opposite. But I heard both sides and came to the conclusion for myself that God exists. The great majority of opposing statements that I have heard on this forum are things that I have heard or questioned myself. Part of the reason why I am non-denominational is because I chose the question the bible. I chose to question the church doctrine. The bible actually commands Christians to test scripture and to test the church and their leaders. The only thing it says not to do is put God to the test. This does not mean "don't question God" like many Christians claim. That only feeds ignorance. Rather it simply means don't say " God, if you are real you will do this.".

I believe the reason why the bible encourages it's followers to test scripture and the church is not only to identify false prophets but also because when you question the bible and search for the answers your faith will be strengthened. That what happened to me.

Now I am not accusing anyone here that they did not do their research. It is obvious that most have. You have seen the evidence presented from both sides and have came to your own conclusions just as I have.
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
12-11-2015, 08:25 AM
(12-11-2015 08:13 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  So why shouldn't I believe in God?

I don't claim that there's a *benefit*. Just that... for myself I think that I haven't got a *choice* about belief. The stuff that's put forward as evidence is highly not convincing. It feels like lies. I don't understand why it doesn't feel like lies to you.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
12-11-2015, 08:27 AM
(12-11-2015 08:25 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 08:13 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  So why shouldn't I believe in God?

I don't claim that there's a *benefit*. Just that... for myself I think that I haven't got a *choice* about belief. The stuff that's put forward as evidence is highly not convincing. It feels like lies. I don't understand why it doesn't feel like lies to you.
Please give me an example of something you felt was a lie to you.
12-11-2015, 08:31 AM
(12-11-2015 08:27 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 08:25 AM)morondog Wrote:  I don't claim that there's a *benefit*. Just that... for myself I think that I haven't got a *choice* about belief. The stuff that's put forward as evidence is highly not convincing. It feels like lies. I don't understand why it doesn't feel like lies to you.
Please give me an example of something you felt was a lie to you.

Jesus died for my sins Rolleyes

12-11-2015, 08:32 AM
(12-11-2015 08:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 08:27 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Please give me an example of something you felt was a lie to you.

Jesus died for my sins Rolleyes
How did you conclude that it was a lie?
12-11-2015, 08:35 AM
(12-11-2015 08:13 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I am no scientist where the credibility of my research is in question based on the existence of God.
Not quite. There are scientists and researchers who believe. The only time it's an issue (and it's rare) is if said belief becomes the basis or explanation of study.

For example, the creator of the MRI is a Christian. But no one avoids a scan for that reason. We use mathematics, even though many historical ones (al-Jabr, from which we derive algebra) were theists. They just didn't let their beliefs become science.

As long as a researcher doesn't fill in gaps with their deity/deities their belief isn't an issue for the majority.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
12-11-2015, 08:54 AM
(12-11-2015 08:35 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 08:13 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I am no scientist where the credibility of my research is in question based on the existence of God.
Not quite. There are scientists and researchers who believe. The only time it's an issue (and it's rare) is if said belief becomes the basis or explanation of study.

For example, the creator of the MRI is a Christian. But no one avoids a scan for that reason. We use mathematics, even though many historical ones (al-Jabr, from which we derive algebra) were theists. They just didn't let their beliefs become science.

As long as a researcher doesn't fill in gaps with their deity/deities their belief isn't an issue for the majority.
Good point. I agree with your statement. I guess a more specific example would be a paleontologist who was a creationist.